Player of the last decade | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Player of the last decade

G-mas was not over rated. He made more 3's than any big east player ever. He is the best free throw shooter in the history of the big east. He was first team all big east his jr and sr year. Forget about the 6 3's in the title game, he scored 43 in a ncaa tournbament game his soph year. An all time great. To think otherwise is silly. The race comment deserves no comment and won't get one from me. And to stone, you never watched Ron S if you think he had a better career than G-mac. Ronnie wasn't much of a player until the end of his jr year.

I decided to pick a player of the decade based on impact on the team, winning meaningful games and impact in the Syracuse community, and years of service. The award goes to Gmac.
It's Carmelo.

Without Carmelo there's no NC.

And there's no Melo Center.

DeShaun Williams... If he doesn't sleep with Shumpert's girl or what ever he did to get booted off the team Gmac doesn't start as a Frosh

I put years of service in my player of the decade criteria thats why melos 1 year didnt qualify him. Even though he meant a lot to the team, city and SU basketball .

I put years of service in my player of the decade criteria thats why melos 1 year didnt qualify him. Even though he meant a lot to the team, city and SU basketball .

Carmelo's one year of service translates to more than what anyone else has done in the past decade, including those who had four-year careers. :noidea:

The frustrating thing about Gerry is that he had really terrible shot selection. The guy scored a lot of points but he also took a ton of really bad shots.

And I don't want to hear that he had to take those shots (he didn't) or that he didn't have any talent around him (he played with three guys that have played in the NBA) and that made his awful shot selection excusable or that he made enough of them to make it ok (his shooting percentages really weren't very good).

I also don't want to hear people getting upset over the recognition of this flaw in his game. It doesn't take anything away from the things he did accomplish. He was a good player, but not a transcendent one.

If it was up to me, he will not ever have his jersey retired.

G-mas was not over rated. He made more 3's than any big east player ever. He is the best free throw shooter in the history of the big east. He was first team all big east his jr and sr year. Forget about the 6 3's in the title game, he scored 43 in a ncaa tournbament game his soph year. An all time great. To think otherwise is silly. The race comment deserves no comment and won't get one from me. And to stone, you never watched Ron S if you think he had a better career than G-mac. Ronnie wasn't much of a player until the end of his jr year.

I did watch Rony and I stand by my comment. The difference is that as an everyday player, Rony got much better as he got older. On an everyday basis, Gerry's best year was as a freshman and he declined each year thereafter. Before I hear the comments, I am talking about consistency. I agree that GMac had some tremendous individual games. I am more concerned with his daily play, and Gerry was very sloppy in many, many games as he got older, especially his senior year. As for Rony, the big reason we got to the Final Four in 1987 (I was a student at SU at the time), was because of his phenomenal play. He made himself into a tremendous player, especially where he started from and taking into context who he had to play against in the middle. And if you dont believe me, look at the rafters of the Carrier Dome next time you go inside, Rony's number is hanging there.

But, how do you discount the greatest year in the program's history??? I was an SU fan before I went to the school and I could only dream of a national title especially after the disappointment of 1987. 2003 was the team of the decade, and Carmelo was the undisputed leader and best player on the them. I do not agree that one year does not qualify him. I would rather have one more year of Carmelo, than four years of any other player during the 2000's. To me, it is not not even a close call. I nearly cried at the top of the Superdome in April 2003 when Hakim blocked that shot, and will never forget what that win meant to me. And I know we win that title because of Carmelo playing one year at Syracuse. And from what I remember, JB said to Carmelo "thank you". That says it all.

The frustrating thing about Gerry is that he had really terrible shot selection. The guy scored a lot of points but he also took a ton of really bad shots.

And I don't want to hear that he had to take those shots (he didn't) or that he didn't have any talent around him (he played with three guys that have played in the NBA) and that made his awful shot selection excusable or that he made enough of them to make it ok (his shooting percentages really weren't very good).

I also don't want to hear people getting upset over the recognition of this flaw in his game. It doesn't take anything away from the things he did accomplish. He was a good player, but not a transcendent one.

If it was up to me, he will not ever have his jersey retired.

People forget about the shot selection. I agree with your post completely. A good player, not a transcendent one (except in popularity)

Carmelo's one year of service translates to more than what anyone else has done in the past decade, including those who had four-year careers. :noidea:

Question: If GMac had been good enough to go to the NBA after one year like Carmelo, would some folks think differently about GMac's contribution in that one year (2003) than they do now? In other words, Carmelo's contribution seems more important since his efforts were concentrated in one year, the championship year, while GMac had 3 later good years, but the team didn't do that much. What if GMac also went out after 1 year in a blaze of glory like Carmelo - would you think the same?

This in no way takes away from the great things Carmelo did for SU that year, or in subsequent years.

Question: If GMac had been good enough to go to the NBA after one year like Carmelo, would some folks think differently about GMac's contribution in that one year (2003) than they do now? In other words, Carmelo's contribution seems more important since his efforts were concentrated in one year, the championship year, while GMac had 3 later good years, but the team didn't do that much. What if GMac also went out after 1 year in a blaze of glory like Carmelo - would you think the same?

This in no way takes away from the great things Carmelo did for SU that year, or in subsequent years.
GMac leaving after one year wouldn't have put him on par with Carmelo.

Being as good as Carmelo might not even have put him on par with Carmelo since Carmelo was such a superior physical athlete for a college player.

Doesn't "Player of the Decade" mean the best player of the decade??? How does "Player of the Decade" come to mean the player who meant the most to his team in the last decade? Are we now just creating new rules to a simple question. Who was the best player of the decade??? Either way, how can anyone not argue that Carmelo was not the best player and meant the most to his team. Besides the national title, he completely reinvigorated the program to a level not seen since the late 80's-early 90's. And we are still enjoying his benefits, with two recent NCAA #1 seeds and our amazing recruiting streak. Completely agree that Hak was a really great player, but no one seems to notice it

I'm not creating anything I'm pointing out the obvious that "player of the decade" does not necessarily mean best player...to each its own. Also we had a rough 5years after Melo left so how could he have "completely reinvigorated the program" I think that was JB he climbed the mountain in the 80's and he is doing it again now.

Not sure how you can vote for anyone than Melo. Do you realize the impact he has had on SU recruiting since he came?

I'm not sure that is a fair question. Carmelo dominated the college basketball landscape for the year he played at Syracuse. If he stayed four years, he might have been the greatest player ever to play college basketball, who knows. GMac was never on a par with Carmelo, and never dominated college basketball. He was a very good player. If GMac would have dominated college basketball the way Carmelo did for his entire freshman year, that would be a completely different story

I'm not creating anything I'm pointing out the obvious that "player of the decade" does not necessarily mean best player...to each its own. Also we had a rough 5years after Melo left so how could he have "completely reinvigorated the program" I think that was JB he climbed the mountain in the 80's and he is doing it again now.

I would disagree. It took awhile for the benefits of Carmelo and 2003 to take hold, especially we had a relatively large class coming in (Roberts, Nichols and Watkins), which was a disappointment. After we won, we really did not have any schollies to offer. Yet, after that, our recruiting began to really take hold. Harris and Green ended up being a little disappointing...but they were top recruits. And then Flynn turned out to be a great recruit. We've had great classes ever since. Yes, JB had a tremendous amount to do it, but so did the 2003 season and Carmelo.

People forget about the shot selection. I agree with your post completely. A good player, not a transcendent one (except in popularity)

I'd love to hear your definition of a transcendent player.

Player of the Decade:

Hakeem Warrick - Lets not forget he was a two time first team All-American (something Carmelo never was), Big East Player of the Year (something Carmelo never was), as well as a champion. I cant believe more people have not mentioned him. I really dont think there is a close second for this award.

1st Team of the Decade:

Carmelo Anthony -Points off for only playing one year, but plenty of points for the quality of that one year.

Andy Rautins - Played all four years. Had 3 very good years. His last year was a special one, in my opinion. Averaged something like 13 5 5 and 2 steals. Did everything, and was as good a zone defender as Syracuse has ever had. Plus he is one of the very few players I'd want to see come back as a coach which is about the highest compliment you can pay a player.

Gerry McNamara - Frustratingly inconsistent, but his highs top any other player in SU history. Actually did come back as a coach, to my surprise.

Arinze Onuaku - Bad free throw shooting had him really under-rated for a while, but everyone saw how much we missed him when he was out. The most unstoppable low post scorer Syracuse has ever had.

Scoop Jardine - Was the point guard for two 1 seeds. Last year he formed 1/3 of the best back court in the country. Massively under-rated and another player I'd love to see come back as a coach some day.

Honorable Mention:

Dion Waiters - In my opinion he was the best guard in the country last year, and I haven't thought that about a Syracuse player since Sherman Douglas. I thought long and hard about including him on the 1st team but declined because he only gave one really good season compared to the 3 seasons we got from everybody but Carmelo on the 1st team.

Wes Johnson - Only a one year player, but he was a real difference maker in that one year.

Eric Devendorf - If he stayed for his final year of eligibility he may have been Syracuse's all time leading scorer and would have had to been included on the 1st team. I always thought his reputation for being a terrible defender was over-blown. He was never a great defender, but the truth is more teams picked on Flynn than Devendorf simply because Flynn was so short.

Jonny Flynn - I debated not including him because in my opinion he really only gave have a year of top quality play before leaving early, but I have to give due respect to a guy who was picked 6 in the draft.

Demetrius Nichols - Only had one really great year in his career, but what a year is was. He lead the Big East in scoring and shot the lights out. Was a solid contributor as a junior as well.

I decided to pick a player of the decade based on impact on the team, winning meaningful games and impact in the Syracuse community, and years of service. The award goes to Gmac.

There is only one choice.

The best player on our 2003 national title team was Carmelo Anthony.
The MOP of the Final Four was Carmelo Anthony.
The state-of-the-art basketball center that helps us pull in the big time recruits and have the best trained athletes is named the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center
The best SU alum that HS recruits are huge fans of in the NBA that is a perennial all star and Olympian is Carmelo Anthony.

There is not a close second.

I would disagree. It took awhile for the benefits of Carmelo and 2003 to take hold, especially we had a relatively large class coming in (Roberts, Nichols and Watkins), which was a disappointment. After we won, we really did not have any schollies to offer. Yet, after that, our recruiting began to really take hold. Harris and Green ended up being a little disappointing...but they were top recruits. And then Flynn turned out to be a great recruit. We've had great classes ever since. Yes, JB had a tremendous amount to do it, but so did the 2003 season and Carmelo.
Recruiting picked up after Hop and Troy Weaver took over the recruiting from Bernie Fine. Troy recruited Melo and while Roberts, Nichols, and Watkins had disappointing careers they were all highly rated players. Elite programs win NCs and compete for NCs and it is never about one player it's about the program. The program didn't start on 4/7/03

Carmelo is by far #1 (NC title, crazy publicity for school, philanthropic beyond everyone's expectations)

GMAC is 2nd (great story, fan favorite, future SU HC after Hop, lives in Cuse, Driver's Village :eek:)

The next is anyone. Gotta give it to KJo or Warrick.

I know who JB would vote for. Do you realize what he did for JB? Huge monkey off back...once you win that title, you are basically put up on a pedestal for the rest of your coaching career and things get much less stressful (unless your assistant coach is diddling minors)...

I know who JB would vote for. Do you realize what he did for JB? Huge monkey off back...once you win that title, you are basically put up on a pedestal for the rest of your coaching career and things get much less stressful (unless your assistant coach is diddling minors)...

A sizable percentage of posters here would disagree with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom