Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

It amazes me that division I athletes have to break their shooting hand in order to develop their off hand. This is stuff that should’ve been addressed in middle school.

It amazes me that division I athletes have to break their shooting hand in order to develop their off hand. This is stuff that should’ve been addressed in middle school.
Did you read the article? He's not doing it to develop his left hand...he's doing it to continue to workout, just not going to use his broken hand. Kid just wants to play ball(while having a broken hand).

anyone wanna guess as to what jalen's ranking will be this summer? top 30?

Bob Cousy suffered a dominant-side injury (broken arm?) in high school. In his biography, he says that's what made him develop his left.

Biancardi was just asked during the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN which player outside of the top 20 could have a ‘Trae Young like impact’ next season. He didn’t hesitate and said Jalen Carey, great scorer who is not being talked about enough :cool:

Bob Cousy suffered a dominant-side injury (broken arm?) in high school. In his biography, he says that's what made him develop his left.
My summer before my junior year a HS coach told me to work on my left. The drills were all based on daily routines. Brushing teeth, cutting your food, drinking from a cup, doing any chore such as washing dishes, folding clothes... Everything possible with my left hand. It worked. By my Senior year my handle was almost as good with my left hand as right. Great attitude by JC i think his injury might actually end up helping his game.

Biancardi was just asked during the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN which player outside of the top 20 could have a ‘Trae Young like impact’ next season. He didn’t hesitate and said Jalen Carey, great scorer who is not being talked about enough :cool:

That’s awesome. Yeah, I’m super high on him too but he needs minutes and is expecting minutes. He’s potentially the X factor and a guy who can fix some transition woes and our lack of speed from the lead guard position.

That’s awesome. Yeah, I’m super high on him too but he needs minutes and is expecting minutes. He’s potentially the X factor and a guy who can fix some transition woes and our lack of speed from the lead guard position.

Only JB can fix that.

Only JB can fix that.

We’ll see. It will be interesting to see how that issue is resolved (or not). Plenty of posters feel Frank isn’t suited for running because of his lack of speed and handle. People also share your opinion that Frank is fine and it was all on JB. Post a poll? Personally I think it is a combo of both...JB slowing the game down for many reasons and Frank issues. Regardless, Carey is a ‘downhill’ player. I think it will be an obvious and glaring difference between Carey’s ability to run and get downhill VS Frank’s scooter from KMart.

Last edited:
We’ll see. It will be interesting to see how that issue is resolved (or not). Plenty of posters feel Frank isn’t suited for running because of his lack of speed and handle. People also share your opinion that Frank is fine and it was all on JB. Post a poll? Personally I think it is a combo of both...JB slowing the game down for many reasons and Frank issues. Regardless, Carey is a ‘downhill’ player. I think it will be an obvious and glaring difference between Carey’s ability to run and get downhill VS Frank’s scooter from KMart.
I think is is many reasons. But playing basically 5 guys it makes sense to make the game smaller, not larger.

Somehow frank must have forgotten how to run. Whether you want to grasp it or not, it was JBs decision to slow the game down and minimize possession by both teams while playing predominantly iso ball. If we really wanted to run some, the outlet could have gone to battle if Howard was so clueless on how to run. But we never gave any inclination to run as the guards always came back for the ball on a rebound.

The very first thing is rebounding the ball and pivoting to get a pass up court to someone breaking. When Chewy got the rebound, he had all he could do to maintain possession let alone turning and finding the outlet. We also did a good job rebounding for the most part because we sent our SF and PG to the boards so much. That’s not conducive to running.

As to frank and his lack of speed and handle, he’s plenty fast enough. He’s shown it in prior years as well as in steals where he scored almost all the time. It was battle who struggled to score after a steal. And you could go back to the tapes and see that franks turnovers largely were on passes, not having the ball stoken from him or dribbling off his feet like some of you claim. There was one post where someone said frank had to stop getting the ball stripped from him in the backcourt. How often did that happen? Once?

If we’re gonna really run next year it’s becsuse the bigs can hit the boards allowing the others to get out on the break and the bigs finding the break. A true running team doesn’t just look for 1 player, the PG. Otherwise you won’t be running much. Takes 5 guys to be able to effectively run.

But keep putting all the teams woes on one player.

Somehow frank must have forgotten how to run. Whether you want to grasp it or not, it was JBs decision to slow the game down and minimize possession by both teams while playing predominantly iso ball. If we really wanted to run some, the outlet could have gone to battle if Howard was so clueless on how to run. But we never gave any inclination to run as the guards always came back for the ball on a rebound.

The very first thing is rebounding the ball and pivoting to get a pass up court to someone breaking. When Chewy got the rebound, he had all he could do to maintain possession let alone turning and finding the outlet. We also did a good job rebounding for the most part because we sent our SF and PG to the boards so much. That’s not conducive to running.

As to frank and his lack of speed and handle, he’s plenty fast enough. He’s shown it in prior years as well as in steals where he scored almost all the time. It was battle who struggled to score after a steal. And you could go back to the tapes and see that franks turnovers largely were on passes, not having the ball stoken from him or dribbling off his feet like some of you claim. There was one post where someone said frank had to stop getting the ball stripped from him in the backcourt. How often did that happen? Once?

If we’re gonna really run next year it’s becsuse the bigs can hit the boards allowing the others to get out on the break and the bigs finding the break. A true running team doesn’t just look for 1 player, the PG. Otherwise you won’t be running much. Takes 5 guys to be able to effectively run.

I’m not. I know we were thin. I know at times our bigs have trouble catching and finishing. JB’s decision was mostly right.

But, you overrate Frank’s ability with the ball and his speed IMO, and, one doesn’t need to do what you claim in order to get moving some. Watch any Kansas or UNC game. Or a hundred other teams. He just doesn’t look comfortable moving quickly with the ball. There were also countless of other possessions which not necessarily were charged to Frank as a TO, but, he was responsible for discombobulating the offense. Not seeing a trap is coming soon enough. Not being able to get around a hedger most of the time. Never splitting a double. Picking up his drinble sometimes without any pressure. All that factors in and the lack of speed/lack of ability to change speeds suddenly or show a quick burst contributes. We will just keep going back and forth on this and I’m not bashing the guy. Post a poll.

Last edited:
I’m not. I know we were thin. I know at times our bigs have trouble catching and finishing. JB’s decision was mostly right.

But, you overrate Frank’s ability with the ball and his speed IMO, and, one doesn’t need to do what you claim in order to get moving some. Watch any Kansas or UNC game. Or a hundred other teams. He just doesn’t look comfortable moving quickly with the ball. There were also countless of other possessions which not necessarily were charged to Frank as a TO, but, he was responsible for discombobulating the offense. Not seeing a trap is coming soon enough. Not being able to get around a hedger most of the time. Never splitting a double. Picking up his drinble sometimes without any pressure. All that factors in and the lack of speed/lack of ability to change speeds suddenly or show a quick burst contributes. We will just keep going back and forth on this and I’m not bashing the guy. Post a poll.

The only poll that matters is JBs.

Oh, and most of this stuff is malarkey. You see something happen once or twice and you call it a trait. The only thing I’ll agree with is that while I don’t think he’s slow up and down the court, he’s not “quick”. Must talk guards aren’t when looking st small guards in comparison. And as to the turnovers there are as many if not more that go the other way. The worst was a pass to Dolezaj inside that went thru his hands and almost hit him in the face. Turnover Frank. Another was an alley oop to Chewy when the defender had a hold of Chewys jersey and he didn’t get up. Turnover Frank. Another late in the game and another alley oop, Chewy must have been dragging cause he never even left the floor and it was a perfect alley oop. Turnover Frank. Another was Moyer zigging when he was supposed to zag cutting to the backer. Jb got upset with Moyer. Turnover Frank. Works both ways. You see all things one way.

Oh, and most of this stuff is malarkey. You see something happen once or twice and you call it a trait. The only thing I’ll agree with is that while I don’t think he’s slow up and down the court, he’s not “quick”. Must talk guards aren’t when looking st small guards in comparison. And as to the turnovers there are as many if not more that go the other way. The worst was a pass to Dolezaj inside that went thru his hands and almost hit him in the face. Turnover Frank. Another was an alley oop to Chewy when the defender had a hold of Chewys jersey and he didn’t get up. Turnover Frank. Another late in the game and another alley oop, Chewy must have been dragging cause he never even left the floor and it was a perfect alley oop. Turnover Frank. Another was Moyer zigging when he was supposed to zag cutting to the backer. Jb got upset with Moyer. Turnover Frank. Works both ways. You see all things one way.

Wrong. Just as much malarkey with what you’re saying in terms of defending what he is doing or not doing with the ball regarding the discombobulating part. I’ve already admitted that there are plays where the bigs can’t catch it, finish, or do something wrong. You see it all “one way” also. We’ll never agree so let’s see what changes next season.

From his lips to gods ears.

Its a combination of issues including the fact that Franks handle is marginal. JB absolutely game planned as well as anyone could have given our many weaknesses. Running would not have been a good idea.

Its a combination of issues including the fact that Franks handle is marginal. JB absolutely game planned as well as anyone could have given our many weaknesses. Running would not have been a good idea.

It's easier to handle the ball in the open court than the halfcourt.

Chukwu, Moyer, and Brissett's inability to finish/catch the ball played a big part.

I guess it's easier to blame Howard for every issue we had this year. Just like it is to blame coach Mcnamara for every recruiting issue.

Really good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom