Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
This class needs a flat out scorer and it doesn’t have one. Taylor might turn into one, but his long ball has been shaky.

I mean “other than it’s top flight academic reputation” it’s a dumpster fire school
And the campus is beautiful. ND takes their education more seriously than any school I've ever been to.

Outside of Georgetown, Pitt, Uconn I still dislike them the most though.

I don't know about you Tom but I am getting real tired of wishing guys well.

We simply cannot recruit as well as we need to right now. And that will not change anytime soon. We don't need to be Duke / UK. But we should be pulling in 'tier 2' classes on a regular basis. Given how much PT may be available next year, it is very disappointing, and almost shocking that a hoops school with the pedigree of SU cannot really compete on the trail. Right now we recruit essentially like VTech, Iowa State - name any non-descript BB program.

I know, I know - JT is good, Cope is solid. Fine. But this was supposed to be a special recruiting year. It is average so far, at best. Assuming another local kids goes away, it is an 0-fer on big timers.

Again, this will not change with the current regime. Only new blood can fix this problem. We will be relegated to mid-pack finishes until the talent level improves. It is really that simple.

I don’t think it’s bizarre at all. But thank you for your support.

There are something like 70 million Catholics in this country. And FWIW Notre Dame is a pretty secular place minus some of the window dressing.

We simply cannot recruit as well as we need to right now. And that will not change anytime soon. We don't need to be Duke / UK. But we should be pulling in 'tier 2' classes on a regular basis. Given how much PT may be available next year, it is very disappointing, and almost shocking that a hoops school with the pedigree of SU cannot really compete on the trail. Right now we recruit essentially like VTech, Iowa State - name any non-descript BB program.

I know, I know - JT is good, Cope is solid. Fine. But this was supposed to be a special recruiting year. It is average so far, at best. Assuming another local kids goes away, it is an 0-fer on big timers.

Again, this will not change with the current regime. Only new blood can fix this problem. We will be relegated to mid-pack finishes until the talent level improves. It is really that simple.

It's mainly the HC. I wouldn't lump the assistants in with him. That being said I would punt on Brown and find our game changers in the transfer portal. Brown and Bunch aren't helping us next year.

37 of the top 150 guys have yet to commit, and we're currently involved with 1 of them in Bunch. Copeland and Taylor played in events all summer long, and unless something crazy happens, they're both ranked pretty fairly right now. I know that could change, but it's just as likely for some guys to come out of nowhere and make their way into the top 150, as it is for Copeland and Taylor to shoot up the rankings. I like the class, it's a "nice" class, but barring something crazy, we'll be very lucky if we finish in the top 25, even with a large class. And, it's far from the "WOW" class we were all geared up for in 2022. Another player we whiffed on that I forgot was Roddy Gayle. We went after a lot of big fish, but in the end we got a class that will more than likely result in a bubble team with the hopes of a sweet 16. I hope I'm wrong, but i doubt it.

No offense but you are making up your own math here. Just because you don't think the class is what we hoped it to be doesn't mean that when final numbers come in for Copeland and Carey that still land outside a top 25 class because you don't like it. 4 top 100 guys, irrespective of whether they sit 50-100 vs anyone top 30 is going to be a top 15-20 class no matter those 37 others. Look at the numbers and how they compute my Cincy example. You are conflating your opinion of the class with the actual numbers. We are 29th because Carey hasn't been rated yet. If he was and was top 100 we would be top 15 now by the numbers.

Now if you add a top 30 or 40 transfer now you are in business with a legit top 10 incoming class. Does that immediately equate to a top 25 team? No. You have to pull another good class in '23. Including getting a kid like JJ or Benny who is immediate high impact. You string strong classes together. One class rarely makes a team unless it's like a UK or Duke class.

So again- drop the opinions out of your math. It's likely a top 15 or better class after we portal. We really would be best with Benny returning for continuity and then bringing in at least one top dog for 23.

As for the bubble team aspect- one of the key problems has been not getting what was expected from recruits and missing the type of players at key positions for our style of basketball. The center position well positioned for the first time in a while. We are bringing in a legit PG who has the size we want. We have a prototypical hybrid forward who is the highest ranked player recruiting wise on the team. We have added more shooting to the mix as a strategy but brought in a kid who does more than just shoot it. We have targeted another shooter and another multi year PF who fits the mold of an SU F. These are things that are familiar to us in what was more successful years.

Last edited:
Of the three schools in the ACC, JJ Starling has the best chance to be the man at ND then at SU, and lastly Duke. While there are 10-12 players this year at Notre Dame, there can be up to 7 less next year based on expected graduation rate. Of course with the expected graduation rate and transition to the pro rate, Duke will probably lose 5-7 players also. ND unfortunately according to VC is not recruiting that many people at this time for 2022. Of course that could change with the portal.

Regarding Stanford and Northwestern, I have not checked their transition rates but I assume that JJ Starling would be the man at these schools also.

Good luck to JJ on whichever school he chooses. Still hoping for the Cuse (but I understand that hope is not a strategy).

Way over the top comments. There have been disappointments but why take it to this level?

Disappointing if the ND news is legit. For a while now, we envisioned 2022 as the dream class. Don't fault JJ for doing what's best for him and his basketball career to make it to the NBA, but it still stings that we couldn't grab a kid from our backyard.

Disappointing if the ND news is legit. For a while now, we envisioned 2022 as the dream class. Don't fault JJ for doing what's best for him and his basketball career to make it to the NBA, but it still stings that we couldn't grab a kid from our backyard.

He never really came across as all that interested in SU.
I’m surprised we did well enough to even make it to “bridesmaid” position with this one.

He’s in Indiana now.
And has been for a while.
Maybe he likes it there?

IF we get Bunch and Brown, we literally have 1 pretty solid guy at each of the 5 positions.

No, it’s not the dream class we envisioned when Dior was theoretically part of it, but those new guys, along with potentially some or all of:
Joe, Symir, Benny, Jesse, Frankie returning, and we’ll be cooking with gas!!

It is a special recruiting year. That is for Kentucky and Duke with 4-6 top 30 recruits each.

what could have been for Syracuse changed with recruits immaturity, their handlers desires, with their interpretation of NIL and perhaps better perceived opportunities.

At one time, we had a strong possibility of a class of Dior Johnson, Zion Cruz, Chance Westry and Justin Taylor with an outside chance at Donovan Clingam.

Then we had a chance of JJ Starling, Kyle FilipowskI, Chance Westry, Kamari Lands, Justin Taylor and Quadir Copeland.

Now we have our best chance at Quadir Copeland, Justin Taylor, Peter Carey, Malik Brown, Chris Bunch and still JJ Starling.

Give them credit, Our coaching staff have been busy recruiting and are resilient in recovering from recruiting losses.

History says it is wise to listen to what dasher says about where recruits might be headed.

I hope JJ does well there. Sounds like he wanted to be 'the man' more than he wanted to win or prepare for pro ball. He will get his wish at ND.
I don't want it to be ND. Just that I was worried about them almost from the start.

oof. was really hoping this class was gonna be the one to turn things around. I don't really count the dior loss. But at one time we were involved with Chance (out of our control), Zion Cruz, Kamari, Flip, JJ and it was exciting. Looks like we'll end up with a class of raw talent, ranked somewhere around 30th. A far cry from the top 10 class we were all hoping for for sure.
This is why you take stockpile talent when you can. Alot of posters on here said dont fill up in 21 because of 22

And the campus is beautiful. ND takes their education more seriously than any school I've ever been to.

Outside of Georgetown, Pitt, Uconn I still dislike them the most though.
But other than that…

Huh? All three of our commits are really good players. Plus we will likely add Bunch and Brown. That’s a real nice class with the portal

But other than that…

You can average 20 plus pts and put up tons of shots while winning 16-18 games. Again it's definitely high profile enough to be the guy and absolutely have the NBA's attention. Just not a place outside every 5 or 6 years that they are going places. Usually when they do it's also on the backs of 4 yr guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom