Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

Yeah, Gillon wasn't tall enough to be an ideal fit, but it was just one year.

Better how? Offensively, I'm sure he's better than Washington. Can't make a determination on Howard, though, not when Waters has yet to play a minute of college ball. And I don't think he's better defensively than either Howard or Washington.

Waters doesn't really fit a need. Whether you like it or not, we have a starting PG in Howard. Washington is a program/depth guy who could be starting as early his junior year. Ayala is different because he can play the Dion Waiters role. If Ayala doesn't reclassify, it makes more sense to bring in a grad transfer for one year than to give multiple years to a guy who doesn't fit our system. And whether you like it or not, the system isn't changing.

1. Great PG in the NBA have been 6'0 or less.

2. It is my opinion that Waters is better than Howard on the offensive side, and perhaps his equal at the defensive side. Neither of us know for sure.

3. When your starting PG was so bad last year that he got benched, and also (rumor has it) cost us in recruiting, you can make an argument that Waters might be a need. Especially given that HW is a freshman that may need time to develop. That being said I will concede that Ayala's ability to play both positions makes him more attractive than Waters.

No one knows for sure Ayala is coming. And, if we don't turn this team around this year, and go to a second consecutive NIT, recruiting will be that much harder next season. It is my opinion that we need more depth, and this season is pivotal to our future success. If you don't agree that is fine.

1. Great PG in the NBA have been 6'0 or less.

2. It is my opinion that Waters is better than Howard on the offensive side, and perhaps his equal at the defensive side. Neither of us know for sure.

3. When your starting PG was so bad last year that he got benched, and also (rumor has it) cost us in recruiting, you can make an argument that Waters might be a need. Especially given that HW is a freshman that may need time to develop. That being said I will concede that Ayala's ability to play both positions makes him more attractive than Waters.

No one knows for sure Ayala is coming. And, if we don't turn this team around this year, and go to a second consecutive NIT, recruiting will be that much harder next season. It is my opinion that we need more depth, and this season is pivotal to our future success. If you don't agree that is fine.
Opinions are fine, but it's a fact we play a 2-3 zone. Does we really need to go through the motions here? You know what JB is looking for and why.

Opinions are fine, but it's a fact we play a 2-3 zone. Does we really need to go through the motions here? You know what JB is looking for and why.

I agree that Ayala is a better option than Waters because of his ability to play both the point and shooting guard positions, AND his height is more ideal for the zone. In theory, I agree with you.

But it's my opinion that we have one liability and one unknown commodity at PG now, and we have no guarantee that Ayala will reclassify, despite conflicting reports. Sometimes, as a program you have to make some concessions. I agree that a grad transfer that will only take up one year is a good plan. But I don't think people realize how pivotal 2017 could be. A second consecutive NIT might be disastrous for our recruiting.

I'm saying that depth and gambles may be necessary to insure the long term success of the program. We already face an uphill battle with negative recruiting against us due to JB's age. Combine that with another subpar year and that spells trouble.

In a normal year, I'd say you are 100% right. Just not this year. It's fine if you don't agree. ✌

Last edited:
Anything new on this kid? Seems like this plan didn't work out too well for him

Anything new on this kid? Seems like this plan didn't work out too well for him

Might wind up at Western Kentucky but very quiet right now.

Pickings have become slim

Pickings have become slim

slim-pickens-blazingsaddles-1.jpg

Disagree.
I hope you re right! I don't get much info on feasible transfers and I'm not feeling great about Ayala although I want to.

Still don't understand our lack of interest here. We need a point guard and perimeter scoring. I don't care that he's not tall for the zone, give me an undersized but active guy up top who can do a lot of things offensively over a tall athlete who isn't skilled any day. He'd probably be around for a few years too and finally provide some stability at the point guard spot that we haven't had since Ennis.

Still don't understand our lack of interest here. We need a point guard and perimeter scoring. I don't care that he's not tall for the zone, give me an undersized but active guy up top who can do a lot of things offensively over a tall athlete who isn't skilled any day. He'd probably be around for a few years too and finally provide some stability at the point guard spot that we haven't had since Ennis.

Seems like tons of big programs are staying away from him. Something else might be up...

As much as I'd like to see Waters leading the Orange O in the Fall... I am on the Jalen Carey bus going forward ('18 on...).

As much as I'd like to see Waters leading the Orange O in the Fall... I am on the Jalen Carey bus going forward ('18 on...).

The bus will have a waiting list.

I like Carey a lot too but I guess my two part thought is that based on recent trends I don't know how reasonably confident I can be that we'll be able to land Carey and also why aren't we able to go after and get both?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom