Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how long Copeland will wait.

Or IF the coaches are willing to wait til mid-Fall for JJ to decide - which still guarantees exactly nada.

So - IF Quadir is ready to go, we should take the bird in the hand.

Rather than risk ending up with a handful of nothing. (o hai Quade!)

Who says we aren't in good shape with Copeland? People are saying things and they got no clue.

Then don't string him along and take his commitment if we don't get one of the other guards by this weekend. I had the sense he was ready to pull the trigger and they asked him to wait.

We’ve lost the momentum after signing Taylor. We might strike out with all three guards. Flip doesn’t look as promising either with Duke becoming the clear leader according to all the experts. JJ is hard to figure out. He’s said very little about any of the schools recruiting him. Only time will tell.
Why go there? We haven't lost any mo. Because there is no mo to have. Kids decide at their own pace. And it's always an individual's choice. We are at the top or near top of any kid's list that we are recruiting. Give it some time. It's July.

We’ve lost the momentum after signing Taylor. We might strike out with all three guards. Flip doesn’t look as promising either with Duke becoming the clear leader according to all the experts. JJ is hard to figure out. He’s said very little about any of the schools recruiting him. Only time will tell.
Lmao I can't with some of yall. Quadir is practically a lock, we still have a good shot at JJ. Chance is going to LSU Cuse or Professionally, An Indiana insider said the teams to beat recruiting Flip rn are Duke and Cuse, like come on. Were still on Chris Bunch, Yann Farell as well.

Then don't string him along and take his commitment if we don't get one of the other guards by this weekend. I had the sense he was ready to pull the trigger and they asked him to wait.
That's not true. He's told me multiple times he's waiting until after Peach Jam. Not sure if he decides to make a quicker decision. If he does great, if he doesn't that's fine too

Remember Dior and JJ had a little beef going a while back and then Dior committed to us. I don’t think JJ would necessarily hold that against us … essentially choosing Dior over him, but you never know

Really? So how can a school like Texas somehow sign 5 (!!) top 30 rated transfers from the portal—plus return several key guys from last year’s team—and have no issues making the playing time pitch? Or Kentucky can bring in like 4 top transfer/freshman guards and none of them seem to be concerned about playing time (they should, btw). But we sign one top 60 high school guard and we’re somehow cut off from getting others that might play his position? I assume you’re way off on what you’re saying here.

Last edited:
Is this true? Or complete speculation? I don’t see why we wouldn’t take Quadir’s commitment. We’ve been recruiting him heavily.

At this point no player is committing until after Peach Jam. There's no reason to get all wound up about nothing.
For those of us who don’t live and die with this kind of stuff, when is Peach Jam? Besides, I assume, Copeland, is JJ or any other SU recruits playing in it?

Really? So how can a school like Texas somehow sign 5 (!!) top 30 rated transfers from the portal—plus return several key guys from last year’s team—and have no issues making the playing time pitch? Or Kentucky can bring in like 4 top transfer/freshman guards and none of them seem to be concerned about playing time (they should, btw). But we sign one top 60 high school guard and we’re somehow cut off from getting others that might play his position? I assume you’re way off on what you’re saying here.
That’s not remotely what I said. You need to chill. I’m sure we’ll sign other players. At the time, it felt things might happen quickly.

Unreal how much panic ensues over the course of 2 weeks of silence. It’s like we expect these things to happen on our schedule, or else something is really really wrong here…or GMac screwed it up! Rinse and repeat. Lol

In these times, and with our recent track record in recruiting (losing a bunch of people we waited on to make their decisions), it only makes sense that if a kid is good enough to offer him an official visit, and he is in a position of need for the team, that if someone is willing to commit, take the commitment, don't say "nah, we're waiting on this other guy, but you're next in line". Bird in the hand, as they say.

Why go there? We haven't lost any mo. Because there is no mo to have. Kids decide at their own pace. And it's always an individual's choice. We are at the top or near top of any kid's list that we are recruiting. Give it some time. It's July.

I totally agree with what ur saying - and it makes perfect sense - problem is - I've seen that movie and so I know how it ends

Lmao I can't with some of yall. Quadir is practically a lock, we still have a good shot at JJ. Chance is going to LSU Cuse or Professionally, An Indiana insider said the teams to beat recruiting Flip rn are Duke and Cuse, like come on. Were still on Chris Bunch, Yann Farell as well.
Yupppp. I will say Chance is not coming here. Copeland is pretty much a lock like you said. We are in a good spot with JJ, his recruitment is pretty wide open right now but our staff is doing a great job selling the hometown hero aspect, we have as good a shot if not better than anyone else. Flip is a pretty open recruitment too, like you were saying though it’s pretty much a Duke-Cuse battle right now but a lot of teams are entering the ring now and things could change up as he’s not making a decision anytime soon. Bunch if we put the full course press on him we would probably get him sooner rather than later but right now I believe he’s more of a backup option. By the end of July we will have some bee names at the center spot as well with new offers so keep a lookout. Overall we are killing it recruiting right now and I’m confident we will finish with a strong and a top 8 recruiting class in the country when it’s all said and done

We have one hell of a product to sell. Hopefully JJ and Flip and Copeland all see it. There is only one place in college or the pros that you can go play in front of 35,000 of your fans. One place, that's it. No choice there. There are only a few hall-of-fame coaches left in college basketball, we have one. We are in the best conference, maybe not every single year, but 8 out of 10 years, we are the best conference. If you like Duke or UNC or Virginia...come to Syracuse and beat them. Sure, you may not get paid by the shoe companies to come play for Syracuse, but you have the biggest crowds of crazy fans. And, the squad that is being assembled needs just a few more pieces to be incredibly exciting and special.

I totally agree with what ur saying - and it makes perfect sense - problem is - I've seen that movie and so I know how it ends
No you don't. Unless you have only been a fan in recent years. And there were any number of factors that limited our recruiting success during that time period. No one, not me, not you, not the coaches, know for sure who we will end up with. Having said that, we have already recruited two top 100 players. Did you know we were going to do that? And we are very much in the mix for others. Any mutual fund prospectus will tell you, the past is no guarantee of the future. Same is true in recruiting. UNC wanted Taylor. He is going to Syracuse. Let it play out.

In these times, and with our recent track record in recruiting (losing a bunch of people we waited on to make their decisions), it only makes sense that if a kid is good enough to offer him an official visit, and he is in a position of need for the team, that if someone is willing to commit, take the commitment, don't say "nah, we're waiting on this other guy, but you're next in line". Bird in the hand, as they say.
But do you know that this is what happened or are you just speculating? I’d hope the staff learned from the Quade situation and that’s probably what’s driving the angst in the fanbase.
I too hate the “all-eggs-in-one basket” recruiting M.O., but we have to give JB and staff benefit of the doubt, no? What choice do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.