Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with Quadir Copelands impending commitment, Justin Taylor coming in and most likely having Joe and Symir back...I still feel like there’s a chance the staff can make this one happen. I’m not saying it will happen (fingers crossed), but you have to think they are promising him to come in and start at the off ball guard spot with Buddy gone next year and that he’s heavily thinking about it.
It would definitely be a crowded backcourt, but in all honesty JJ looks like he would be the best option to start at the 2, out those five guys.

QC is a pure point, Joe is a bit too small to play the 2 (unless matched up with QC) ST still has to prove himself and looks to be a pure 1 and right now JJ is simply more ready to come in and contribute from day 1 over JT and it’s no debate. This kid is a killer and if he commits, the minutes will be there.

At the very least, I think it goes down to the wire with his decision and either chooses the hometown Cuse or the other school that ends up at top of his list.

JJ coming home though, would put us over the top and into the national spotlight once again and you gotta think it’s intriguing for the young man, to be the hometown hero.

Not intriguing enough to have committed already, clearly.

Not intriguing enough to have committed already, clearly.
It’s definitely no done deal, but I also don’t think it’s out of the question...I mean it’s a huge decision for anyone making a college decision and for some it’s much harder than others...and It’s hard to tell what might be going through a 17 year olds mind. You know, do you stay home and buy into the hometown team and the local support you’ll get or do you go somewhere else and get that fresh start? Everyone craves that to some degree and some more than others, so it’s hard to tell. Anyway I’m sure JJ is being supported to do what his heart wants and time will tell.
This might be a case where the longer it draws out the less likely it goes our way, but at the same time i actually think it might be the opposite and the longer he has to think about it, the more he matures, the harder it gets to pass up this unique opportunity. Big opportunity for cashing in on new NIL laws anyway...so we will see.

I prefer to remain optimistic, without expectations. So if he comes home, Great. If he chooses somewhere, wish him best of luck.

Don't forget about the NIL. Very feasible NIL deals can pay for rent for family to have a house even in Cali to be able to see more games.
Agreed, and let’s be honest, that part of the country is super nice and fun to live in. I know nothing about his family situation, but perhaps they decide to take a couple years hiatus and move out there near him. Stanford’s basketball program has suddenly been revitalized these past couple years, and really think their recruiting appeal is understated. Biggest thing going against them is that most kids aren’t smart enough to get in, but obviously Starling has the academics needed.

Agreed, and let’s be honest, that part of the country is super nice and fun to live in. I know nothing about his family situation, but perhaps they decide to take a couple years hiatus and move out there near him. Stanford’s basketball program has suddenly been revitalized these past couple years, and really think their recruiting appeal is understated. Biggest thing going against them is that most kids aren’t smart enough to get in, but obviously Starling has the academics needed.
What has been revitalized about Stanford's basketball program?

You can't fly to South Bend. If you want to get to South Bend from Syracuse, I think your best bet is to fly direct into Chicago and drive there.

A flight from Syracuse to Chicago is going to be about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Assuming everything goes well, the weather is optimal, etc.

The drive from O'Hare to South Bend is about 2 hours assuming there is no traffic.

With parking, security, checking and getting your bags, renting a car, you are probably looking at 6 or 7 hours from the time you arrive at the Syracuse airport to the time you arrive in South Bend. More if there is traffic.
South Bend is an easy 8 hour drive from Syracuse. I wouldn’t fly there, from here, due to the above issues.

It’s definitely no done deal, but I also don’t think it’s out of the question...I mean it’s a huge decision for anyone making a college decision and for some it’s much harder than others...and It’s hard to tell what might be going through a 17 year olds mind. You know, do you stay home and buy into the hometown team and the local support you’ll get or do you go somewhere else and get that fresh start? Everyone craves that to some degree and some more than others, so it’s hard to tell. Anyway I’m sure JJ is being supported to do what his heart wants and time will tell.
This might be a case where the longer it draws out the less likely it goes our way, but at the same time i actually think it might be the opposite and the longer he has to think about it, the more he matures, the harder it gets to pass up this unique opportunity. Big opportunity for cashing in on new NIL laws anyway...so we will see.

I prefer to remain optimistic, without expectations. So if he comes home, Great. If he chooses somewhere, wish him best of luck.
If it’s my kid, and he could go to Stanford, for free, that’s all I need to know. If that’s where he wanted to go, I’d start the packing.

Per Mccalister on how Copeland committing affects Starling:

Therefore, do not expect Syracuse to back off of Starling. Starling has told us a commitment from another guard would not impact his interest. He officially visited Stanford over the weekend and is expected to visit Duke this month as well.

I can see him going to Stanford due to the academics. But, I also know they are a close family. Would be tough for them to see him much being on the far west coast. Leaving SU out of the equation, ND could be the landing spot unless UNC offers.
Duke

Feels like he will be joining Flip at Duke.
1628748263296.png

You can't fly to South Bend. If you want to get to South Bend from Syracuse, I think your best bet is to fly direct into Chicago and drive there.

A flight from Syracuse to Chicago is going to be about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Assuming everything goes well, the weather is optimal, etc.

The drive from O'Hare to South Bend is about 2 hours assuming there is no traffic.

With parking, security, checking and getting your bags, renting a car, you are probably looking at 6 or 7 hours from the time you arrive at the Syracuse airport to the time you arrive in South Bend. More if there is traffic.
Fly and take the train

If he wants to be the man he won’t be going to Duke. He likely wouldn’t even start there the first year.

Duke is gaining momentum but, that's just because it's Duke. He's not going to go if they grab another guard. Our biggest competition besides Duke is Stanford.
Aren’t him and Whitehead both shooting guards?

They're not in on any other guards. I'm assuming he'll end up there

they are after a 4 star combo that is rated almost the same as JJ and they’ve offered a 5 star PG in the 2023 class. They also got 2 guards coming in this fall. A 4 star PG and a 5 star 2G. They’ve also gotten Whitehead in the 2022 class who is a 2/3. I’d say there’s competition there.

they are after a 4 star combo that is rated almost the same as JJ and they’ve offered a 5 star PG in the 2023 class. They also got 2 guards coming in this fall. A 4 star PG and a 5 star 2G. They’ve also gotten Whitehead in the 2022 class who is a 2/3. I’d say there’s competition there.
That is also a lot of competition for NIL money. The hometown boy would be at the front of the line in Syracuse for such endorsement deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom