Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, unfortunately those two things have plagued him up to this point. We’ll see though. He has a lot of talent and kids this age can have things come together really quickly or not come together at all. Hopefully we get more of the former with our recruits.

Yeah and while I would not want a kid to abandon his identity, especially as unique as Quadir is, I would have much liked to see him build more structure around that flash and also show up on defense at IMG. I mean those post grad games that are in this thread show a lot of very low effort across the board which doesn't help either.

If he commits to defending and isn't a turnover machine, his size does allow him to be a point forward. He is aggressive going to the rim as well. That said not sure what combination that would work unless Mintz can hit a couple 3s per game on average. Otherwise defenses will pack in.

He uses his body to get to the rim really well. I think he is going to work his way into the rotation, because Symir & Joe can't finish as well at the rim. Unless Judah Mintz just explodes, and he does look very good getting to the rim, too, I think Copeland will get some chances.

Whenever I see a large incoming class of freshmen, and the range of predictions and expectations they bring, I always think of Lawrence Moten. No one expected what he was able to do right out of the gate. It was like, “Who is this guy?”

One of my questions from those that have viewed his tapes more than I, does he have a jump shot? I see some penetration but not much in the way of mid range or 3 point shooting. Am I missing something here with Quadir.

One of my questions from those that have viewed his tapes more than I, does he have a jump shot? I see some penetration but not much in the way of mid range or 3 point shooting. Am I missing something here with Quadir.
General20 wrote up a report a while back after watching some games and he said he had a good 3 pointer from straight on.

He has gifts you cant teach. I have liked him from day 1. Would like to see him at the 1, mintz 2

He doesn’t shoot many jumpers in games and seems to shoot okay during warmups. Good free throw shooter though, which is promising.

He has gifts you cant teach. I have liked him from day 1. Would like to see him at the 1, mintz 2

That combination could work.

Wonder how much we'd see that, with Joe being a senior.

He also has to beat out Symir, who's tons more experienced.

Wonder how he will compare to Kadary. Same height, seems to have better handle, speed and explosiveness? Kadary has good vision and bulkier size. Guessing QC will be better on defense and in the press. Outside shot hard to evaluate booth shoot well from line.

Wonder how he will compare to Kadary. Same height, seems to have better handle, speed and explosiveness? Kadary has good vision and bulkier size. Guessing QC will be better on defense and in the press. Outside shot hard to evaluate booth shoot well from line.
He’s faster and more explosive but not as good of a ball handler IMO. And the defense from their time in high school is just not comparable.

We wont see it too much as Jim will ride Joe.
Another reason JB needs to leave, Joe is a great person, but should not be a starter at Syracuse. He would be good coming off the bench for 15 minutes as a shooter.

He will play with other 2 guards

If he can be ready as noted ( defensively and turnovers cleaned up) its really intriguing with him playing with two other guards and putting 3 guys who are comfortable initiating the offense.

Whenever I see a large incoming class of freshmen, and the range of predictions and expectations they bring, I always think of Lawrence Moten. No one expected what he was able to do right out of the gate. It was like, “Who is this guy?”
I remember Z Sims and Anthony Harris being the ones everyone was talking about.

Just my personal opinion, but I just get that weird feeling this kid is going to be one of the greats we talk about for a long time. He oozes confidence, and is extremely supportive of all his teammates beyond the basketball court. He has that philly swagger and that kind of vibe to him where he just eat, sleeps and breathes basketball 24/7.

He comes off as gentle with the ball but with extremely fierce tenacity towards competition. The kind of kid who isn’t scared of anyone, and won’t care if you’re a 5-star or a cinderella story. The kind of kid who is criminally under ranked and feels he has to prove something as a result, making him even better.

People were concerned he wouldn’t want to stay with Mintz coming in but he arguably recruited him the hardest out of the incoming freshman. He knows who he can work with to make something special happen rather than caring about his minutes. Gifted athletically, bouncy, can drive to the hoop and create shots. Decent mid-range. Do I wish he could shoot the 3? Of course. But, being able to build a team of guys that you can help create shots so that they shoot the 3 means it won’t be do or die if he doesn’t develop a reliable shot beyond the perimeter. Plus, with his work ethic it would not surprise me if he added that skill to his arsenal.

I see all this and his clips, along with his stats from bumping up comp at IMG and I get amped. The kind of hard worker every boss/coach/person craves. Sometimes he can come off as lazy but with the motor and IQ I’ve seen Q display with all the tangibles, I think we’ll be just fine. Again just a personal opinion but I would not be surprised if he becomes a fan favorite by the end of the season.

As a side note - I almost see a little Kadary Richmond in him. Not as strong but same sort of game and calmness to the way they play. Sort of effortless, with the silky smooth finishes. The same sort of expectation going into the season- lazy on defense based on the clips, but with the size and wingspan as well as the hard work, comes in and dominates the zone. The next guy where all it takes is the first public practice for people to see him and get excited. Let’s go Quadir!!!

Just my personal opinion, but I just get that weird feeling this kid is going to be one of the greats we talk about for a long time. He oozes confidence, and is extremely supportive of all his teammates beyond the basketball court. He has that philly swagger and that kind of vibe to him where he just eat, sleeps and breathes basketball 24/7.

He comes off as gentle with the ball but with extremely fierce tenacity towards competition. The kind of kid who isn’t scared of anyone, and won’t care if you’re a 5-star or a cinderella story. The kind of kid who is criminally under ranked and feels he has to prove something as a result, making him even better.

People were concerned he wouldn’t want to stay with Mintz coming in but he arguably recruited him the hardest out of the incoming freshman. He knows who he can work with to make something special happen rather than caring about his minutes. Gifted athletically, bouncy, can drive to the hoop and create shots. Decent mid-range. Do I wish he could shoot the 3? Of course. But, being able to build a team of guys that you can help create shots so that they shoot the 3 means it won’t be do or die if he doesn’t develop a reliable shot beyond the perimeter. Plus, with his work ethic it would not surprise me if he added that skill to his arsenal.

I see all this and his clips, along with his stats from bumping up comp at IMG and I get amped. The kind of hard worker every boss/coach/person craves. Sometimes he can come off as lazy but with the motor and IQ I’ve seen Q display with all the tangibles, I think we’ll be just fine. Again just a personal opinion but I would not be surprised if he becomes a fan favorite by the end of the season.

As a side note - I almost see a little Kadary Richmond in him. Not as strong but same sort of game and calmness to the way they play. Sort of effortless, with the silky smooth finishes. The same sort of expectation going into the season- lazy on defense based on the clips, but with the size and wingspan as well as the hard work, comes in and dominates the zone. The next guy where all it takes is the first public practice for people to see him and get excited. Let’s go Quadir!!!
Great post. He has all the tools plus as you point out the swagger we have lacked since Battle and Hughes. He is going to make everyone else better. As to the 3 shooting i think he will be fine. Plus shooting the 3 is the least important skill needed by a pg. I really hope we get to see him and Mintz in the backcourt together.
My 5 by year end.
Cope 1
Mintz 2
Taylor 3
Benny 4
Jesse 5.
Long athletic back to the type of Cuse team that used to run teams off the floor.
No more back to the basket guards and old man Y ball.

Great post. He has all the tools plus as you point out the swagger we have lacked since Battle and Hughes. He is going to make everyone else better. As to the 3 shooting i think he will be fine. Plus shooting the 3 is the least important skill needed by a pg. I really hope we get to see him and Mintz in the backcourt together.
My 5 by year end.
Cope 1
Mintz 2
Taylor 3
Benny 4
Jesse 5.
Long athletic back to the type of Cuse team that used to run teams off the floor.
No more back to the basket guards and old man Y ball.

I like Quadir. Lots of potential there. A bit over the top on the hype/potential though especially right out of the gate. He has a couple big developmental/tendency hurdles to get over first. Hopefully he makes big strides once the coaches can start working with him.

I like Quadir. Lots of potential there. A bit over the top on the hype/potential though especially right out of the gate. He has a couple big developmental/tendency hurdles to get over first. Hopefully he makes big strides once the coaches can start working with him.
Very true . My point is he has natural God given gifts that cant be taught. Hes raw but if Gmac can coach him up and Jim doesn’t screw with his confidence the kids got a chance to become a special player.
6'7 PGs with his ball skills dont come along often.

Very true . My point is he has natural God given gifts that cant be taught. Hes raw but if Gmac can coach him up and Jim doesn’t screw with his confidence the kids got a chance to become a special player.
6'7 PGs with his ball skills dont come along often.

Yeah- this summer is incredibly important for the staff to get working with these youngsters. Wishing we had another Italy/Europe trip allowed or even just to Canada again for this young group.

I've gone back and forth and now back again on QC. He's going to be the 4th guard but probably the 2nd best ball handler. This team has options at the 3 in Taylor and Bunch but I can see QC playing if he's ready (meaning he can play D and under control). Will we see any 3 guard? Saw a little this year. QC, Judah and Joe together? QC can match up at the 3 on D. That's an option I can see if either Taylor or Bunch just aren't ready for PT. He's not a string bean. In fact he looks a lot like the athletes I saw playing in the NCAA tournament this year that I knew we didn't have on the SU roster. Would love to see 10-15 minutes from a player like this. When you're 6'6" and can handle you tend to find ways to get on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom