Pitino | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino

Random question...has anyone heard of pretty Ricky being in town tonight and meeting up with JB for some Italian? (Yes this is a real question) I heard something but didnt want to spread false information so just wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything?

Stop into Delmonicos around 6:30. ;)

Random question...has anyone heard of pretty Ricky being in town tonight and meeting up with JB for some Italian? (Yes this is a real question) I heard something but didnt want to spread false information so just wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything?
Yeah there is no chance in heck this is happening.
JB did Pitino a solid in the offseason but he isn’t bringing him in.

Yeah there is no chance in heck this is happening.
JB did Pitino a solid in the offseason but he isn’t bringing him in.
I didnt say anything about bringing anyone in...I'm not even sure if what I heard is true but I figured I'd ask. Just heard he may be in town meeting with JB for dinner.

I didnt say anything about bringing anyone in...I'm not even sure if what I heard is true but I figured I'd ask. Just heard he may be in town meeting with JB for dinner.
Not directed at you. As I appreciate the info but JB isn’t stupid.
This would be stupid unless it was just a dinner between friends.

Not going to lie -- last night, I thought about Pitino's preseason assessment of our team, and wondered why it hadn't come to pass. JB also expressed that he believed this was a top 3 ACC team this year.

Hard to believe how badly things have gone awry.

Not directed you. As I appreciate the info but JB isn’t stupid.
This would be stupid unless it was just a dinner between friends.
Gotchya...yea it may not even be true but I heard it from someone who is close to me...and he heard it from someone else. So yea it could be complete nonsense but i figured I'd ask and see if anyone has heard anything similar.

Not going to lie -- last night, I thought about Pitino's preseason assessment of our team, and wondered why it hadn't come to pass. JB also expressed that he believed this was a top 3 ACC team this year.

Not so surprising when our players disappear from one game to another. Battle doesn’t put up the numbers he should every game. OB has been bad. Too much inconsistency and we don’t have a leader on this team. We have a bunch of players shooting too many 3’s and only looking to shoot when they should be driving to the basket.

Not so surprising when our players disappear from one game to another. Battle doesn’t put up the numbers he should every game. OB has been bad. Too much inconsistency and we don’t have a leader on this team. We have a bunch of players shooting too many 3’s and only looking to shoot when they should be driving to the basket.

My opinion only, but that shouldn't happen with a veteran group of players who've had success and now what it takes to succeed at a high level on a national stage. So it is surprising.

I am 0% surprised by how the season is playing out. Last year's SW16 run was great, but that team was crummy for the 30+ other games. Sample size matters. The smarter bet was that the returning talent is more like the 30+ crummy games than the 4 good games.

And more importantly, we don't have a lot of high ceiling players where you look at the team and say "wow, there is a LOT of room for growth".

Tyus is a really good college player but he's not consistent from game to game and is not as athletic as our fanbase seems to think.

Brisset showed beyond a shadow of a doubt last year that he is an incredibly inefficient player with the shooting percentages that he put up inside the arc. He doesn't have any touch around the basket. I honestly think that is something that is really, really hard to teach. [As an aside - people here compare him to Paul Harris in terms of finishing - this is LAUGHABLE. Harris shot 47 and 49.4% from the floor his last two years here. If Brisset shot at that percentage, he'd be putting up John Wallace SR year numbers.]

Howard is not a high upside player because he's not overly quick or athletic. I don't see where his ceiling is much higher than what he showed last year, and he went into the season with a serious injury.

I didn't look at that group as having much room for growth from last year. Incremental improvements, sure, but not bigtime changes.

Chukwu is Chukwu. Sidibe is recovering from longstanding/nagging injuries. Marek has either been told not to shoot (yes, this is a Boeheim thing), or he is too scarred to shoot. Then we have a SG playing the wing of the zone - this is going to be a HUGE problem once we hit ACC play. You just can't afford to have a wing of the zone grabbing sub 5 rebounds per game when your center rotation is Chewy, Sid, and Marek.

I think we can get to 9-9 in ACC play but I just don't see much upside over that.

Mason

I am 0% surprised by how the season is playing out. Last year's SW16 run was great, but that team was crummy for the 30+ other games. Sample size matters. The smarter bet was that the returning talent is more like the 30+ crummy games than the 4 good games.

And more importantly, we don't have a lot of high ceiling players where you look at the team and say "wow, there is a LOT of room for growth".

Tyus is a really good college player but he's not consistent from game to game and is not as athletic as our fanbase seems to think.

Brisset showed beyond a shadow of a doubt last year that he is an incredibly inefficient player with the shooting percentages that he put up inside the arc. He doesn't have any touch around the basket. I honestly think that is something that is really, really hard to teach. [As an aside - people here compare him to Paul Harris in terms of finishing - this is LAUGHABLE. Harris shot 47 and 49.4% from the floor his last two years here. If Brisset shot at that percentage, he'd be putting up John Wallace SR year numbers.]

Howard is not a high upside player because he's not overly quick or athletic. I don't see where his ceiling is much higher than what he showed last year, and he went into the season with a serious injury.

I didn't look at that group as having much room for growth from last year. Incremental improvements, sure, but not bigtime changes.

Chukwu is Chukwu. Sidibe is recovering from longstanding/nagging injuries. Marek has either been told not to shoot (yes, this is a Boeheim thing), or he is too scarred to shoot. Then we have a SG playing the wing of the zone - this is going to be a HUGE problem once we hit ACC play. You just can't afford to have a wing of the zone grabbing sub 5 rebounds per game when your center rotation is Chewy, Sid, and Marek.

I think we can get to 9-9 in ACC play but I just don't see much upside over that.

Mason
I don’t even think Battle is a very good college player , he showed that he’s an average player based on him disappearing from one game to another. I still find the NBA talk laughable. He’s not the only one though we have a bunch of inconsistencies on offense from pretty much everyone.[/QUOTE]

Mason

You're zero percent surprised that we're 8-4, and have lost two consective home games? Okay...

You're more astute of a basketball observer than that. It's one thing to say that you aren't surprised that the team didn't magically transform into a high scoring group and overcome all of last year's limitations, based on the sample size you reference. Reasonable take.

It's quite another to imply that you expected a regression from a team that won ~24 games last year, returned five starters, and added some depth that was lacking last year.

Because if you're zero percent surprised about the latter, then you're precognitive.

Team retreat with Uncle Rick

There’s no reason this team couldn’t at least be as good as the 2013 team that had MCW, Triche, Dirty, and Fair. Our 4 main guys are pretty similar overall as that crew and both teams have centers that did little offensively. That team had some difficulty scoring, played elite D and still beat some great teams that year in Indiana and Louisville.

Last edited:
There’s no reason this team couldn’t at least be as good as the 2013 team that had MCW, Triche, Dirty, and Fair. Our 4 main guys are pretty similar overall as that crew and both teams have centers that did little offensively. That team had some difficulty scoring, played elite D and still beat some great teams that year in Indiana and Louisville.
This team, if nothing else, SHOULD be able to play elite D like that team did

This team, if nothing else, SHOULD be able to play elite D like that team did

I think Southerland, Fair, and Grant >>>>>Hughes, Brissett, and Marek defensively at the forward spots.

And I know Christmas and Keita were better than our centers.

I think Southerland, Fair, and Grant >>>>>Hughes, Brissett, and Marek defensively at the forward spots.

maybe - I saw games/parts of games last year where we were every bit as formidable as the '13 zone - not sure yet about Hughes tho

Fair is better offensively than anyone we have on this team. I know you’re talking defensive though. Man i miss his game. We need more of him than what we’ve been getting.

You're zero percent surprised that we're 8-4, and have lost two consective home games? Okay...

You're more astute of a basketball observer than that. It's one thing to say that you aren't surprised that the team didn't magically transform into a high scoring group and overcome all of last year's limitations, based on the sample size you reference. Reasonable take.

It's quite another to imply that you expected a regression from a team that won ~24 games last year, returned five starters, and added some depth that was lacking last year.

Because if you're zero percent surprised about the latter, then you're precognitive.

Zero percent surprised. Season is going pretty much exactly as I expected, and I can back that up with my 8-2 betting record on this year’s team (Steveholt can independently confirm this since we confer on the line before each game).

I'll take a senior Arinze with his post-up disco feet all day long... Now that was a guy that showed improvement each year and was a machine by the time he was a senior...

What I'd give to see one of our centers put down a dribble spin layup without getting the ball stripped the second they try the bounce dribble.

The center position has been so poorly recruited in the last few years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom