Pitt suing big east | Syracusefan.com

Pitt suing big east

do we even need too?? if they win the precedent has been set, or do we add to the validity of the claim by suing as well?

They're not just suing to get out early, They want out without paying an exit fee, reimbursement for lost revenue and to get a share of previous paid exit fees. I suspect they hope to settle for an early departure with minimal (or no) exit fees.

I suspect that TWO & TGD were aware of this. If SU were to join the suit why not file a joint suit in RI? If they sue it would be a separate suit. Pitt sued in PA, SU could sue in NY.

with the recent news that louisville wants out, Boise St may not come and there isn't a commissioner of the Big East my thought is they didn't have a choice. Pitt my have a stronger case as WVA leaving would affect their ticket sales as its their biggest rival. My guess is we will see Syracuse follow suit.

Pitt my have a stronger case as WVA leaving would affect their ticket sales as its their biggest rival. My guess is we will see Syracuse follow suit.
Trading a home date with TCU for a game at Mizzou isn't exactly a wash.

Trading a home date with TCU for a game at Mizzou isn't exactly a wash.

The strange thing about ticket sales is that it seems hard to argue against lost ticket sales for WVU and TCU when WVU and TCU's departures were a result of SU and Pitt's departures. So you'd be suing the league for the implications of something you caused.

Never thought this would go to court. Figured the Big East would just give in and move on. But I guess now that the league can't even get its schools to pretend to be on board with the new direction (outside of the Cincy President who is playing the Iraqi Foreign Minister role), it might have to get messy.

We should follow suit we can't guarantee our early departure if Pitt gets out unless we push the envelope and prevent the Big East from milking us. All SU's lawyers have to do is take Pitt's complaint and re-word it and make sure their legal arguments follow NY law.

Yes, give the BE dueling lawsuits to defend while they're: looking for a new commissioner; trying to shore up their reluctant future members; trying to retain current members who are openly talking about leaving; and preparing to negotiate a TV contract where they must come out better than the one they turned down. All this, plus grumbling BB schools and the national press having a feeding frenzy on their ineptness.

They could negotiate a common settlement with deadlines set by whichever states court system can move the case along the fastest.

It's clear the Big East isn't going to do he right thing and let Syracuse and Pitt go. We did the right thing and gave them time to rebuild and didn't hang them out to dry like WVU. Time to get our a$$ in gear and fire up the legal team. Let's get outta here! Go Cuse!!

The college sports world is buzzing that the Big East could collapse by the end of spring.

With the BBall only's openly discussing their secession from the league...
and louisville openly saying they are ready to leave...
and boise now reconsidering their decision to join...
and the need to hire a new comissioner...

Dueling Lawsuits could be what pushes the league over the edge.

enough footing along...'Cuse needs to file also. Get out when the getting is good...its time to say goodnight BE...go f..k yourself.
Once 'Cuse decided to leave, it needs to get out asap...why hang around?

It's clear the Big East isn't going to do he right thing and let Syracuse and Pitt go. We did the right thing and gave them time to rebuild and didn't hang them out to dry like WVU. Time to get our a$$ in gear and fire up the legal team. Let's get outta here! Go Cuse!!

I'm not sure it's clear yet. With the new temporary Commish on board, and everything else that's going on, the BE is distracted. Still hopeful that SU and the BE can work out a sensible agreement to get out for the 2013 football season. It makes no sense for them to make SU and Pitt stay. I'd like to see SU to continue to work with the BE to make this happen without resorting to a lawsuit -- provided it can be cleared up in the next 2-3 months.

I think the statement at the end of that article, apparently from a BE spokesperson, says a lot. The gist is that they say the door was open for Pitt to discuss an early exit from the BE and the BE is now disappointed that Pitt has chosen the legal route.

Translation: they wanted to back SU and Pitt into a corner where they could leverage the WVU agreement ($20 mil), and the seeming stability of the conference in the short term against the two schools with the hope that they would each ante up similar buyout purses. By Pitt filing the lawsuit while the BE is exposed, fractured and leaderless, the BE could actually LOSE money in the transactions. I think the BE is going to have a tougher time defending against the exit strategy by Pitt (and possibly SU) than they did against WVU. The BE is no longer in a position of strength.

We get out for a fraction of what WVU paid. Bank on it.

By Pitt filing the lawsuit while the BE is exposed, fractured and leaderless, the BE could actually LOSE money in the transactions. .

Yeah, this was filed not just so Pitt could get out early, but to avoid paying the $5MM or any exit fee at all. I wonder if SU is planning to join as a second plaintiff or just sit back and watch. Either way, this could result in a financial windfall for the AD.

I'm still predicting SU ends up paying $7.5M and is out in 2013.

I'd like to see Syracuse do it the right way too, but hope is not a strategy and sometimes we must push forward and look out for our own I interests.

I'm not sure it's clear yet. With the new temporary Commish on board, and everything else that's going on, the BE is distracted. Still hopeful that SU and the BE can work out a sensible agreement to get out for the 2013 football season. It makes no sense for them to make SU and Pitt stay. I'd like to see SU to continue to work with the BE to make this happen without resorting to a lawsuit -- provided it can be cleared up in the next 2-3 months.

Yeah, I don't see SU getting in on the lawsuit action. And SU is in a sense looking out for its own interests by not suing, especially if the rumors are correct that the AD wants to maintain a scheduling relationship with some of the b'ball schools like Gtown, SJU, and Nova. Pitt doesn't really have the rivalries SU does with some of the b'ball schools so who cares if they sue? If Pitt is let go, then SU will be let go too. Let them take the hit.

To get out by 2013
There are 13.4 million more reasons to pursue a lawsuit now than there were a couple of days ago. The only remaining question is the size of the exit fee. I expect it will be the $5 million. No extra fees for leaving early.

I think the statement at the end of that article, apparently from a BE spokesperson, says a lot. The gist is that they say the door was open for Pitt to discuss an early exit from the BE and the BE is now disappointed that Pitt has chosen the legal route.

Translation: they wanted to back SU and Pitt into a corner where they could leverage the WVU agreement ($20 mil), and the seeming stability of the conference in the short term against the two schools with the hope that they would each ante up similar buyout purses. By Pitt filing the lawsuit while the BE is exposed, fractured and leaderless, the BE could actually LOSE money in the transactions. I think the BE is going to have a tougher time defending against the exit strategy by Pitt (and possibly SU) than they did against WVU. The BE is no longer in a position of strength.

We get out for a fraction of what WVU paid. Bank on it.
Deal from a position of strength. Put an offer on the table. We'll pay you $ x and we're out by mid next year. If the Big East doesn't immediately accept, duplicate the Pitt lawsuit by next week. Stop ****ing around.

To be honest at this point in time, with all the c*** we have put up with from the Basketball only side its time to cut all ties. From the beginning voting down Penn St, then we form a football conference, and in order to get Rutgers and West Virginia full membership. The league invites Notre Dame as a partial member, and Virginia Tech doesn't get full membership until 2001. That was the beginning of Miami , Virginia Tech, and others looking for an out.

I get why SU did what they did, but the "right thing" was to not leave and stand by your partners in the face of impending financial windfall.

Period.

I get why SU did what they did, but the "right thing" was to not leave and stand by your partners in the face of impending financial windfall.

Period.

:rolling:

Yeah, like UConn would have done the "right" thing if they were offered over either Pitt or SU.

We made Big East football - Pitt, SU, BC, and Miami - and we are all gone now. There was only Big East basketball prior to those four schools banning together to form Big East football. It wasn't Tranghese, who mistakenly gets the credit for it, it was the ADs at those 4 schools. It was also those same ADs that negotiated the CBS contract, not Mike Tranghese back in 1993 that had the league on a verge of split for 1994 and beyond.

They did the "right" thing back then and look what it got them?

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom