Class of 2020 - PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Woody Newton (MD) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

I'm honestly not sure who to compare Woody to. He is a kid that can defend and hustle but is also athletic. I have seen him to put back dunks off of perimeter shots which something Matt Moyer and other kids who aren't great athletes can't do. I think he already has good size and weight for his age and has a pretty good handle. He also is not afraid of contact. He kind of remind me of CJ Fair a little although he doesn't have CJ's mid range game. Also his perimeter shooting looks a lot better than it did a year ago in my opinion. I'm not saying he is a good shooter but it has gotten better.

He reminds me of Ryan Blackwell. Combo forward, solid college player, should be good in our system...the shoot form is a little Lonzo Ball-ish

I like this kid. prototype SU forward

I hope he comes in with that style and attitude from day one. This could be my I walked up hill in the snow both ways moment but I feel like 80s and 90s Cuse forwards did not give a @!$#. They wanted to destroy you ( I also realize it was big east bb). It just feels like we have had guys that wanted to throw down but it would back rim. (Lydon, silent g). Give me a rim shaker that doesn't care

I hope he comes in with that style and attitude from day one. This could be my I walked up hill in the snow both ways moment but I feel like 80s and 90s Cuse forwards did not give a @!$#. They wanted to destroy you ( I also realize it was big east bb). It just feels like we have had guys that wanted to throw down but it would back rim. (Lydon, silent g). Give me a rim shaker that doesn't care
The game was more physically back then, there was no such thing as a stretch 4... I miss those days!

Have a great feeling about this kids. Baltimore tough

Haven’t really followed Newton’s recruitment closely, but kid reminds me a lot of Matt Moyer. Plays hard, not a great shooter. His shooting stroke is pretty identical to Moyer’s as well. Hopefully his game translates better.

He looks more like Damone Brown to me. Brown was a late bloomer, but became a very good all around player by his junior and senior years.

Moyer was kind of an awkward Terrence Roberts who never got it together. Terrific kid, very smart, great parents. But he wasn't up to it.

I’m not sure what other people think but Newton looks quicker and more explosive in some of the more recent stuff I’ve scene. It’s hard to know because they are not full games just highlights and sometimes the timeline is not 100% clear.

I’m not sure what other people think but Newton looks quicker and more explosive in some of the more recent stuff I’ve scene. It’s hard to know because they are not full games just highlights and sometimes the timeline is not 100% clear.
It will be nice to see some recent stuff on him this year. Not much to go off of.

What recruit doesn't look good in his high school tapes? 90% of the guys they are playing against are not D1 players.

Great to have you officially join our Orange Basketball family, Woody!!!

cusehoopsrocksthedome.gif