Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

As much as I'd like to see Waters leading the Orange O in the Fall... I am on the Jalen Carey bus going forward ('18 on...).

Yep. We have Frank, and Washington. No need to add a 3rd PG as much as people dislike Frank. Jalen should be priority number 1, not adding a 3rd PG this year just because everyone thinks Frank sucks, and HW won't be ready.

Not worth the scholarship. Hopefully we get Jalen, then he will be behind Frank or HW for a year. Or start right away, as he's an absolute beast. I want him more than any recruit that I can remember in the past few years.

I think HW can play the 2 myself. Great shooter, and good height. A year under his belt we could see Frank, and hopefully Jalen with HW in the backcourt. So many options for 2018, and unfortunately we have scholarship sanctions.

5th year guy is fine for some help. We added HW. Doubt we take another freshman at the point, unless it's a combo guard like Ayala, who is really a 2.

Yep. We have Frank, and Washington. No need to add a 3rd PG as much as people dislike Frank. Jalen should be priority number 1, not adding a 3rd PG this year just because everyone thinks Frank sucks, and HW won't be ready.

Not worth the scholarship. Hopefully we get Jalen, then he will be behind Frank or HW for a year. Or start right away, as he's an absolute beast. I want him more than any recruit that I can remember in the past few years.

I think HW can play the 2 myself. Great shooter, and good height. A year under his belt we could see Frank, and hopefully Jalen with HW in the backcourt. So many options for 2018, and unfortunately we have scholarship sanctions.

5th year guy is fine for some help. We added HW. Doubt we take another freshman at the point, unless it's a combo guard like Ayala, who is really a 2.

I think you have to build the best team you can. You can't just assume we can pass on Waters because we'll get Carey next year when we've been struggling to close on guys. And I don't know if it matters that HW is on the roster next year if he isn't ready to play ACC minutes.

I think you have to build the best team you can. You can't just assume we can pass on Waters because we'll get Carey next year when we've been struggling to close on guys. And I don't know if it matters that HW is on the roster next year if he isn't ready to play ACC minutes.

I'm not assuming we get Carey. I am assuming HW isn't some bum, and will be ready for minutes. I don't see why Waters is so much better than HW. Just my opinion, but seems like a board overreaction. Any PG is welcome, when we have two. He isn't getting attention for a reason.

If we unfortunately don't get Carey, then we will probably add another PG. Senior Frank, and Sophomore HW isn't terrible though. I obviously want Jalen more than anyone in the 2018 class, as my previous posts say.

I think Carey should be a big priority for 2018 too but I just don't see the reason why if we added Waters in 2017 that we wouldn't be able to also add Carey in 2018. We used to be able to recruit a collection of strong depth at the guard position.

I have it on very good authority the main reason we aren't pursuing Waters is that JB thinks he's too small. Waters is a much better basketball player than HW. I don't think rankings are the be all end all but Waters is a consensus top 50 guy and as high as top 35 by some with a composite of 40 and Jordan brand AA. HW is a 3 star with a composite of 283. They're a different caliber of player and would have very different impacts on our program's success.

I'm gonna agree to disagree as I'm tired of repeating myself.

Jalen should be priority number 1, not adding a 3rd PG this year just because everyone thinks Frank sucks, and HW won't be ready.
Maybe sucks is an overstatement, but if you think we're above .500 with Frank and HW you're in la la land. This team needs a quality ACC caliber PG in the worst way.

Maybe sucks is an overstatement, but if you think we're above .500 with Frank and HW you're in la la land. This team needs a quality ACC caliber PG in the worst way.

Howard proved that he was not an ACC caliber PG last season. The odds of Washington being one right out of the gate aren't too high. Sure we could hit lightning in a bottle with Washington (whom I really like long term BTW) or Frank could be a totally different player this year but you can't count on those things. I agree we need to bring in another option that we can count on to log 30min a game running the show.

Damn sanctions. We used to burn scholarships on guys like Sean Williams and Chino and now we don't really have a spare one to give to a consensus top 50 kid at our most needed position without it clogging up our future scholly situation.

Damn sanctions. We used to burn scholarships on guys like Sean Williams and Chino and now we don't really have a spare one to give to a consensus top 50 kid at our most needed position without it clogging up our future scholly situation.
Top 50 Consensus (from recruiting sites).

He's not sought after by any P5+2 programs right now, and even WKU isn't recruiting. So something's going on, and I'd prefer we don't find out about it while we're waiting for him to arrive or while he's on campus.

How would adding Thorpe hurt our recruiting for next year? I agree on waters. No need to go there. There are enough red flags. But Thorpe. I'm all in.

Top 50 Consensus (from recruiting sites).

He's not sought after by any P5+2 programs right now, and even WKU isn't recruiting. So something's going on, and I'd prefer we don't find out about it while we're waiting for him to arrive or while he's on campus.

He was definitely pulling in big time offers prior to his original commitment and I don't think his skill has decreased that dramatically. Something else seems real fishy around this recruitment, especially if Rick $ is staying away.

How would adding Thorpe hurt our recruiting for next year? I agree on waters. No need to go there. There are enough red flags. But Thorpe. I'm all in.

Oh, me too. Absolutely want Thorpe. I don't wanna waste a scholarship that could go to 2018. I probably worded it wrong, but I'm on the same page. Doesn't help that I didn't even mention Geno in my post.

Really want Thorpe, and to move on from EA. Well, maybe if it is 2018 with EA. So much talent out there for '18 that Thorpe makes perfect sense. The missing piece to the puzzle. IMO.

Waters dad is a nut , which is a shame because he is a good kid. He has 1 option left, and IMO that's UConn. Even though he doesn't seem to really want to go there.

If this kid was 6'2 I think we'd have him already.

We have a spare scholarship and we're burning one on a transfer. We burnt one last year with a redshirt and one the year before all while with reductions. I believe we gave one to a walk on as well. The reductions aren't the crutch you make it out to be.

We have a spare scholarship and we're burning one on a transfer. We burnt one last year with a redshirt and one the year before all while with reductions. I believe we gave one to a walk on as well. The reductions aren't the crutch you make it out to be.

We don't really have a spare one or we'll more or less have no 2018 class. Having to count on Tyus to leave early in order to have 1 available wouldn't be the best use of resources. Hence why I was referencing when we used to just burn them on big lotto tickets, we are in no situation to be able to do that currently.

We don't really have a spare one or we'll more or less have no 2018 class. Having to count on Tyus to leave early in order to have 1 available wouldn't be the best use of resources. Hence why I was referencing when we used to just burn them on big lotto tickets, we are in no situation to be able to do that currently.
If we land one more we are at 10. That leaves a spare and we get another back next year, so that's two. I'd expect two early departures taking us to 4. Buddy can walk on so we could easily take 5 next year.

Edit: keep forgetting Hughes. Take all my estimates down one

Last edited:
There's a huge downside if that does happen and we end up with 9 or 10 players in these 2 classes...We would barely be able to take anyone in '19 & '20 and then once the '17 & '18 kids are upperclassmen, we're going to be in some serious transition trouble with Jimmy definitely nearing the end. I don't have any answers either but just something in my head that I'm afraid of down the road. But I guess its not really worth worrying about 2021 when we're still figuring out 2017.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom