Class of 2018 - PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington

One thing that shines through in his videos clips -- this kid can REALLY run the floor. He's a gazelle.

Love lefty bigs, too.

Kid has a lot of potential - especially given that he is going through / just underwent a growth spurt.

We'd have two lefty bigs, pretty unique.

One thing that shines through in his videos clips -- this kid can REALLY run the floor. He's a gazelle.

Love lefty bigs, too.

Kid has a lot of potential - especially given that he is going through / just underwent a growth spurt.
Yep, very few big men are anywhere close to being a finished product at that age. If the raw tools beyond size are suggested like coordination and mobility, you've got good materials to work with. Doesn't mean you've got the next Olajuwan on your hands or anything, but there are reasons for optimism.

That just gave me flashbacks of that high school clip of McCullough taking the ball down 3/4 of the court in 2 dribbles for a fast break dunk.

I signed on to pay $1 a month but in trying to get into the latest Patreon update on Nate Roberts, it wouldn't allow me access. What's up?

Here's the thing: I wasn't blown away by Nate's older clips. Occasionally he showed flashes when he ran the floor but that was when he was about 6'8". Now he's 6'11" but he didn't put up big numbers during the summer AAU circuit. Not sure if he had the opportunity to do so but that concerned me somewhat. Still, JB and Red have seen him a lot and obviously love this kid. I just wish we got a good look at him at his current height.

I don't dislike him. I just wish I've literally seen more. I couldn't even do a writeup of him and his skills in good conscience since I haven't seen enough. Can anyone post a highlight reel that shows off his skills? Is there anything current out there? I can't find anything.

Imagine if he went from 6'8 to 6'11 this year that there was a pretty big transition in just keeping coordination up as your body/limbs are growing that much that quickly. Combine that with guards not passing and it can explain some of why his eybl numbers were poor, but they were REALLY poor. I'm just hoping that in 2/3 years that we have a super athletic 7 footer in the middle of the zone complimenting Sidibe's physicality.

Imagine if he went from 6'8 to 6'11 this year that there was a pretty big transition in just keeping coordination up as your body/limbs are growing that much that quickly. Combine that with guards not passing and it can explain some of why his eybl numbers were poor, but they were REALLY poor. I'm just hoping that in 2/3 years that we have a super athletic 7 footer in the middle of the zone complimenting Sidibe's physicality.

Doesn't play above the rim. That bothers me a little

Doesn't play above the rim. That bothers me a little
You know who seldom played above the rim? Bill Russell. Certainly, there are more leapers in the game today, but Russell constantly made the points that (1) most rebounds are grabbed below the rim; and (2) good defense means that you did your work before your man got in position put up a shot. When you think about it, most shots are blocked before they arc above the rim, and many of those that are blocked above the rim result in goal tending.

I'm not comparing Roberts to Russ. Just pointing out that you can be an effective center without great hops (good timing sure helps, though).

Batter up, Nate. Your turn to commit! ;)
Pretty nice cohort for Nate to join in '18: Lights out shooter; Top 35 PG who can defend and get to the rim at will; and Top 10 forward who is a matchup nightmare and threat to score at all 3 levels. You're going to enjoy beating Duke in front of 30,000, Nate.

Last edited: