Class of 2022 - PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA) | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Dior Johnson (NY / CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of us are hoping he doesn't come to SU - It's just common sense that he doesn't...

This is sadly correct. We don't have a system that kids trust they can walk into, get 20+ ppg in year one, and then leave for the NBA. They know its a slog and a grind and stats come hard. And the 5 star kids dont want to wait anymore.

My best guess is that he never steps a foot on the Syracuse campus to play basketball here...
vf8srw7obaq51.png

None of us are hoping he doesn't come to SU - It's just common sense that he doesn't...

it is common sense it is not for certain is what you should be saying, if you are going to resort to the strength of your own common sense.

This is sadly correct. We don't have a system that kids trust they can walk into, get 20+ ppg in year one, and then leave for the NBA. They know its a slog and a grind and stats come hard. And the 5 star kids dont want to wait anymore.

you missed the mark, again... the discussion is not whether he comes to syracuse v another college. the discussion is whether he comes to syracuse or does not play college. no one is concerned about the former. there is legitimate uncertainty regarding the latter.

And yet, it has happened (more than once) for the right players to come in and lead the team as freshman.

And yet, it has happened (more than once) for the right players to come in and lead the team as freshman.

Come on man. We are going to say that an elite player who wants to be a high lottery pick in one year has anywhere close to the pathway to doing that coming to Syracuse as one of the NBA prep schools of UK and Duke? Come on man...I know its "possible" but our system makes it really hard and borderline kids dont want to deal with that uncertainty.

you missed the mark, again... the discussion is not whether he comes to syracuse v another college. the discussion is whether he comes to syracuse or does not play college. no one is concerned about the former. there is legitimate uncertainty regarding the latter.

I'm just worried he chooses not to come here. Any option that means he doesnt come here is not a good one

Here's the thing.

We can pretend that he is the rare unique recruit somehow reads the landscape differently than allllll the other elite players do...and then be crushed...yet again...if he doesnt.

Or

We can be realistic, hope he ends up sticking with his commitment but preparing for him not to, and then if he does wear a Syracuse uniform, for even a year, it is a cool and exciting surprise.

I know which one I feel like getting my emotions around. I don't see any downside to hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Or how about people take him at his word, with some understanding of the context? He's a 16 year old kid, living in a place, unable to do the thing he went there for, 1,000 miles from home and 500 miles from a decent orthopedic surgeon. I'd miss my mother too.

Bunch of Waldorf and Statlers on this board.
1601573987235.png

Or how about people take him at his word, with some understanding of the context? He's a 16 year old kid, living in a place, unable to do the thing he went there for, 1,000 miles from home and 500 miles from a decent orthopedic surgeon. I'd miss my mother too.

View attachment 188785

Who is hating? I dont hate him. I respect whatever decision he makes.

What has kind of indication ever been shown that would make u say that ? Honestly

gut feel...the transfer issue is a redflag imo. You can understand once, or even twice but multiple times is maybe a look in the mirror issue and I also worry about 'handlers' in this situation.

Other reasons, committed way to early. I believe if research was done on the subject we'd find the majority of kids who commit that early don't stick, but more importantly this being basketball he doesn't need to go to college to make money. and again, I worry about handlers in this situation. People in his ear.

Look I hope I'm wrong, the young man sure does bleed orange.

gut feel...the transfer issue is a redflag imo. You can understand once, or even twice but multiple times is maybe a look in the mirror issue and I also worry about 'handlers' in this situation.

Other reasons, committed way to early. I believe if research was done on the subject we'd find the majority of kids who commit that early don't stick, but more importantly this being basketball he doesn't need to go to college to make money. and again, I worry about handlers in this situation. People in his ear.

my response is not directed at you it’s more for the entire fan base. How in the world can a fan base find the negative in a kid committing way too early. Instead of looking at all the positives of why he wants to be orange, somehow everyone makes that into a negative. For anyone that has a 15-17 year old kid, to say that there are not peaks and valleys in their life no matter what the aspect is, would be insane to not think. Every kid goes through stuff and THINGS HAPPEN. That doesn’t mean they are going to decommit because all of a sudden he goes back home. Stop thinking everything is about Syracuse too lol and going to go poorly ! This fan base loves to do that

View attachment 188785
Solid statement

Come on man. We are going to say that an elite player who wants to be a high lottery pick in one year has anywhere close to the pathway to doing that coming to Syracuse as one of the NBA prep schools of UK and Duke? Come on man...I know its "possible" but our system makes it really hard and borderline kids dont want to deal with that uncertainty.
That isn't the argument you made. I replied to the comment, to paraphrase, that kids don't trust they can come to SU and put up good numbers as a freshman. You never made a comparison to other programs.
Btw, even if we lose a majority of recruiting battles to Duke, UK and KU, we have won those a few times. So, clearly JB and SU resonate with the occasional kid. Let's not make it sound like we're a lower tier program.

my response is not directed at you it’s more for the entire fan base. How in the world can a fan base find the negative in a kid committing way too early. Instead of looking at all the positives of why he wants to be orange, somehow everyone makes that into a negative. For anyone that has a 15-17 year old kid, to say that there are not peaks and valleys in their life no matter what the aspect is, would be insane to not think. Every kid goes through stuff and THINGS HAPPEN. That doesn’t mean they are going to decommit because all of a sudden he goes back home. Stop thinking everything is about Syracuse too lol and going to go poorly ! This fan base loves to do that

I'm historically one of the more positive posters so the sky isn't always falling in my world. My 17 year old changes his mind just about every hour so when a kid commits in 8th or 9th grade that makes me skeptical. But when we're talking about a kids 'dream' school then all bets are off. All the transfers are not a positive though and you could probably trend that kind of thing to. cheers

Last edited:
I'm historically one of the more positive posters so the sky isn't always falling in my world. My 17 year old changes his mind just about every hour so when a kid commits in 8th or 9th grade that makes me skeptical. But when we're talking about a kids 'dream' school then all bets are off. But all the transfers are not a positive. You could probably also trend that kind of thing to. cheers

I also reject the notion that acknowledging reality means "sky is falling" there's a big difference between "Is not" and "Can not".

DIon Waiters - Wikapedia
High school career[edit]

As a freshman, Waiters attended Bartram High School and South Philadelphia High School in Philadelphia, but did not play basketball at either school.[3] Waiters committed to Syracuse during the summer after his freshman year despite not having played a minute of high school ball.[4] In his sophomore year of high school, Waiters attended South Kent School. Waiters then played basketball at Life Center Academy his junior and senior years. Following his senior year, Waiters was ranked as the 15th best overall recruit according to ESPNU and ranked as the No. 2 best shooting guard in the ESPN 100. Waiters was also ranked as the 29th best overall recruit by .[5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom