Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be a complimentary scorer if not primarily just a shooter at first when you look at their roster possibilities. Definitely not a guy who gets a ton of work on the ball with so many other 5 stars on that team with that skillset

I just went back and looked at some of their recent rosters and I totally forgot Trevon Duval played there. I remembered this board loving him. Now he plays in some Canadian Elite Basketball league.

Ask Jordan Tucker (WHO? exactly!) all about the brotherhood,
and how much fun it is watching your 5* teammates play, from the bench.
Well, I mean, Tucker didn't really start much for an under .500 Butler team his first year there and was on a better Butler team his second year but still didn't start much and averaged about 9ppg each year.

So For a top 50 kid recruited to Duke, sounds like he was a bust and a role player at best anyway. Probably would have been the same here. Declared for the draft after his third year and went undrafted and I don't know what he's up to now.

Lively another Westtown player...I've seen him play online at the schools website. 5 star says it all...

I just went back and looked at some of their recent rosters and I totally forgot Trevon Duval played there. I remembered this board loving him. Now he plays in some Canadian Elite Basketball league.
Coach K not only recruited over him but also gave him poor advice to go pro when he clearly wasn't ready so he could free up the spot. Brotherhood my arse.

JJ will always be that lowly 4 star at Duke. Let's hear it for being the 4th option. Who has already been recruited over with a 5 star in the next class. But hey, that Duke sweatshirt is really nice.
Cmon now...u just know that as soon as he commits to Duke he will be bumped to a 5 star...he commits to cuse and he drops at least 10 spots.

Unlike PayPal Cal I believe K is actually a good coach. That program is going to see a drop off in production when K retires, even with the #1 recruiting class. In-game mgmt will be the biggest dropoff imo. In 3 years or less they will move on from Scheyer to an experienced HC.

"I couldn’t see how he could fit in better at a place other than Duke"

What does that even mean? How so? That's the kind of comment that has absolutely zero merit to it. I mean, even if that's where he wants to go (fine), but a great fit? What, next to guys that may force you to sit on the bench or get less playing time? Yeah, you will fit right into that. I'm not saying that JJ isn't worthy of a starting position, but we've seen this play out before at Duke. I mean, come on man.

The word in Durham is that they expect to get him. Heard that from multiple people in town
He may go to duke. but I guarantee you no one right now knows where he is going. And certainly no one on the streets of Durham. Think about it. No one in his home town knows where he is going but the good folks of Durham do? Once again, they get the kids they offer and that may play out here. That is what the good folks of Durham see.

He may go to duke. but I guarantee you no one right now knows where he is going. And certainly no one on the streets of Durham. Think about it. No one in his home town knows where he is going but the good folks of Durham do? Once again, they get the kids they offer and that may play out here. That is what the good folks of Durham see.

Yeah the folks in Durham aren't accustomed to hearing "no". Duke fans are spoiled- they always expect to get everything they want.

"I couldn’t see how he could fit in better at a place other than Duke"

What does that even mean? How so? That's the kind of comment that has absolutely zero merit to it. I mean, even if that's where he wants to go (fine), but a great fit? What, next to guys that may force you to sit on the bench or get less playing time? Yeah, you will fit right into that. I'm not saying that JJ isn't worthy of a starting position, but we've seen this play out before at Duke. I mean, come on man.
That is Flip the car salesman. No offense Cuserunner...not that you can read this anymore. I am sure you will find it when you create your next account.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. You also can't really blame the Durham folks... they sort of get what they want for the most part and believe it's their right because their program (in their mind) is superior and the best in the country - it's GOD like. It's an elitist mentality.

I know too much about how Durham people think with my in-laws all being Duke grads. Good people, but not when it comes to college basketball. We don't talk much when it comes to that. That's where I've drawn the line.

That is Flip the car salesman. No offense Cuserunner...not that you can read this anymore. I am sure you will find it when you create your next account.

Don’t want to go off topic but just curious: did CR finally get banned? I blocked him a while ago, which has been refreshing to say the least. Anyways, here’s hoping we get Carey, Bunch, and JJ to round out our class.

Don’t want to go off topic but just curious: did CR finally get banned? I blocked him a while ago, which has been refreshing to say the least. Anyways, here’s hoping we get Carey, Bunch, and JJ to round out our class.
That's funny, I was wondering the same thing. Unlike some on this board, I really was never amused by his antics, trolling, or whatever he was doing. He was like that little annoying kid next door that you could never get away from. That said, I'd love to hear why he got banned if anyone cares to message me. I've got a lot of free time on my hands right now.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking as well. You also can't really blame the Durham folks... they sort of get what they want for the most part and believe it's their right because their program (in their mind) is superior and the best in the country - it's GOD like. It's an elitist mentality.

I know too much about how Durham people think with my in-laws all being Duke grads. Good people, but not when it comes to college basketball. We don't talk much when it comes to that. That's where I've drawn the line.
I was going to post this last week, but decided it didn't really belong in this thread... but it pretty much echoes your sense of things:

Well, i'll admit it—i have more envy than hate. I've always said that Duke (the entire university, not just the hoops team) has a culture of 'superiority.' I don't know if my experiences with Duke alums is different from everyone else's, but they just straight up tell you "Duke is a great school." Pretty much in those same words, almost as if Stepford-programmed. It's obnoxious, but interesting in its bizarreness. You meet people from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Oxford, etc., and they're almost hesitant/embarrassed to tell you where they went to school. As if modesty was bred into them. But, Dukies? Nope.

With Coach K—he established a thing, a culture, and aura. And that's a self-perpetuating positive feedback machine. I'm both surprised and not surprised that it's continuing under Scheyer. It's institutionalized. The kids fall for it because it's a solid pitch and because—even though it's simplistic and a bit insipid—it's still on a higher level than other schools operate on. It takes the right kid to buy into it, but when they do, they're in. I remember years ago seeing a profile on one of K's players, and he was telling the interviewer about some occasion when he didn't perform well, and K calmly and sternly said to him something like, "I'm embarrassed for you" or "i've never been less proud of you" or something to that effect, and the kid took it as some deep, parental thing and he construed it as some magnificent, genius, caring, teaching moment... K is very skilled at manipulating the mindsets and curating an atmosphere where he is perceived as operating on a different plane. I mean, it takes something to convince people that a cruddy little gym is the end-all-be-all of sports environments, but it's kinda like NLP—you tell people something, and they manifest it.

I don't think we do any of that. I have no (none, zero) actual intel on what our coaches do or say in private—but just based on our branding and image and pressers and coach comments about players entering drafts too early and presence on draft nights and tv appearances, etc.—the same stuff the potential recruits see... we operate in such a basic manner. The positive aspect to that is that it's unpretentious, and possibly more honest. But the negative aspect is that that probably isn't the most effective course in the real world.

I was going to post this last week, but decided it didn't really belong in this thread... but it pretty much echoes your sense of things:

Well, i'll admit it—i have more envy than hate. I've always said that Duke (the entire university, not just the hoops team) has a culture of 'superiority.' I don't know if my experiences with Duke alums is different from everyone else's, but they just straight up tell you "Duke is a great school." Pretty much in those same words, almost as if Stepford-programmed. It's obnoxious, but interesting in its bizarreness. You meet people from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Oxford, etc., and they're almost hesitant/embarrassed to tell you where they went to school. As if modesty was bred into them. But, Dukies? Nope.

With Coach K—he established a thing, a culture, and aura. And that's a self-perpetuating positive feedback machine. I'm both surprised and not surprised that it's continuing under Scheyer. It's institutionalized. The kids fall for it because it's a solid pitch and because—even though it's simplistic and a bit insipid—it's still on a higher level than other schools operate on. It takes the right kid to buy into it, but when they do, they're in. I remember years ago seeing a profile on one of K's players, and he was telling the interviewer about some occasion when he didn't perform well, and K calmly and sternly said to him something like, "I'm embarrassed for you" or "i've never been less proud of you" or something to that effect, and the kid took it as some deep, parental thing and he construed it as some magnificent, genius, caring, teaching moment... K is very skilled at manipulating the mindsets and curating an atmosphere where he is perceived as operating on a different plane. I mean, it takes something to convince people that a cruddy little gym is the end-all-be-all of sports environments, but it's kinda like NLP—you tell people something, and they manifest it.

I don't think we do any of that. I have no (none, zero) actual intel on what our coaches do or say in private—but just based on our branding and image and pressers and coach comments about players entering drafts too early and presence on draft nights and tv appearances, etc.—the same stuff the potential recruits see... we operate in such a basic manner. The positive aspect to that is that it's unpretentious, and possibly more honest. But the negative aspect is that that probably isn't the most effective course in the real world.
The problem is Coach K isn't going to be there anymore as the firm father figure. When a legend leaves the transfer is usually chaotic.

At some point, Duke's run as a "superior" program will end. All programs go through this, on the basketball and football side of things - it's all cyclical. I remember telling my FSU friend 20 years ago to enjoy it while he has it. He shrugged it off and laughed at me thinking they will always be good. He really believed it. I'm just hopeful that Scheyer struggles. This would be a good time for their image to take a hit. I'm damn tired of them being able to get just about whatever recruit they want. It's nauseating.

At some point, Duke's run as a "superior" program will end. All programs go through this, on the basketball and football side of things - it's all cyclical. I remember telling my FSU friend 20 years ago to enjoy it while he has it. He shrugged it off and laughed at me thinking they will always be good. He really believed it. I'm just hopeful that Scheyer struggles. This would be a good time for their image to take a hit. I'm damn tired of them being able to get just about whatever recruit they want. It's nauseating.
I hope i live long enough to see it.

I can hear K's spiel now. Something along the lines of, "We all know you're a good player—but we need to know that you're Duke material.'

I hope i live long enough to see it.

Scheyer can sell the program as a former player and experienced recruiter under K. He even will have some decent chops I'm sure out of the gate. What will happen as it does with any company as well is things will go sideways, the usual bumps in the road and likely toss the program on it's ass for a couple years and that is where the new guy on the block will struggle and have to learn how to stabilize things. Maybe Scheyer masters it. If he does he is a rare bird. More likely the program goes through a rough patch at minimum.

If Duke drops a bag off we intercept and steal the bag and give it to a recruit making him think it's from us is that a NCAA violation? I know it's a crime :) but other than that is it a NCAA violation?
Now THAT is one of the better ideas I've seen on this board in a long time. Well done, MiamiCuse. Way to think outside of the box. Would you entertain being that intercepting guy?

Really dislike flip now...let's hope JJs visit sucks!

Screenshot_20210925-134141_Instagram.jpg

Really dislike flip now...let's hope JJs visit sucks!

View attachment 206904
This seems like a pretty dumb quote, so did they sell him something different or he just liked the campus. He doesn’t make it clear if the pitch was different or is it just that it’s Duke so the prestige made it feel like home?

Either way, could care less about this kid and hope they continue to miss the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.