Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely ok with landing either JJ or Quadir. That said, it would be nice to keep the local kid home. Defend our turf! Hope we hear something soon.
And this is where NIL may start having a major impact. Kids are gonna weigh whether it’s worth more to stay home and capitalize, than go elsewhere. Clingan stayed home in part because that’s where he could maximize his NIL. JJ would probably fare better as the local kid starring at the major college program, than go fit in somewhere else.

JJ could probably start earning here almost immediately. At another school he might not be very well known until January '23.

Where did he say that?
I'm making an assumption, but honestly that would seem like commonsense, no? Local kid stays home with a following already established, social media, marketing, and endorsement possibilities are much better at home than going elsewhere. JJ at SU would seem to open up more possibilities than JJ at Alabama. JMHO

I'm making an assumption, but honestly that would seem like commonsense, no? Local kid stays home with a following already established, social media, marketing, and endorsement possibilities are much better at home than going elsewhere. JJ at SU would seem to open up more possibilities than JJ at Alabama. JMHO
You should make assumptions statements of fact.
I think he stayed home because his mom died and he is close to his family, and not ready to be far away.

You should make assumptions statements of fact.
I think he stayed home because his mom died and he is close to his family, and not ready to be far away.
I guess you meant "shouldn't", but i won't make that assumption...wouldn't wanna upset you. Of course he stayed home because of family, etc. but as I suggested, perhaps the NIL may have also added in that decision. JMHO

And this is where NIL may start having a major impact. Kids are gonna weigh whether it’s worth more to stay home and capitalize, than go elsewhere. Clingan stayed home in part because that’s where he could maximize his NIL. JJ would probably fare better as the local kid starring at the major college program, than go fit in somewhere else.
You are correct. This is from the Hartford Courant.

“The state’s Gatorade player of the year as a junior, Donovan is already well-known in Connecticut, so it figures there will be unique opportunities to earn income from his name, image and likeness right here, close to home.”

Accessible link

“The state’s Gatorade player of the year as a junior, Donovan is already well-known in Connecticut, so it figures there will be unique opportunities to earn income from his name, image and likeness right here, close to home.”

Accessible link
Yes, he will have good NIL opportunities, but the quote doesn't say that the increased income possibility was a major (or any) factor in his decision.

Yes, he will have good NIL opportunities, but the quote doesn't say that the increased income possibility was a major (or any) factor in his decision.

It's been 3 days? It's not like it's easy to shop NIL opportunities. It's just getting started and way too early for kids to get that much insight. What is clear is that where you have a following and brand there is money to be made and thus when it comes to NIL it's common sense that staying local would clearly be easier money and provide immediate NIL benefits.

JJ going to be a hometown hero and the NIL opportunities he'll have for staying home will be better then somewhere else. Our scrap man has this under control!

20210703_223449.jpg

JJ going to be a hometown hero and the NIL opportunities he'll have for staying home will be better then somewhere else. Our scrap man has this under control!

View attachment 203152
Yeah he's in the game now, which many believed he wanted to be somehow. Now that there's nothing illegal it will be interesting to see just how "engaged " he gets into the game. JJ will be an interesting first potentially for us to observe. Strap on your seatbelts folks, it's about to get a little wild. And people thought recruiting was up and down before? Wait till we get a verbal and suddenly they back out when a bigger check gets offered. Some of ya all are gonna either need dramamine or a bottle of Jameson to get through this now if you didn't like it before.

It's been 3 days? It's not like it's easy to shop NIL opportunities. It's just getting started and way too early for kids to get that much insight. What is clear is that where you have a following and brand there is money to be made and thus when it comes to NIL it's common sense that staying local would clearly be easier money and provide immediate NIL benefits.
Yeah…it’s really not that hard.

Accessible link
So it figures…. It doesn’t say that was part of HIS decision making.

Yeah he's in the game now, which many believed he wanted to be somehow. Now that there's nothing illegal it will be interesting to see just how "engaged " he gets into the game. JJ will be an interesting first potentially for us to observe. Strap on your seatbelts folks, it's about to get a little wild. And people thought recruiting was up and down before? Wait till we get a verbal and suddenly they back out when a bigger check gets offered. Some of ya all are gonna either need dramamine or a bottle of Jameson to get through this now if you didn't like it before.
Could I get a Wellers on the rocks instead.

So it figures…. It doesn’t say that was part of HIS decision making.
You’re correct that there is no direct statement but we do know that the non-basketball sales pitch from Hurley has included personal brand development and the unique NIL opportunities in a market with only one professional team. It’s almost certain that Hurley let him know his NIL value would be higher immediately where he is known. I’m stating the obvious, but unless you are a phenom, starting, or have an existing social media following you’re not going to get much of anything until you make a name for yourself on the court. Being local he has opportunities day one. Even if this was not a major factor in the decision making process it definitely was known to Donovan and was a box that none of the other schools could check. I’m sure a similar pitch is being used by you with JJ.

A sens
You’re correct that there is no direct statement but we do know that the non-basketball sales pitch from Hurley has included personal brand development and the unique NIL opportunities in a market with only one professional team. It’s almost certain that Hurley let him know his NIL value would be higher immediately where he is known. I’m stating the obvious, but unless you are a phenom, starting, or have an existing social media following you’re not going to get much of anything until you make a name for yourself on the court. Being local he has opportunities day one. Even if this was not a major factor in the decision making process it definitely was known to Donovan and was a box that none of the other schools could check. I’m sure a similar pitch is being used by you with JJ.
A sensible and logical uconn fan on syracusefan forums?! Unicorn sighting

The more I read and watch the more it's salivating over having JJ with Quadir, Joe and JT to pair with Kamari, Benny, Flip, Jesse and Frank.

It's a legit 9 man rotation with room for two guys to be occasionally sitting more given situation. Also it gives you position flex to have 3 guys who can play every position.

It's a dream I know but the ideal scenario for a two year window of being a legit title contender.

Add in 2 guys or even 3 for '23 and keep it rolling.

View attachment 203152

I didn't realize how rich he was until I just looked him up... Weitsman could shake life changing money for most recruits out of his couch cushions. This is the sort of guy who can be a difference maker all by himself.

"Well, JJ, I think your image can be very valuable to my companies at a school like Syracuse... Say $500,000 per year for some billboards and a couple 60 second spots? But, at a school like Alabama?" He sadly shakes his head. "Not much down there. I'm sure you'll make a wise decision."

I didn't realize how rich he was until I just looked him up... Weitsman could shake life changing money for most recruits out of his couch cushions. This is the sort of guy who can be a difference maker all by himself.

"Well, JJ, I think your image can be very valuable to my companies at a school like Syracuse... Say $500,000 per year for some billboards and a couple 60 second spots? But, at a school like Alabama?" He sadly shakes his head. "Not much down there. I'm sure you'll make a wise decision."
Is there any arbiter of "fair market value" for this money. Before, the payments of recruits was just for access to the program and jock sniffing privileges. No monetary ROI anticipated. Now that it is an investment, does anyone have the right to say that $1,000,000.00 for a 60 second commercial is not really FMV for NIL? Does it matter?

Idk how much he’s worth but he’s gotta be a billionaire with a B. Pretty wild that he still hangs out in Cuse all the time and established roots here with his daughter and helps out the community a ton. I respect it and dudes come a long way from his last which I respect even more. Also wild how many celebrities he is friends with like A-List for being a recycling guy from CNY lol and they all seem to love guys. Props to him

Status
Not open for further replies.