Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you didn't read where I said exactly the opposite. I am not referring to JJ. Someone said that JJ saw us out of respect for us. I said that wasn't true. Although I would be somewhat surprised if he does go to Syracuse. Duke is just so hard to beat for a guy they really want to get. I simply pointed out that it is anything but respectful to waste someone else's time when you are 100% not going there or not going to buy their product. That isn't the case with JJ. Since you have never had your time wasted by such a person in the business that you are in, you couldn't possible understand that. If a kid or a person, wastes a persons time, that is time they could have spent doing anything else. Ranging from spending time with their family to prospecting with a potential buyer. It isn't that complicated.
As far as insider information, I have given this board more than my share. I am reluctant to do that publicly now for exactly the reason that I am now conversing with you.
No point in going through this with you. You're determined to cling to a condescending and ridiculous argument, where widget sales is the same thing as recruiting. Whatever. Not sure why you have such a penchant and affinity for making personal snipes when all we're doing is 'debating' semantics, 'child psychology,' and opinions. Not sure, either, why you need to keep telling me what i know about business or sales, but that's your level of intellect, i guess. I couldn't possibly understand it—okay, grand exalted one.

This is a JJ thread, so i'm talking about JJ, and my initial post in this line was not directly addressing you.

Your reluctance has nothing to do with anything i've ever said about anyone's 'insider information.' I have no idea who you are or what you may or may not know as fact. I don't particularly care, because 'recruiting inside info' is kinda like the old jokes about weather forecasts. Point is, i don't question actual information. I'm discussing concepts, and maybe you "couldn't possibly understand that." The concept that "100%" is not all you think it is.

You should prolly put me on Ignore, because it's pretty consistent that whenever you interact with me, it's obnoxious.

why so surprised? Plenty of HS kids work at the dome. My kid sold programs at b-ball games for two years. I don’t know which concession stand is at 312 but maybe the Bville Booster Club had a stand. Most of them are outside organizations and they are responsible to staff them.
I'm not that surprised. I just think it's a 'cute' storyline, that's all. And i'm glad he's got a sense of what it's like to have 30,000 rocking in the Dome, rather than just three quarters of a Rutgers football loss.

No point in going through this with you. You're determined to cling to a condescending and ridiculous argument, where widget sales is the same thing as recruiting. Whatever. Not sure why you have such a penchant and affinity for making personal snipes when all we're doing is 'debating' semantics, 'child psychology,' and opinions. Not sure, either, why you need to keep telling me what i know about business or sales, but that's your level of intellect, i guess. I couldn't possibly understand it—okay, grand exalted one.

This is a JJ thread, so i'm talking about JJ, and my initial post in this line was not directly addressing you.

Your reluctance has nothing to do with anything i've ever said about anyone's 'insider information.' I have no idea who you are or what you may or may not know as fact. I don't particularly care, because 'recruiting inside info' is kinda like the old jokes about weather forecasts. Point is, i don't question actual information. I'm discussing concepts, and maybe you "couldn't possibly understand that." The concept that "100%" is not all you think it is.

You should prolly put me on Ignore, because it's pretty consistent that whenever you interact with me, it's obnoxious.
Yeah, it's all me. Put me on ignore.

Last edited:
?? The coaches believe we are still in this. Quite frankly, they think it would be disrespectful to show up if you are still not interested. Had a current coach tell me this. They have better things to do than entertain any kid that knows he isn't coming here.
I have heard this many times before with this staff.

I have heard this many times before with this staff.
I know you need to cut the emotional cord at some point but the way the transfer portal is nowadays it's realistically a game changer. Does recruiting a player ever end? They could graduate and still might have some eligibility left.

I know you need to cut the emotional cord at some point but the way the transfer portal is nowadays it's realistically a game changer. Does recruiting a player ever end? They could graduate and still might have some eligibility left.

Agree with this. I think it's far from a guarantee that if Starling were to go to Duke that he gets a lot of time his freshman year. You never know what could happen down the line. That's what happened with Swider.

Agree with this. I think it's far from a guarantee that if Starling were to go to Duke that he gets a lot of time his freshman year. You never know what could happen down the line. That's what happened with Swider.

Yep. At UK for example Green ended up second fiddle to SGA real quickly. O'Connell stuck around which I presume was in part to being a legacy but outside big games vs us he was mostly an afterthought for Duke despite being a fairly high ranked recruit.

Also the portal gives us so many back up options, who will most likely be ready to contribute day 1 better than most freshman. We have had much more success recently with transfers than freshman, IMO

Well, that's sorta the point. Is someone ever "100% sure," and even if so, for how long. As i noted in my post, i've been "100% sure of things" one minute as a 'consumer,' and then changed my mind or come across new 'intel' that was compelling enough to change my mind. I don't believe in absolutes like this. "100% sure" in the mind of an 18 year old being recruited/courted by multiple high-profile institutions/coaches, and friends, and being influenced by family, etc is not actually 100%.

I work in advertising/marketing, and my degree is in psychology, but no, i've never sold aluminum siding, if that would have validated my concern or opinion. This isn't like going to a Porsche dealership for a test drive when you only have Kia money.

Either way, i wonder if the staff feels the same way as you do, that entertaining a kid who may have already made up his mind is a complete waste of time and an 'insult.' Personally, i might welcome the opportunity to change a mind. And seeing as how we've been the beneficiary of players changing their minds even after commitments, or in transfers subsequently, i'd probably embrace an opportunity at any stage to strengthen relationships.

Not to stir this argument back up but I tend to agree. With a decision this personal, things are fluid. This might be a stupid example, but I recently bought a golf cart and wanted it repainted. For the last few weeks I was 100% sure I wanted it painted white. There was zero doubt in my mind. Then just this past weekend, my wife pointed out that the seats we have sort of turn a bit yellow the more they're in the sun so it might not look good with a white cart. Yesterday, I called the shop and told them to paint it black this weekend. The point is, as you have stated, things can change even when someone has made a decision.

As for Dash's point... I understand where he's coming from. I used to be in sales and I once had a customer (who I later found out) faked interest so that they could get flown to Vegas (free) for a product demonstration. That really pissed me off because it was a huge waste of time for me and many on my team. I could have used that time on more viable opportunities. I also lost a few hundred on the black jack tables during that trip.

The difference with these two situations though is one is very personal and the other is not. Also, sales is a numbers game. If there are lots of good prospects out there, I don't want to spend a lot of my time trying to change someone's mind if it appears to be made up. Instead, I'd rather refocus and find another opportunity. However, if the prospect pool is limited, I would probably need to invest the time to try to convince them.

And during/after his freshman year odds are high he will be recruited over in favor of the new next best thing.

Not to stir this argument back up but I tend to agree. With a decision this personal, things are fluid. This might be a stupid example, but I recently bought a golf cart and wanted it repainted. For the last few weeks I was 100% sure I wanted it painted white. There was zero doubt in my mind. Then just this past weekend, my wife pointed out that the seats we have sort of turn a bit yellow the more they're in the sun so it might not look good with a white cart. Yesterday, I called the shop and told them to paint it black this weekend. The point is, as you have stated, things can change even when someone has made a decision.

As for Dash's point... I understand where he's coming from. I used to be in sales and I once had a customer (who I later found out) faked interest so that they could get flown to Vegas (free) for a product demonstration. That really pissed me off because it was a huge waste of time for me and many on my team. I could have used that time on more viable opportunities. I also lost a few hundred on the black jack tables during that trip.

The difference with these two situations though is one is very personal and the other is not. Also, sales is a numbers game. If there are lots of good prospects out there, I don't want to spend a lot of my time trying to change someone's mind if it appears to be made up. Instead, I'd rather refocus and find another opportunity. However, if the prospect pool is limited, I would probably need to invest the time to try to convince them.

I bought a golf cart and I want it painted black... ;)

I bought a golf cart and I want it painted black... ;)

Maybe I can try to convince you to go Orange. Sure you don't want this one?

cart.PNG

He chooses to live in Syracuse and drive American cars. He's just a regular down to earth guy. No problem with that.

JJ probably sees himself as a one and done, no?

A lot of guys do. If JJ is one of the top 20 freshmen performance wise he has a good shot to get drafted. 14 freshmen were drafted in the first round last year.

Last edited:
Foster might reclassify to 2022.

Even if he doesn't, JJ is a 4-star, right? Not 5? How likely is one and done?

that’s another kid that might reclassify, not foster.

Status
Not open for further replies.