Pitino | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino

Zero percent surprised. Season is going pretty much exactly as I expected, and I can back that up with my 8-2 betting record on this year’s team (Steveholt can independently confirm this since we confer on the line before each game).

Then I'd advise you to purchase a lottery ticket.

But I'll use this discussion to turn things back to the subject of this thread -- between Pitino's assessment of the team, which stands in marked contrast to what you presciently expected, and our coaching staff publicly expressing that they expected this to be a top 3 team in the ACC -- something is off.

And this continues a trend in recent years of our coaches seeming to not have their finger on the pulse, which is not a comforting thought. Many instances in recent years--their confidence about Quade Green, the 2017 squad being the best team we'd had in a "long time," this year's prognosis...

Could two HOF coaches really be this out of touch?

This team, if nothing else, SHOULD be able to play elite D like that team did

But remember how bad the defense was for the brief times when Boeheim used Triche at the 3? At Villanova comes to mind, and there were a couple other instances - no more than 20 minutes total, I'd guess.

That's what we're doing for 30+ minutes every game with Hughes. And I'm not sure that Hughes is as good a defender as Triche was.

But remember how bad the defense was for the brief times when Boeheim used Triche at the 3? At Villanova comes to mind, and there were a couple other instances - no more than 20 minutes total, I'd guess.

That's what we're doing for 30+ minutes every game with Hughes. And I'm not sure that Hughes is as good a defender as Triche was.
I think Hughes is getting there, though - he seems to have good instincts, just has to become more disciplined in his positioning and slides

I think Hughes is getting there, though - he seems to have good instincts, just has to become more disciplined in his positioning and slides

Game reps. No substitute for game reps. I wish people would remember this with regard to incoming freshmen and transfers. Spoiler: they're not going to be good right away, even after a year of practice.

Hughes seems coachable (no inside info here). No doubt he'll improve. Wish they'd leave him at the top of the zone, though. I agree with someone else's thought that he's going to struggle against some ACC teams - counterintuitively, right around the time he starts to get comfortable.

Hughes defensive metrics are pretty good. It’s Battle who has taken a step back defensively.

Hughes defensive metrics are pretty good. It’s Battle who has taken a step back defensively.

I hesitate to say this, but Battle looks like he's taking plays off sometimes. And he had some very good defensive possessions on Tuesday. But not consistently. I'm afraid his offense might be affecting his defense.

Greasy goes to Greece.

9EFC943D-6B5E-4B10-94A8-DFB8FF127047.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom