Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches think he will blow up this summer.
I had a feeling.

While Lands and Westry are my favorite players in the class (that we’re actively involved with), I’d be very very happy with Copeland. Im not sure Westry committing would impact him either, though they’re both 1’s

Visiting June 22-24. Squeezing him in next week between Westry and Starling. I think SU let the guards know the train is pulling out of the station and they need to get their ticket soon.

Sounds to me like the coaches are pushing for a Westry decision. The timing of this announcement, during Westry's visit, seems to indicate that. Assuming they take only one of the three guards they are looking at, if Westry is not willing to commit now, they want to push for QC/JJ. Puts some pressure on Westry, and also let's QC know where they stand. The next few weeks should be interesting.

Copeland, Westry, Flip, Taylor seems VERY reasonable right now

First of all, I'd be thrilled to land Copeland.

But I wonder if Copeland / Westry would cancel each other out due to playing the same position. The staff views Westry as a lead guard, same as Copeland. Don't think they fit next to one another.

I know that Devo is loved but he was not better than Buddy. Never had the offensive games Buddy did for us and Devo's defense was just horrible.
agreed. I am not a fan of Buddy's defense...and he's athletically limited...but he ranks ahead of Devo off of the 2020 acc tourney/sweet 16 run alone, for me.

But I wonder if Copeland / Westry would cancel each other out due to playing the same position. The staff views Westry as a lead guard, same as Copeland. Don't think they fit next to one another.

Yep, agree. As much as most of us would love to have both, I just don't see that being a realistic scenario. These guys will want to know that they are the man at that position. I think it's one of the 3 as the PG, plus in an ideal world Taylor as the two, Lands at the three and then if they can nab one of the big guys... Amazing class. Let's see

Sounds to me like the coaches are pushing for a Westry decision. The timing of this announcement, during Westry's visit, seems to indicate that. Assuming they take only one of the three guards they are looking at, if Westry is not willing to commit now, they want to push for QC/JJ. Puts some pressure on Westry, and also let's QC know where they stand. The next few weeks should be interesting.
hopefully its a "hey man..we have a couple other players who are ready to commit but we want you...so we need to know what you want to do" type of thing...and it ends up with a bunch of commmits :)

I'm liking a lot of the players that rumored at the moment!!

In my opinion both Westry and JJ are ahead of Copeland. There’s just some crazy things Copeland does and crazy shots taken that I don’t like. He can improve on them of course but I think the other two are much better right now. I’d be happy with Copeland but if we’re only going to get 1 I’m hopeful it’s one of the other two.

In my opinion both Westry and JJ are ahead of Copeland. There’s just some crazy things Copeland does and crazy shots taken that I don’t like. He can improve on them of course but I think the other two are much better right now. I’d be happy with Copeland but if we’re only going to get 1 I’m hopeful it’s one of the other two.
I feel the same. I love confidence and swag, but stupid, showoff shots make me hesitate. Whereas, in watching full games of JJ, he has a quiet confidence. I think he’s a killer, but he doesn’t say anything.

Yep, agree. As much as most of us would love to have both, I just don't see that being a realistic scenario. These guys will want to know that they are the man at that position. I think it's one of the 3 as the PG, plus in an ideal world Taylor as the two, Lands at the three and then if they can nab one of the big guys... Amazing class. Let's see

Agree on Westry -- but I wonder if he is a one-and-done type. If he is, would 3 years of Copeland be better? Hard to say.

Also, are Taylor / JJ mutually exclusive [probably, with Lands also in the mix].

But I do think that one of the PGs, JJ, and Taylor could fit.

I know that Devo is loved but he was not better than Buddy. Never had the offensive games Buddy did for us and Devo's defense was just horrible.
Respectfully disagree about the offense. Devo was a good scorer from day 1 and was consistently good throughout his SU career. Buddy had a great stretch last year, but hasn’t put it together for a full year to this point. Neither of them were Rodman-esque on Defense (or fashion, thankfully).

Last edited:

I see what you’re saying and I’d be thrilled with either one. I’d be curious to know the staff pitches to each

The coaches think he will blow up this summer.
He does seem like a player that it's a more a matter of when not if he takes a leap.

Agree on Westry -- but I wonder if he is a one-and-done type. If he is, would 3 years of Copeland be better? Hard to say.

Also, are Taylor / JJ mutually exclusive [probably, with Lands also in the mix].

But I do think that one of the PGs, JJ, and Taylor could fit.

as I said I’m much higher on Westry and JJ than Copeland. BUT, if we knew in advance length of stay, I’d take a 3 year Copeland over a 1 year Westry. I think. Lol.

Watching JJ and his scoring he really feels more like a 2 than a PG. Not many shots of him dishing the ball. Lots of video of him creating shots and quick release 3s. Copeland definitely knows how to collect assists. He is a pass first kinda guy. That could be a better fit depending on who commits.

as I said I’m much higher on Westry and JJ than Copeland. BUT, if we knew in advance length of stay, I’d take a 3 year Copeland over a 1 year Westry. I think. Lol.

i think the 3 year of anybody is going to be exceedingly rare going forward, so we better grab Westry.

Respectfully disagree about the offense. Devo was a good scorer from day 1 and was consistently good throughout his SU career. Buddy had a great stretch last year, but hasn’t put it together for a full year to this point. Neither of them were Rodman-esque on Defense (or fashion, thankfully).
Buddy averaged more a game last year than Devo ever did. Devo came real close in the year he only played against non conference games. No league games.

Buddy averaged more a game last year than Devo ever did. Devo came real close in the year he only played against non conference games. No league games.
Who was scoring on Devo’s team vs Buddy. I think Devo was a more well rounded offensive player: could go left or right and score at the basket. Not Buddy’s strength. Buddy will need about 500 points this year to equal Devo.
That said, Devo could not go on stretches where he could put up 15 points in 3-4 minutes.
Regency bias and love affair with the 3 pointer skews the comparison.

Wut??

So, Buddy is slightly less awful at D than Devo was?
Yay

IF Devo had come back for his Sr year, he very likely would be our all-time leading scorer.

And - right now, Devo is still a better finisher with either hand at the rim, than Buddy will ever be.

Devo career % - 44/38/80.

Buddy career % - 41/37/78.

Clearly Buddy is the better player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics