Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. He has all the tools plus as you point out the swagger we have lacked since Battle and Hughes. He is going to make everyone else better. As to the 3 shooting i think he will be fine. Plus shooting the 3 is the least important skill needed by a pg. I really hope we get to see him and Mintz in the backcourt together.
My 5 by year end.
Cope 1
Mintz 2
Taylor 3
Benny 4
Jesse 5.
Long athletic back to the type of Cuse team that used to run teams off the floor.
No more back to the basket guards and old man Y ball.

Never gonna happen nor should it. And some back to the basket guards can also shoot facing the basket and make 1st team all ACC.

Just my personal opinion, but I just get that weird feeling this kid is going to be one of the greats we talk about for a long time. He oozes confidence, and is extremely supportive of all his teammates beyond the basketball court. He has that philly swagger and that kind of vibe to him where he just eat, sleeps and breathes basketball 24/7.

He comes off as gentle with the ball but with extremely fierce tenacity towards competition. The kind of kid who isn’t scared of anyone, and won’t care if you’re a 5-star or a cinderella story. The kind of kid who is criminally under ranked and feels he has to prove something as a result, making him even better.

People were concerned he wouldn’t want to stay with Mintz coming in but he arguably recruited him the hardest out of the incoming freshman. He knows who he can work with to make something special happen rather than caring about his minutes. Gifted athletically, bouncy, can drive to the hoop and create shots. Decent mid-range. Do I wish he could shoot the 3? Of course. But, being able to build a team of guys that you can help create shots so that they shoot the 3 means it won’t be do or die if he doesn’t develop a reliable shot beyond the perimeter. Plus, with his work ethic it would not surprise me if he added that skill to his arsenal.

I see all this and his clips, along with his stats from bumping up comp at IMG and I get amped. The kind of hard worker every boss/coach/person craves. Sometimes he can come off as lazy but with the motor and IQ I’ve seen Q display with all the tangibles, I think we’ll be just fine. Again just a personal opinion but I would not be surprised if he becomes a fan favorite by the end of the season.

As a side note - I almost see a little Kadary Richmond in him. Not as strong but same sort of game and calmness to the way they play. Sort of effortless, with the silky smooth finishes. The same sort of expectation going into the season- lazy on defense based on the clips, but with the size and wingspan as well as the hard work, comes in and dominates the zone. The next guy where all it takes is the first public practice for people to see him and get excited. Let’s go Quadir!!!
laz sims was terrific for us and he was arguably the worst backcourt outside shooter that we ever had.

i am with u, luv q from the highlights !!!!!

We wont see it too much as Jim will ride Joe.

That would be too bad. Because if the last couple years should have taught us ANYTHING, it's that a guy like Joe should not be playing 38 minutes a game.

He's not an All American. Play him normal minutes like every other coach does, and use your damn bench. It's not even fun anymore if he can't figure out that much.

The difference in quality between guy 1 and guy 8 is not that great on these last few teams. Use them all ! Some might even surprise you!

That would be too bad. Because if the last couple years should have taught us ANYTHING, it's that a guy like Joe should not be playing 38 minutes a game.

He's not an All American. Play him normal minutes like every other coach does, and use your damn bench. It's not even fun anymore if he can't figure out that much.

The difference in quality between guy 1 and guy 8 is not that great on these last few teams. Use them all ! Some might even surprise you!

Joes never played 38mpg and there was a huge difference between guy 1 and 8.

Great post. He has all the tools plus as you point out the swagger we have lacked since Battle and Hughes. He is going to make everyone else better. As to the 3 shooting i think he will be fine. Plus shooting the 3 is the least important skill needed by a pg. I really hope we get to see him and Mintz in the backcourt together.
My 5 by year end.
Cope 1
Mintz 2
Taylor 3
Benny 4
Jesse 5.
Long athletic back to the type of Cuse team that used to run teams off the floor.
No more back to the basket guards and old man Y ball.
Guarantee that won’t be the lineup by the end of the year.
Guarantee.

We are not sitting a 40% 3 point shooter on a team that lacks shooting.

You always make these lineup projections that never happen before every season.

Another reason JB needs to leave, Joe is a great person, but should not be a starter at Syracuse. He would be good coming off the bench for 15 minutes as a shooter.
You don't think Joe proved he is worthy of starting last year? I couldn't disagree more. I would argue that he shouldn't play point and will do even better this year at his natural position. He played very well last year despite being asked to do way too much.

I've gone back and forth and now back again on QC. He's going to be the 4th guard but probably the 2nd best ball handler. This team has options at the 3 in Taylor and Bunch but I can see QC playing if he's ready (meaning he can play D and under control). Will we see any 3 guard? Saw a little this year. QC, Judah and Joe together? QC can match up at the 3 on D. That's an option I can see if either Taylor or Bunch just aren't ready for PT. He's not a string bean. In fact he looks a lot like the athletes I saw playing in the NCAA tournament this year that I knew we didn't have on the SU roster. Would love to see 10-15 minutes from a player like this. When you're 6'6" and can handle you tend to find ways to get on the court.

He's not the 2nd best ball handler. Symir and Mintz are on the team.

You don't think Joe proved he is worthy of starting last year? I couldn't disagree more. I would argue that he shouldn't play point and will do even better this year at his natural position. He played very well last year despite being asked to do way too much.
The defense though….

I think he looks like a no brainer starter for next year at the two.

I would love it if Copeland was actually better than him next year, but I highly doubt it.

Even though he’s a no brainer starter, I hope it’s of the 28-30 mpg variety, and not 38 mpg.

The defense though….

I think he looks like a no brainer starter for next year at the two.

I would love it if Copeland was actually better than him next year, but I highly doubt it.

Even though he’s a no brainer starter, I hope it’s of the 28-30 mpg variety, and not 38 mpg.
His defense was better last year. I wish he would close out on three point shooters better.

Good post. We’ve had a history of playing 2-guards out of position at the point by necessity. And for that matter, playing PFs at C out of necessity. For some reason, it always seems like it happen more often during a player’s senior year. Kids do what they’re asked. I’m glad JG will get a chance to finish his career at his more natural position.

I've gone back and forth and now back again on QC. He's going to be the 4th guard but probably the 2nd best ball handler. This team has options at the 3 in Taylor and Bunch but I can see QC playing if he's ready (meaning he can play D and under control). Will we see any 3 guard? Saw a little this year. QC, Judah and Joe together? QC can match up at the 3 on D. That's an option I can see if either Taylor or Bunch just aren't ready for PT. He's not a string bean. In fact he looks a lot like the athletes I saw playing in the NCAA tournament this year that I knew we didn't have on the SU roster. Would love to see 10-15 minutes from a player like this. When you're 6'6" and can handle you tend to find ways to get on the court.
If Benny gets it together we would have 4 guys that can get to the rack off the bounce and Finish.
SY, Benny, Mintz, Cope. Last season we had 1.

Never gonna happen nor should it. And some back to the basket guards can also shoot facing the basket and make 1st team all ACC.
How do you know? Why shouldn't it?

If Benny gets it together we would have 4 guys that can get to the rack off the bounce and Finish.
SY, Benny, Mintz, Cope. Last season we had 1.
I have been a Benny supporter even through all of his troubles, so I naturally believe he is going to have one hell of a sophomore year. I think he knows what he has to do, and he has the talent and skills to get there. I am not a believer in the IMG post grad team. I don't think they play great competition and I don't think they get prepared any better than a normal high school. Their competitive team is a different story, but the post grad is crap.

Guarantee that won’t be the lineup by the end of the year.
Guarantee.

We are not sitting a 40% 3 point shooter on a team that lacks shooting.

You always make these lineup projections that never happen before every season.
Its a fan board:)

Just my personal opinion, but I just get that weird feeling this kid is going to be one of the greats we talk about for a long time. He oozes confidence, and is extremely supportive of all his teammates beyond the basketball court. He has that philly swagger and that kind of vibe to him where he just eat, sleeps and breathes basketball 24/7.

He comes off as gentle with the ball but with extremely fierce tenacity towards competition. The kind of kid who isn’t scared of anyone, and won’t care if you’re a 5-star or a cinderella story. The kind of kid who is criminally under ranked and feels he has to prove something as a result, making him even better.

People were concerned he wouldn’t want to stay with Mintz coming in but he arguably recruited him the hardest out of the incoming freshman. He knows who he can work with to make something special happen rather than caring about his minutes. Gifted athletically, bouncy, can drive to the hoop and create shots. Decent mid-range. Do I wish he could shoot the 3? Of course. But, being able to build a team of guys that you can help create shots so that they shoot the 3 means it won’t be do or die if he doesn’t develop a reliable shot beyond the perimeter. Plus, with his work ethic it would not surprise me if he added that skill to his arsenal.

I see all this and his clips, along with his stats from bumping up comp at IMG and I get amped. The kind of hard worker every boss/coach/person craves. Sometimes he can come off as lazy but with the motor and IQ I’ve seen Q display with all the tangibles, I think we’ll be just fine. Again just a personal opinion but I would not be surprised if he becomes a fan favorite by the end of the season.

As a side note - I almost see a little Kadary Richmond in him. Not as strong but same sort of game and calmness to the way they play. Sort of effortless, with the silky smooth finishes. The same sort of expectation going into the season- lazy on defense based on the clips, but with the size and wingspan as well as the hard work, comes in and dominates the zone. The next guy where all it takes is the first public practice for people to see him and get excited. Let’s go Quadir!!!
I'm with you. If Q sticks around we'll be good, and he'll be loved by the fans. He's exactly what we've wanted for the last several years. I really hope he doesn't transfer if he doesn't get playing time Freshman year or if there's a coaching change. I could easily see 3 of 6 freshman leaving after next year, including Q and Bunch if they don't get time, but maybe they'll stick together since they're all friends and seemingly bought into building Cuse back up in the long term.

I'm with you. If Q sticks around we'll be good, and he'll be loved by the fans. He's exactly what we've wanted for the last several years. I really hope he doesn't transfer if he doesn't get playing time Freshman year or if there's a coaching change. I could easily see 3 of 6 freshman leaving after next year, including Q and Bunch if they don't get time, but maybe they'll stick together since they're all friends and seemingly bought into building Cuse back up in the long term.

Based on Captain Obvious‘ view, the following breakout would occur.

Right now, Joe, Symir and Judah will split 72-76 minutes per game at guard with Quadir and JT getting spot time for the remaining 4-8 minutes.

Benny, Chris Bunch, Maliq Brown and JT will split the forwards’ minutes with a possibility of Quadir added in if shortage results due to fouls difficulties.

Jesse will get the bulk of center minutes with Peter Carey earning 5-10 minutes in a developmental back up role and perhaps Jon Bol Ajak will get a couple of minutes of garbage time. Serious question was raised if Jesse gets hurt, then we may see Benny Williams play there. We would be at a severe disadvantage if that would to occur.

Chaa Owens is the lone scholarship player and even if he had outstanding talent, he would be hard pressed for minutes.

Looking at our players in comparison to other SU past players and hoping,

JGIII - Buddy Boeheim
Symir Torrance - Scoop Jardine
Judah Mintz - (hard) Dion Waiters
Quadir Copeland - Lazarus Sims
Chaz Owens - Howard Trice
Benny Williams - Hoping for John Wallace but settle for a Marty Byrnes
Justin Taylor - Buddy Boeheim/Trevor Cooney
Chris Branch - James Southerland
Maliq Brown - Rick Jackson / Otis Hill
Jesse Edwards - Ron Seikaly/Danny Schayes
Peter Carey - JB Reafsynder (really unknown to me, again hoping)
Jon Bol Ajak - Jon Bol Ajak (probably not going get any better)

Feel free to offer different comparisons.

Last edited:
Based on Captain Obvious‘ view, the following breakout would occur.

Right now, Joe, Symir and Judah will split 72-76 minutes per game at guard with Quadir and JT getting spot time for the remaining 4-8 minutes.

Benny, Chris Bunch, Maliq Brown and JT will split the forwards’ minutes with a possibility of Quadir added in if shortage results due to fouls difficulties.

Jesse will get the bulk of center minutes with Peter Carey earning 5-10 minutes in a developmental back up role and perhaps Jon Bol Ajak will get a couple of minutes of garbage time. Serious question was raised if Jesse gets hurt, then we may see Benny Williams play there. We would be at a severe disadvantage if that would to occur.

Chris Owens is the lone scholarship player and even if he had outstanding talent, he would be hard pressed for minutes.

Looking at our players in comparison to other SU past players and hoping,

JGIII - Buddy Boeheim
Symir Torrance - Scoop Jardine
Judah Mintz - (hard) Dion Waiters
Quadir Copeland - Lazarus Sims
Chris Owens - Howard Trice
Benny Williams - Hoping for John Wallace but settle for a Marty Byrnes
Justin Taylor - Buddy Boeheim/Trevor Cooney
Chris Branch - James Southerland
Maliq Brown - Rick Jackson / Otis Hill
Jesse Edwards - Ron Seikaly/Danny Schayes
Peter Carey - JB Reafsynder (really unknown to me, again hoping)
Jon Bol Ajak - Jon Bol Ajak (probably not going get any better)

Who is Chris Owens...and is being compared to H Triche?

I remember Z Sims and Anthony Harris being the ones everyone was talking about.
At that time I was tutoring Micheal Brown (CNS/Providence) with SATs. I spoke with his coach about why not SU. Said Boeheim's thought he had an BE back court in Harris and Sims.

JGIII - Buddy Boeheim - MARTY HEADD
Symir Torrance - Scoop Jardine - PRE-SENIOR YEAR LAZ
Judah Mintz - (hard) Dion Waiters - DIFFERENT POSITION BUT ERICH SANTIFER
Quadir Copeland - Lazarus Sims - MCW (AIM HIGH YOUNG MAN)
Chaz Owens - Howard Trice - DONOVAN MCNABB
Benny Williams - Hoping for John Wallace but settle for a Marty Byrnes - WENDELL ALEXIS
Justin Taylor - Buddy Boeheim/Trevor Cooney - JASON CIPOLLA
Chris Branch - James Southerland - WES JOHNSON
Maliq Brown - Rick Jackson / Otis Hill - TROB I
Jesse Edwards - Ron Seikaly/Danny Schayes - ETAN/FAB
Peter Carey - JB Reafsynder (really unknown to me, again hoping) SEAN KERINS
Jon Bol Ajak - Jon Bol Ajak (probably not going get any better) HERM HARRIED

I'll play! (IN CAPS ABOVE)

I think the Symir and Jesse ones were the only ones I really disagreed with at all. You couldn't have picked 2 completely different players than Rony and Danny! Not sure Jesse will ever be the shooter Danny was, it kept in in the NBA for 20 years after all! He's a lot smoother than Rony was, though I will admit Jesse has learned Rony's dunk if within 5 feet mentality.

laz sims was terrific for us and he was arguably the worst backcourt outside shooter that we ever had.

i am with u, luv q from the highlights !!!!!
And yet…his back-to-back threes brought us back from the edge in the “John Wallace Game” vs Georgia. If he doesn’t hit those, we lose.
Sims was a player, and a patient one too. Didn’t get any real run till his senior year, much like Allen Griffin.

Az
I'll play! (IN CAPS ABOVE)

I think the Symir and Jesse ones were the only ones I really disagreed with at all. You couldn't have picked 2 completely different players than Rony and Danny! Not sure Jesse will ever be the shooter Danny was, it kept in in the NBA for 20 years after all! He's a lot smoother than Rony was, though I will admit Jesse has learned Rony's dunk if within 5 feet mentality.
I have no clue how Peter Carey will predict. I used Seikaly and Schayes as hopeful possibilities. I could had used George Papadoklis and Elvir Ovcina as possible examples but I am hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom