Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

Considering this kid is in CT I think JB should take the lead and bring Hop with him for the in-house if they get one.
If this kid has a strong family then JB as the HOF big dog and Hop can be the likable 2nd guy. Have JB stress this is his last year and this kid would be the lead PG for a team that will go down in history of his HOF career as his last team.
Appeal to playing close enough to home and in the best conference in America.

Nah, just get him hookers. It works for Louisville.

We want Duval to Duke and Graham to stay at Kansas.
Then we got a good chance. If those schools lose other options we better have our A game.

Seems like this will be the only shot to get him.

So do I understand that neither Boeheim or Hopkins are out busting ass on the recruiting trail? This isn't even a trail. It's a one block street. What is going on? I kinda get JB phasing out (OK more than phasing out) but Hop does not get the job if he wasn't considered a top recruiter. Please let this just be a misunderstanding. OK no - I'm pissed off our top two coaches are spending their time with Team USA when the NCAA is only letting two recruiters on the road. It wasn't like Team USA was a once in a lifetime opportunity - they've done it before. Alright I'm wound up.

Francis, can you shed some more light on things for us? You are clearly plugged in to the highest degree and I completely trust your takes on everything. You know I'm your #1 fan. But I also want to be devils advocate here to a small degree because I don't understand.

The primary conclusion people are drawing from you've said in the thread here is that Hopkins has less knowledge of the situation than you do and has less desire to succeed than us Joe Blow fans do. Either that or something completely different is happening that nobody is talking about or nobody knows about. I hope that what I said is no way insulting to you because it is 100% not intended to be that. I'm crossing my fingers that you don't think I'm calling you out as you are my #1 ranked poster here at the Fan!!

Let me explain my reasoning. These are things that I take as absolute fact - correct me if any of this is incorrect:
1. Hopkins has at least as much knowledge and awareness of the recruiting situation with respect to Waters and his family as any fan or recruiting analyst would have. That would include knowing how difficult it will be for us to land him, who our competition is, and the relative sense of sending GMac (or any other assistant) to be the guy.
2. Hopkins has a higher motivation to succeed as Head Coach at Syracuse than any of us fans have to see the team win. This isn't just a fan situation for him. It is the culmination of his life's work, the continuation of his mentor's legacy, and the promise of being able to put food on the table going forward.
3. Hopkins has never given indications of being lazy.

So given all that, there must be something we don't know, right? I suppose a possibility is that Hopkins sees the need to build recruiting experience within his staff, but this particluar recruit at this particular time certainly appears to be a poor chance to do that. There will be plenty of other lower level lower importance recruits to cut your teeth on if you are GMac. But again - Hopkins certainly knows that.

Another, darker, possibility is that there is substantial strife and chaos within the program between JB and Hop over if/when/how Hop will take over. That seems far fetched, but in order to explain this, I'm struggling to come up with causes for the seemingly bizarre behavior.

Francis, can you shed some more light on things for us? You are clearly plugged in to the highest degree and I completely trust your takes on everything. You know I'm your #1 fan. But I also want to be devils advocate here to a small degree because I don't understand.

The primary conclusion people are drawing from you've said in the thread here is that Hopkins has less knowledge of the situation than you do and has less desire to succeed than us Joe Blow fans do. Either that or something completely different is happening that nobody is talking about or nobody knows about. I hope that what I said is no way insulting to you because it is 100% not intended to be that. I'm crossing my fingers that you don't think I'm calling you out as you are my #1 ranked poster here at the Fan!!

Let me explain my reasoning. These are things that I take as absolute fact - correct me if any of this is incorrect:
1. Hopkins has at least as much knowledge and awareness of the recruiting situation with respect to Waters and his family as any fan or recruiting analyst would have. That would include knowing how difficult it will be for us to land him, who our competition is, and the relative sense of sending GMac (or any other assistant) to be the guy.
2. Hopkins has a higher motivation to succeed as Head Coach at Syracuse than any of us fans have to see the team win. This isn't just a fan situation for him. It is the culmination of his life's work, the continuation of his mentor's legacy, and the promise of being able to put food on the table going forward.

So given all that, there must be something we don't know, right? I suppose a possibility is that Hopkins sees the need to build recruiting experience within his staff, but this particluar recruit at this particular time certainly appears to be a poor chance to do that. There will be plenty of other lower level lower importance recruits to cut your teeth on if you are GMac. But again - Hopkins certainly knows that.

Another, darker, possibility is that there is substantial strife and chaos within the program between JB and Hop over if/when/how Hop will take over. That seems far fetched, but in order to explain this, I'm struggling to come up with causes for the seemingly bizarre behavior.
Very well put, Houston.

looking at Kansas - even if Graham stays he's more of a 2 - and they have Marcus Garrett coming in for '17 but he's considered a combo... they can easily sell Tremont on handing him the keys from day 1

and we're, uh, gonna put Gerry up against that and Bill Self?

Well you have much more confidence in his recruiting abilities than me. Ron "Buss" Patterson is the only guard commit that he has on his resume to sell. Tremont's dad is on some Lavar Ball type . Sending an assistant with less personality than my pinky toe is not the way to go. Hop needs to be the #1 guy on this. At this point we might as well just let Tremont's boy Moyer be the lead recruiter here.
I would like to congratulate Francis on winning the Most Depressing Post of the Year Award. Utterly demoralizing and perplexing.

The only thing that might make sense is that JB doesn't have the heart to replace or demote Gmac. He's gonna leave it to Hop to make that decision in 2018. I really hope that's not true, but why else would Hop not take the lead? Houston's theory also sounds plausible.

Francis - can you try to solve this mystery?

Last edited:
Very well put, Houston.

Thank you. I am seriously terrified that the post could be misread as an attack on Dean and holy cow that would suck big time.

Thank you. I am seriously terrified that the post could be misread as an attack on Dean and holy cow that would suck big time.
Nope, I don't think one could realistically read it that way whatsoever. Your questions/points are ones I've been meaning to raise but haven't been able to articulate - you've done so quite well here.

Since when am I not the #1 poster on your board?

No way am I Francis, but my theory is that Hopkins knows that he is taking over and is beginning to try and implement his own system and style of recruiting. For years JB had a guy in Hopkins who he could let loose to reel in the big dogs. I think Hopkins is really trying to prep GMac to be that guy for him.

If you think about it, JB has never been our main recruiter, it's always been Hopkins, Red, etc. I would like to think that Hopkins will be more involved in recruiting than JB has been for the past decade, but he can't be the only guy on the staff able to get top talent. At some point the assistants have to have some autonomy to handle their business on the road.

I see this as a period of transition where Hop is still figuring out how involved he wants to be and who is go to assistant will be. Eventually Gerry needs to start landing these dudes, but he also needs time to learn the ins and outs. Remember, JB has always been a hands off guy. One thing people can't call JB is a micromanager. Hopkins has been groomed under this style, and we have to hope that he doesn't fall into the trap of being a figure head recruiter.

No way am I Francis, but my theory is that Hopkins knows that he is taking over and is beginning to try and implement his own system and style of recruiting. For years JB had a guy in Hopkins who he could let loose to reel in the big dogs. I think Hopkins is really trying to prep GMac to be that guy for him.

If you think about it, JB has never been our main recruiter, it's always been Hopkins, Red, etc. I would like to think that Hopkins will be more involved in recruiting than JB has been for the past decade, but he can't be the only guy on the staff able to get top talent. At some point the assistants have to have so autonomy to handle their business on the road.

I see this as a period of transition where Hop is still figuring out how involved he wants to be and who is go to assistant will be. Eventually Gerry needs to start landing these dudes, but he also needs time to learn the ins and outs. Remember, JB has always been a hands off guy. One thing people can't cal JB is a micromanager. Hopkins has been groomed under this style, and we have to hope that he doesn't fall into the trap of being a figure head recruiter.
Not a good enough reason. This is a vital recruit. Turn the season recruiting around. We can't be f ing around.

Not a good enough reason. This is a vital recruit. Turn the season recruiting around. We can't be f ing around.
I'm not saying it is, but that's what I feel is happening. I could be completely wrong, but the only alternative I can think of is that our staff is lazy, which I hope is not true.

If you think about it, JB has never been our main recruiter, it's always been Hopkins, Red, etc. I would like to think that Hopkins will be more involved in recruiting than JB has been for the past decade, but he can't be the only guy on the staff able to get top talent. At some point the assistants have to have some autonomy to handle their business on the road.

I see this as a period of transition where Hop is still figuring out how involved he wants to be and who is go to assistant will be. Eventually Gerry needs to start landing these dudes, but he also needs time to learn the ins and outs. Remember, JB has always been a hands off guy. One thing people can't call JB is a micromanager. Hopkins has been groomed under this style, and we have to hope that he doesn't fall into the trap of being a figure head recruiter.

That is certainly a possibility, but in some ways Waters and/or Quinerly are like Hop's Louie and Bouie. JB left to get one of those guys right from the meeting where he got the job and famously ripped Pitino from his honeymoon to get the other. He knew his job basically depended on it just like Hop must know that now. One would think anyway.

That is certainly a possibility, but in some ways Waters and/or Quinerly are like Hop's Louie and Bouie. JB left to get one of those guys right from the meeting where he got the job and famously ripped Pitino from his honeymoon to get the other. He knew his job basically depended on it just like Hop must know that now. One would think anyway.
G-mac isn't and will never be Rick Pitino. This isn't a knock on g-mac. Pitino was already an amazing coach. He helped recruit some kids form NYC to Hawaii. I think Reggie Carter is the big name (how is that for a memory?) We need this kid. No time to fool around.

I agree, and I have a lot more hope that our recruiting turns around because I think Hop is certainly more of a Go-Getter type at this point than JB is. We could have sustained our run much longer, but JB decided he didn't want to go see people anymore.

G-mac isn't and will never be Rick Pitino. This isn't a knock on g-mac. Pitino was already an amazing coach. He helped recruit some kids form NYC to Hawaii. I think Reggie Carter is the big name (how is that for a memory?) We need this kid. No time to fool around.
So what your saying is that we need to bribe Patino to come back as Hops assistant until he gets established? ;)

So what your saying is that we need to bribe Patino to come back as Hops assistant until he gets established? ;)
Actually, I am saying that Hop, who is still an ass't at Syracuse, should do his job and go out and recruit this kid hard. To send a 3rd ass't that has really no recruiting wins, is unspeakable to me.

I know I'm just saying JB knew he had to take the bull by the horns to secure the players that wee going to ensure his continued employment. I'm making the argument Hop needs to get these ones himself and let Gerry get his feet wet on some other non 5 star types.

If there's one thing I'm really hoping for is for Hop to use his connections out west so we can stop being a regional recruiter. Focusing on the Northeast is great, but we can land some of these guys who show interest in other areas if we just put the time in.

I think you are overstating the importance of this one recruit. Just like many overstated reaction to losing out on QG.

Hop getting to know if GMac will be his head recruiter is much more of a long term concern.

Tremont is a new unexpected possibility. I have thought all along the staff has a backup 5th year in mind for the final JB season.

I think you are overstating the importance of this one recruit. Just like many overstated reaction to losing out on QG.

Hop getting to know if GMac will be his head recruiter is much more of a long term concern.

Tremont is a new unexpected possibility. I have thought all along the staff has a backup 5th year in mind for the final JB season.
I couldn't disagree more with this post. First, we have already seen G-mac strike out. This is a second bite of the apple. We have no pt guard for next year. This kid gives us a chance to change out recruiting for this year. We have to put our best up front.

Do we know for a fact that GMac is the lead recruiter here, or is this just speculation, rumor, or someone's gut feeling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom