Phil Steele Preview | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele Preview

I think Bergeron is the most underrated “star” on our team. 4th team? Last year according to PFF he was the 6th best OT in the ACC including the 3rd best pass blocking OT which was higher rated than Ekwonu of NCSt who was drafted 6th in the NFL draft.
Good points

What about Shrader?
Him? He's solid.
Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

If he can get to average starting ACC QB this year and above average in '23...we all should be quite happy.

Kinda like Rick Cassata playing with Floyd and Larry

I watched Cassatta play for the Ottawa Roughriders . And Tony Gabriel. Yes, I’m old

Defenses prepare to stop 4th and 1’s and offenses work on those situations as well. It’s not a sure thing either way. Anything can happen. What if they got stopped and was denied a opportunity to tie the game? Would that have been the worse decision?
the decision was fine.. 48 yds is a chip shot for 95% of all college kickers.. now if he was missing every kick outside 40 yds all week then thats a different discussion. But we dont have that info

the decision was fine.. 48 yds is a chip shot for 95% of all college kickers.. now if he was missing every kick outside 40 yds all week then thats a different discussion. But we dont have that info
Agree. Good points

Have to slightly disagree. I don’t think it was the worst decision in the world like some here are saying, but going into that game Andre was 1-4 on FGs 40+ yards out. and was only hitting 70% overall on the season. While Sean Tucker was averaging over 7 yards a carry that night and had 200+ yards. I personally would’ve went for it.

Power 5 stats say about 60% from that distance vs. 90% for a true chip shot. Better than 50:50 odds, but no guarantee.

698C935E-1AD6-40D5-AC32-86162EFEDA0F.jpeg

Power 5 stats say about 60% from that distance vs. 90% for a true chip shot. Better than 50:50 odds, but no guarantee.

View attachment 217915
this also is for all kickers in all conditions.. remove all the kickers that are kicking at 50-60% and see how the stats change.

Yes I spitballed 95%> because the groza award winner should be making that kick in a dome 90% of the time. the pro guys are 90%, most of them 40-60 yds..

so for instance to show how random these stats are

from
38 yds 53%
39 yds 76%
45 yds 52%
46 yds 80%
47 yds 50%
48 yds 60%

so 2 less yds closer means 20% better chance a 48 yds
so 1 more yd means 25% better from 39

55yds 67%

the issue isnt distance its the kickers.

if you dont trust the kicker why kick it at all ..

for the most part they are 85-90% until the mid 30s then they tail off.

If you can barely kick a 50yd FG then yeah 48 is an iffy.. if you have 55 yd range then 48 Should pretty normal

this also is for all kickers in all conditions.. remove all the kickers that are kicking at 50-60% and see how the stats change.

Yes I spitballed 95%> because the groza award winner should be making that kick in a dome 90% of the time. the pro guys are 90%, most of them 40-60 yds..

so for instance to show how random these stats are

from
38 yds 53%
39 yds 76%
45 yds 52%
46 yds 80%
47 yds 50%
48 yds 60%

so 2 less yds closer means 20% better chance a 48 yds
so 1 more yd means 25% better from 39

55yds 67%

the issue isnt distance its the kickers.

if you dont trust the kicker why kick it at all ..

for the most part they are 85-90% until the mid 30s then they tail off.

If you can barely kick a 50yd FG then yeah 48 is an iffy.. if you have 55 yd range then 48 Should pretty normal
Those are power 5 stats, not all kickers. They are what they are. There is “should” and there is reality.

Have to slightly disagree. I don’t think it was the worst decision in the world like some here are saying, but going into that game Andre was 1-4 on FGs 40+ yards out. and was only hitting 70% overall on the season. While Sean Tucker was averaging over 7 yards a carry that night and had 200+ yards. I personally would’ve went for it.
Keep in mind we are all basing our opinions on limited info. These decisions are made from information the staff has about their players and the opponent. For example, Andre could have been killing it in practice that week. There’s different things that impact these decisions.

Those are power 5 stats, not all kickers. They are what they are. There is “should” and there is reality.
no its all kickers in all P5 positions.. That includes everyone in a P5. it also includes every kick in bad weather every 2-3-4 stringer that kicked and teams that just had bad kickers,.

If you think you have a decent kicker than 48 is no different that 42 other than in their head. What limit do you trust him. 3 yrs ago it was clearly anywhere on the field..

hit it solid and it goes in.. He wouldnt have made that kick from 35 they way he kicked it ..

no its all kickers in all P5 positions.. That includes everyone in a P5. it also includes every kick in bad weather every 2-3-4 stringer that kicked and teams that just had bad kickers,.

If you think you have a decent kicker than 48 is no different that 42 other than in their head. What limit do you trust him. 3 yrs ago it was clearly anywhere on the field..

hit it solid and it goes in.. He wouldnt have made that kick from 35 they way he kicked it ..
Second and third string kickers don’t usually see the field. Not sure what you mean by all P5 positions. Also, we are talking college not pros that you mentioned earlier. It’s not a gimme that you are making it out to be especially for a kicker having an off year. I am not saying we shouldn’t have expected him to make it, I object to calling it a chip shot.

its a chip shot in distance..

people act like 38 yds kick 48 yds dont.. Thats my point. If you trust him to make it you kick it.. Dino did. Im sure if Dino though he was gonna kick a wounded duck he wouldnt have kicked it.

Defenses prepare to stop 4th and 1’s and offenses work on those situations as well. It’s not a sure thing either way. Anything can happen. What if they got stopped and was denied a opportunity to tie the game? Would that have been the worse decision?
That was a tough one. I remember not feeling good about either option. Clemson was definitely not letting us run as well as we had been, so 4 and 1 was no gimme. At the same time, given how poorly we were kicking fgs, I didn't like our odds of hitting from 48 yards. Rock and hard place. I think I leaned toward going for it in the hopes of setting up a closer fg.

Agree. Good points
My two cents is that Dinos decisions are often doomed to fail not because his decision is necessarily wrong, rather his inability to make a quick decision leads to his players and coaches often being left with little time to execute. The clock always seems to be running low as Dino finally makes his decision. Our players rush into position and the lack of cohesiveness results in poor execution and failure.

yeah, 2019 is when he started to change, I think he got some of his fire back last year and gambled a bit more, but I think now that he isn't playing with house money like he was early in his tenure and his job was safe, he got tighter.
I think it was all a reflection of his confidence in the offense and specifically the qb. His first three years, he had a qb, at least part of the season, that he knew was clutch and had some WR's that scared teams deep. 2019 and 2020 we lacked both. Lasr year was saw an upgrade at qb but still lacked downfield threats. If we can upgrade both further, I think we'll see the gambler a bit more.

Except you see guys change mechanics as distance changes. That's why you'll see a ball get blocked more often on a deep kick as the kicker kicks it at a lower trajectory to get more distance. Given Szmyts struggles the last couple years, I have little doubt he was kicking 48 yarders different than he was 38 yarders. If we were talking about 2018 Szmyt, I would agree distance didn't matter.

Keep in mind we are all basing our opinions on limited info. These decisions are made from information the staff has about their players and the opponent. For example, Andre could have been killing it in practice that week. There’s different things that impact these decisions.
Absolutely of course, there’s always going to be things that we don’t know about that impact decisions, that’s why I wasn’t as upset as others when Dino made that call. But based off of what we did know, like Andre struggling in games up to that point, and Sean Tucker doing Sean Tucker things that night, I would’ve just taken my chances giving it to 34 to snag a yard and move the chains.

Last edited:
Absolutely of course, there’s always going to be things that we don’t know about that impact decisions, that’s why I wasn’t as upset as others when Dino made that call. But based off of what we did know, like Andre struggling in games up to that point, and Sean Tucker doing Sean Tucker things that night, I would’ve just taken my chances giving it to 34 to snag a yard and move the chains.
good points

My two cents is that Dinos decisions are often doomed to fail not because his decision is necessarily wrong, rather his inability to make a quick decision leads to his players and coaches often being left with little time to execute. The clock always seems to be running low as Dino finally makes his decision. Our players rush into position and the lack of cohesiveness results in poor execution and failure.
agree

That was a tough one. I remember not feeling good about either option. Clemson was definitely not letting us run as well as we had been, so 4 and 1 was no gimme. At the same time, given how poorly we were kicking fgs, I didn't like our odds of hitting from 48 yards. Rock and hard place. I think I leaned toward going for it in the hopes of setting up a closer fg.
I had the same thoughts as well

Right now he’s a future TE. The ACC is loaded at QB, Schrader needs to be significantly better to not have a huge disadvantage. I hope he’s doing the work. He’s a good athlete, that’s about all we have seen.

His first 2 games, he threw for 200 yards. Then he took a cheap shot and played hurt in the last 5 games or so. If DeVito had hung around until the end of the season, we might have picked up an extra win or two and actually played in a bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom