Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or IF the coaches are willing to wait til mid-Fall for JJ to decide - which still guarantees exactly nada.

So - IF Quadir is ready to go, we should take the bird in the hand.

Rather than risk ending up with a handful of nothing. (o hai Quade!)
The better business move.

But do you know that this is what happened or are you just speculating? I’d hope the staff learned from the Quade situation and that’s probably what’s driving the angst in the fanbase.
I too hate the “all-eggs-in-one basket” recruiting M.O., but we have to give JB and staff benefit of the doubt, no? What choice do we have?

Of course I don't know. It's knowledgeable speculation. I used to profile players at the camps for our website 20 years ago. Mason and Rob and I used to provide free previews of upcoming games, quarterly report cards of how the players were doing. I used to be among the content providers for the early years of this web community.

We went to the camps, we met NCAA coaches and AAU coaches. So it's informed speculation. Some people have connections to people on the current staff or in the AD's office. I used to have more connections than I do now (now I have nearly none...), but I understand how this stuff works.

I have been paying attention to recruiting for at least 25 years, going back to those Big East recruiting newsletters, from Howard Garfinkel and Brick Oettinger and a bunch of those old guys, sitting in the media booth with them watching games at the ABCD camp in Hackensack for about 6 years when I lived down there.

Of course I don't know. It's knowledgeable speculation. I used to profile players at the camps for our website 20 years ago. Mason and Rob and I used to provide free previews of upcoming games, quarterly report cards of how the players were doing. I used to be among the content providers for the early years of this web community.

We went to the camps, we met NCAA coaches and AAU coaches. So it's informed speculation. Some people have connections to people on the current staff or in the AD's office. I used to have more connections than I do now (now I have nearly none...), but I understand how this stuff works.

I have been paying attention to recruiting for at least 25 years, going back to those Big East recruiting newsletters, from Howard Garfinkel and Brick Oettinger and a bunch of those old guys, sitting in the media booth with them watching games at the ABCD camp in Hackensack for about 6 years when I lived down there.

And of course, Jake and Fishy. We were kind of a crew down there at ABCD for a couple years. I am pretty sure that I was there for a couple years (and maybe Mason, too), before we started sending a bunch of people. (Forza, CTO, Frozen, maybe Bees?).

That's when the whole national recruiting scene began to take off, thanks in large part to the Internet, which turned these little regional newspaper type publications into modern scouting and rating services.

And of course, Jake and Fishy. We were kind of a crew down there at ABCD for a couple years. I am pretty sure that I was there for a couple years (and maybe Mason, too), before we started sending a bunch of people. (Forza, CTO, Frozen, maybe Bees?).

That's when the whole national recruiting scene began to take off, thanks in large part to the Internet, which turned these little regional newspaper type publications into modern scouting and rating services.
Cool stuff. Thanks for the background!

Awesome. By all means, speculate away!

With all that background do you think we are the stallee or the staller?

Smells like the Quade Green situation. We all know how that worked out.

Copeland works for me - seems like the staff really liked him from the start - yeah, it's a little concerning that he is not rated all that high - but I still remember video of JJ going up against Dior from a couple of years ago - s$it was down right abusive

Unreal how much panic ensues over the course of 2 weeks of silence. It’s like we expect these things to happen on our schedule, or else something is really really wrong here…or GMac screwed it up! Rinse and repeat. Lol

Well, when you have 5 or 6 official visits in a month, and you only have about 3 open spots, you would hope that seeing the competition for your spot would encourage you to take a chair before all the seats at your top choices are already taken.

Copeland works for me - seems like the staff really liked him from the start - yeah, it's a little concerning that he is not rated all that high - but I still remember video of JJ going up against Dior from a couple of years ago - s$it was down right abusive

Yeah, he's a true PG who is 6-6, has some sick moves, and can make Magic Johnson type of passes. He's doesn't play much defense, but 6-6 at the top of the zone, plus a year of training at IMG Academy against elite, national class competition, is going to make him a diamond. It's equivalent to him going to Oak Hill Academy, which made better players of a lot of our past recruits, or like those prep schools up in New England have done for us the last 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where this tournament is in Florida? Is there a published schedule?

This looks like all hands on deck
In JJ’s latest interview he does not sound, as some have speculated, like we’re in his rear view mirror. He simply states that all these programs are telling him great things obviously and it’s made things harder, but gushes about his relationship with the SU players and Symir in particular.
Good read & we absolutely have a great shot here.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's a true PG who is 6-6, has some sick moves, and can make Magic Johnson type of passes. He's doesn't play much defense, but 6-6 at the top of the zone, plus a year of training at IMG Academy against elite, national class competition, is going to make him a diamond. It's equivalent to him going to Oak Hill Academy, which made better players of a lot of our past recruits, or like those prep schools up in New England have done for us the last 5-10 years.
I said—a few times—that KaDary seemed to have no interest in defense in high school, and he came into college as an impactful defender, so i‘m going to try to be more cautious about that kind of assessment with recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.