Pitt game observations | Syracusefan.com

Pitt game observations

billsin01

All American
A random collection of thoughts while neglecting my family. These are probably expressed elsewhere, but here goes:

Loved the defensive line. Great game for this group. MPB, Bromley and Sharpe all had outstanding games. A bunch of other guys contributed and this group was really only a hair or two away from a couple other really big plays (including one awful missed int. grounding call, IMO). I loved, by the way, that the announcers stated that officials couldn't judge a QB's intent ... wait for it ... when deciding whether or not to call intentional grounding. Nicely done fellas.

Nice job by Shafer. I admit that I irrationally love Shafer b/c I love an aggressive defense, even if it surrenders some chunks of yardage from time to time. But on this night, at least, really nice game-plan by putting it on Sunseri's shoulders. This is a defense that has some key parts missing, but played really well.

Specials looked better. It's nice to at least come out of game and feel like Specials didn't absolutely kill us. Even did some nice things at times with great kick coverage putting Pitt in a major hole on at least one occasion. Coker nearly made a huge play as well on punt coverage.

Nassib is what he is. Not Nassib's best game, obviously. He's a solid QB but, equally as apparent, he's limited. Not a great feel for moving in the pocket, an awkward (though occasionally pretty effective) runner, and obviously prone to missing some very completable (not actually a word) passes. I haven't seen as much debate on him here lately, but ultimately I think he just is what he is -- decent but not great QB.

OL still looks seriously wobbly to me. Getting Pugh back didn't make me feel that much better about our OL. This is a group that just gets abused at times. Thought Macky got beat inside a few times, thought the tackles were merely OK in pass pro and thought the guards allowed a couple plays to be blown up before they started. Going to be hard to have a consistent offense until we figure out how to excel here.

Diabate is not great in the middle. I like the kid, he plays hard and can move pretty well. But he's struggling in the middle. Thought he blew coverage twice and, generally, is a non-factor vs. the run. We've probably been worse here at times but if we were a bit better in the middle, I think this defense could be really, really good.

AAM is unquestionably a load, but mostly in a bad way. Were people really arguing last year that he was "just a big back"? He still looks way slow and out of shape to me. I guess he's OK in short yardage, but I'm still not terribly excited about him there. He needs to drop another 20 lbs, IMO.

Gulley might need more touches. Just feel like he can be a threat to make a 5-yard run or pass into 15 or more. We don't have much of that, even from some of our better players like Sales and West. Would like to see him closer to 20 touches between runs and catches.

DM was pretty aggressive. In fact I almost thought he was a little too aggressive on that last drive, NAssib snapped the ball with 25, 26 and 20 seconds left on the clock. But I like that he played pretty aggressive generally. I really don't think it's terrible to conservative at times, but with the present state of our specials, I like idea of being aggressive on both sides of the ball.

Overall impression ... bleh. I honestly don't know what to make of that game. Nice to get a win and end a miserable streak against FBS teams. And a win is a win. Thought the offense looked a bit better than the numbers suggested as did the defense (Sunseri eclipses 300 yards, but Pitt had to earn most of those, with the exception of the one big play to shanahan). But ultimately it's hard to really get a great feeling out of that win. We couldn't score a point after the first drive and we got out-gained. Just ugly but I guess we'll take it and see what happens next.

I disagree with you on Gulley. I thought Smith looked much better at RB last night and was much more of a threat to do anything.

I disagree with you on Gulley. I thought Smith looked much better at RB last night and was much more of a threat to do anything.
Smith averaged twice as many yards per carry last night. Smith had a few good runs on the last drive, then TPG came in and wasn't as effective. Smith ran angry last night.

A random collection of thoughts while neglecting my family. These are probably expressed elsewhere, but here goes:

Loved the defensive line. Great game for this group. MPB, Bromley and Sharpe all had outstanding games. A bunch of other guys contributed and this group was really only a hair or two away from a couple other really big plays (including one awful missed int. grounding call, IMO). I loved, by the way, that the announcers stated that officials couldn't judge a QB's intent ... wait for it ... when deciding whether or not to call intentional grounding. Nicely done fellas.

Nice job by Shafer. I admit that I irrationally love Shafer b/c I love an aggressive defense, even if it surrenders some chunks of yardage from time to time. But on this night, at least, really nice game-plan by putting it on Sunseri's shoulders. This is a defense that has some key parts missing, but played really well.

Specials looked better. It's nice to at least come out of game and feel like Specials didn't absolutely kill us. Even did some nice things at times with great kick coverage putting Pitt in a major hole on at least one occasion. Coker nearly made a huge play as well on punt coverage.

Nassib is what he is. Not Nassib's best game, obviously. He's a solid QB but, equally as apparent, he's limited. Not a great feel for moving in the pocket, an awkward (though occasionally pretty effective) runner, and obviously prone to missing some very completable (not actually a word) passes. I haven't seen as much debate on him here lately, but ultimately I think he just is what he is -- decent but not great QB.

OL still looks seriously wobbly to me. Getting Pugh back didn't make me feel that much better about our OL. This is a group that just gets abused at times. Thought Macky got beat inside a few times, thought the tackles were merely OK in pass pro and thought the guards allowed a couple plays to be blown up before they started. Going to be hard to have a consistent offense until we figure out how to excel here.

Diabate is not great in the middle. I like the kid, he plays hard and can move pretty well. But he's struggling in the middle. Thought he blew coverage twice and, generally, is a non-factor vs. the run. We've probably been worse here at times but if we were a bit better in the middle, I think this defense could be really, really good.

AAM is unquestionably a load, but mostly in a bad way. Were people really arguing last year that he was "just a big back"? He still looks way slow and out of shape to me. I guess he's OK in short yardage, but I'm still not terribly excited about him there. He needs to drop another 20 lbs, IMO.

Gulley might need more touches. Just feel like he can be a threat to make a 5-yard run or pass into 15 or more. We don't have much of that, even from some of our better players like Sales and West. Would like to see him closer to 20 touches between runs and catches.

DM was pretty aggressive. In fact I almost thought he was a little too aggressive on that last drive, NAssib snapped the ball with 25, 26 and 20 seconds left on the clock. But I like that he played pretty aggressive generally. I really don't think it's terrible to conservative at times, but with the present state of our specials, I like idea of being aggressive on both sides of the ball.

Overall impression ... bleh. I honestly don't know what to make of that game. Nice to get a win and end a miserable streak against FBS teams. And a win is a win. Thought the offense looked a bit better than the numbers suggested as did the defense (Sunseri eclipses 300 yards, but Pitt had to earn most of those, with the exception of the one big play to shanahan). But ultimately it's hard to really get a great feeling out of that win. We couldn't score a point after the first drive and we got out-gained. Just ugly but I guess we'll take it and see what happens next.

97 had a heck of a game, he beat Mackey straight up once, but he also split Trudo/Hickey on stunt, and beat Chibane. No one was immune, kid seems to be a very good player.

Bottomline is that they had 5 negative plays including one sack. SU won the battle at the LOS on both sides of the ball. That's a good sign.

Smith learned to square his shoulders and run vertically last night which is something he hasnt been doing. When he squares up and runs north and south he is our best back. Good to see. Nassib is marginal at best and is never going to be a great QB for us still when the game was on the line he really shined. A couple of those runs were key and although he looked like a mule at the Derby he got the job done. I disagree on AAM thought he showed great quicks and feet. Hope that he gets the rock alot more in the coming weeks. The D was outstanding. Anderson needs to be replaced and will be as soon as Reddish comes back. Lynn is playing very well and i would hope to see more of Morgan. Not sure why Dan V doesnt play more in the middle.

Loved the defensive line. Great game for this group. MPB, Bromley and Sharpe all had outstanding games. A bunch of other guys contributed and this group was really only a hair or two away from a couple other really big plays (including one awful missed int. grounding call, IMO). I loved, by the way, that the announcers stated that officials couldn't judge a QB's intent ... wait for it ... when deciding whether or not to call intentional grounding. Nicely done fellas. DTs were great against the run. Sharpe was the player I hoped he would be as a Frosh.

Nice job by Shafer. I admit that I irrationally love Shafer b/c I love an aggressive defense, even if it surrenders some chunks of yardage from time to time. But on this night, at least, really nice game-plan by putting it on Sunseri's shoulders. This is a defense that has some key parts missing, but played really well. I love when he is agressive but I think people like to remember his agressive games (WV) and miss that he is a very conservative DC.

Specials looked better. It's nice to at least come out of game and feel like Specials didn't absolutely kill us. Even did some nice things at times with great kick coverage putting Pitt in a major hole on at least one occasion. Coker nearly made a huge play as well on punt coverage. Maybe you missed the brain fart by Rene on the KR? Or some of the worst punting of the year?

Nassib is what he is. Not Nassib's best game, obviously. He's a solid QB but, equally as apparent, he's limited. Not a great feel for moving in the pocket, an awkward (though occasionally pretty effective) runner, and obviously prone to missing some very completable (not actually a word) passes. I haven't seen as much debate on him here lately, but ultimately I think he just is what he is -- decent but not great QB. The zone read is hurt because he doesn't keep a D honest. Which is likely why we saw so many WR runs/shovel passes yesterday. Although running it with the guys we did doesn't really keep a D honest either. Nassib also hurts us by having no ability to throw the ball deep. Teams don't have to worry about that, which is another hinderance. Yesterday he simply was impatient and looked like he had never seen the coverage Pitt played before in his life. Instead of waiting for something to come open he would dump it off or (LOL) take off running before he needed to.

OL still looks seriously wobbly to me. Getting Pugh back didn't make me feel that much better about our OL. This is a group that just gets abused at times. Thought Macky got beat inside a few times, thought the tackles were merely OK in pass pro and thought the guards allowed a couple plays to be blown up before they started. Going to be hard to have a consistent offense until we figure out how to excel here. I thought they were fine. Macky did have some issues and got away with two obvious holds. But teams well get beat from time to time. That is all I noticed yesterday. They seemed perfectly adequate. As long as they aren't beat often, we should negative plays.

Diabate is not great in the middle. I like the kid, he plays hard and can move pretty well. But he's struggling in the middle. Thought he blew coverage twice and, generally, is a non-factor vs. the run. We've probably been worse here at times but if we were a bit better in the middle, I think this defense could be really, really good. He hits like a FS. I really hope he is our best option and the coaches aren't clouded by his story. Is he really better than Lynch or Vaughan?

AAM is unquestionably a load, but mostly in a bad way. Were people really arguing last year that he was "just a big back"? He still looks way slow and out of shape to me. I guess he's OK in short yardage, but I'm still not terribly excited about him there. He needs to drop another 20 lbs, IMO. He seems like he found his role here and that is all I can really see him doing.

Gulley might need more touches. Just feel like he can be a threat to make a 5-yard run or pass into 15 or more. We don't have much of that, even from some of our better players like Sales and West. Would like to see him closer to 20 touches between runs and catches. PTG is the bigger threat. He can make cuts and get more yards when there isn't a nice hole to run through. He can make guys miss, which we need with our OL. Smith needs Wiscy type holes to have success. That long run was very strong but that was more a credit to the OL than him. If our OL can do that consistently (yeah right), then Smith is fine.

DM was pretty aggressive. In fact I almost thought he was a little too aggressive on that last drive, NAssib snapped the ball with 25, 26 and 20 seconds left on the clock. But I like that he played pretty aggressive generally. I really don't think it's terrible to conservative at times, but with the present state of our specials, I like idea of being aggressive on both sides of the ball. I don't get the clock complaints. There was too much time to sit on the ball. We needed to move up field and get first downs. Then once we did, we killed the clock. There is no way we kill it if we did so right away. Marrone did a great job here.

Overall impression ... bleh. I honestly don't know what to make of that game. Nice to get a win and end a miserable streak against FBS teams. And a win is a win. Thought the offense looked a bit better than the numbers suggested as did the defense (Sunseri eclipses 300 yards, but Pitt had to earn most of those, with the exception of the one big play to shanahan). But ultimately it's hard to really get a great feeling out of that win. We couldn't score a point after the first drive and we got out-gained. Just ugly but I guess we'll take it and see what happens next. The passing O was quite bad and is a concern going forward. Is the book out on us? The D was great on 1st down and awful on 3rd down. Sunseri really didn't have to earn those yards we gave them to him. If you play a bad QB you don't make things easier on him by playing a soft coverage and bringing little pressure. That IMO is insane. Look at the difference in the way Shafer called the USF games the last two years. One game he was really aggressive and the other passive. We made BJ Daniels look like Montana last year. I can understand if Sunseri beat us on 1st or 2nd down due to us playing the run. Or if he beat us my making nice throws. But that didn't happen. The kid threw over 75% mainly because he had time to set his feet and throw to open WRs facing a soft coverage. He did not have to make any difficult decisions or throws.

Pitt was 9th in passing efficiency and 26th in passing offense coming into the game. But I guess that's mediocre.

Frankly what thrilled me was how they contained Graham knowing full well that Sunseri would not be able to beat them alone ... look at what Graham did to the front 7 for Va Tech ... this is a game that typically they would lose but as I have said before there is more beef up front and running the ball down the throat of the front four for SU is not going to be an easy task. They are vunerable to misdirection and cutbacks no doubt but it is harder than years past to just line up and smash it at them ... Bromley, Crume and Jones held up very well at the point of attack the whole night.

Pitt was 9th in passing efficiency and 26th in passing offense coming into the game. But I guess that's mediocre.

Half of their opponents were FCS. I would hope they were well ranked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Half of their opponents were FCS. I would hope they were well ranked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which is half the number Rutgers plays ... and one of their foes was ranked (albiet way too high). They took Va Tech out behind the woodshed so lets not pretend they didn't play a bunch of nobodies for all 4 games ... Pitt was on the upswing coming into the Dome ...

Sunseri really didn't have to earn those yards we gave them to him.

Not sure I agree with this at all. SU sacked him 6 times, hit him some others and really didn't give up that many big plays outside the one to Shanahan. The kid completed some passes and gained some yards, but I'm also fairly certain Shafer was content with that knowing that Graham was the bigger threat. I really think that not only did they make him work sufficiently but they pressured him pretty effectively.

Maybe you missed the brain fart by Rene on the KR? Or some of the worst punting of the year?

Your standards are much higher than mine. My only point was that they didn't give up points and/or make absolutely devastating errors. That feels like progress.

97 had a heck of a game, he beat Mackey straight up once, but he also split Trudo/Hickey on stunt, and beat Chibane. No one was immune, kid seems to be a very good player.

Bottomline is that they had 5 negative plays including one sack. SU won the battle at the LOS on both sides of the ball. That's a good sign.

I mentioned that the whole interior struggled at time with the guy who, I agree, is likely a really good player. However, saying you "won" the LOS battle b/c you didn't have too many negative plays is a pretty big stretch, IMO. This offense scored 7 points and put up a shade over 300 yards. They played a bit better than those numbers suggest in some ways, but that's hardly opening holes consistently and controlling the line of scrimmage. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd buy that it was a stalemate in terms of our OL vs. their DL.

I mentioned that the whole interior struggled at time with the guy who, I agree, is likely a really good player. However, saying you "won" the LOS battle b/c you didn't have too many negative plays is a pretty big stretch, IMO. This offense scored 7 points and put up a shade over 300 yards. They played a bit better than those numbers suggest in some ways, but that's hardly opening holes consistently and controlling the line of scrimmage. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd buy that it was a stalemate in terms of our OL vs. their DL.

I thought our DL was far better than their OL and their DL slightly better than our OL.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I thought our DL was far better than their OL and their DL slightly better than our OL.

Yeah, I'd agree. Great performance by the DL and OK, but not good performance by our OL.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think our OL vs their DL was even ... but Donald was the difference maker ... that dude is a beast.

Total offensive yardage against Pitt:

2005: 202
2006: 317
2007: 265
2008: 263
2009: 285
2010: 308
2011: 345
2012: 305

But we're making progress, or something.

Interesting that according to the Marrone quote from Rahme's article the game plan for the D was to force 3rd and long and then go after Pitt. We did force the 3rd and longs but then we sat back in zone with a 3 man rush. I wonder what changed.

Total offensive yardage against Pitt:

2005: 202
2006: 317
2007: 265
2008: 263
2009: 285
2010: 308
2011: 345
2012: 305

But we're making progress, or something.
Scooch, you're looking at it all wrong. Look at the Robinson years vs Marrone years. In the Robinson years we averaged less than 300 yards a game vs Pitt. In the Marrone years we're averaging more than 300 yards vs Pitt.

You need to stop being so demanding and just get your expectations in check.

I was very impressed by the defense. I too am biased towards Shafer because I love how aggressive he is.

Our offense is bizarre, it feels like they are doing more than they actually are and then its halftime and we have 7 points from the offense and 100 yds of total offense. I loved what I saw from Smith, he looked like a difference maker out there.

5 games into the season, 2-3...and I have no clue what to make of this team.

I was very impressed by the defense. I too am biased towards Shafer because I love how aggressive he is.

Our offense is bizarre, it feels like they are doing more than they actually are and then its halftime and we have 7 points from the offense and 100 yds of total offense. I loved what I saw from Smith, he looked like a difference maker out there.

5 games into the season, 2-3...and I have no clue what to make of this team.

This is because we have zero big play ability, so it seems like we're *doing* something, but that's just us running plays between the 30s.

Watching the game again and boy did that 3rd and 7 to start the 2nd Q hurt. Up 14-0 and a chance to get the ball back and we rushed 3 guys all lined up inside the tackles and didn't even faint the blitz. In the past we have played the Okie showing 7 potential pass rushers. Why have we gone away from that this year? We are now basically playing a 3-3-5 on 3rd downs rushing 3 guys up the middle with nothing coming off the edge.

Also I hate West on the deep passes. He is always fighting with the DB and never adjusts to the ball. He needs to do a better job either getting the PI call from the contact or avoiding it and making a play on the ball. I think a good WR has that for a TD.

Also I hate West on the deep passes. He is always fighting with the DB and never adjusts to the ball. He needs to do a better job either getting the PI call from the contact or avoiding it and making a play on the ball. I think a good WR has that for a TD.
always fighting with the DB is the whole point. they're not trying to complete anything

Wow forgot about this but Marrone called TO right before the Pitt FG near the end of the half. The ball was snapped after the whistle and the kicker missed the FG. Who knows if he was distracted by the whistle or not. I HATE when coaches do this. Icing the kicker is fine. But NEVER call time out right before the snap. Also the snapper flinched before the whistle but wasn't called huge miss by the refs.

Wow forgot about this but Marrone called TO right before the Pitt FG near the end of the half. The ball was snapped after the whistle and the kicker missed the FG. Who knows if he was distracted by the whistle or not. I HATE when coaches do this. Icing the kicker is fine. But NEVER call time out right before the snap. Also the snapper flinched before the whistle but wasn't called huge miss by the refs.

This trend is the absolute worst. There is zero evidence that it works, and yet EVERY coach does it now. Such meathead groupthink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom