Player of the last decade | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Player of the last decade

I don't believe there were red flags concerning Edelin and JWright as they were being recruited, but maybe my memory fails me here.

I think any time you're dealing with small numbers of recruits, there's always a chance of striking out in a given year (or two).
I might be mis-remembering about Billy Edelin, but Josh Wright had been arrested and, IIRC, convicted of numerous charges surrounding a home invasion while he was in high school

I might be mis-remembering about Billy Edelin, but Josh Wright had been arrested and, IIRC, convicted of numerous charges surrounding a home invasion while he was in high school
Josh wright worst player to ever play at syracuse.

Yes, you're right about JWright and the home invasion thing, but I'm not sure if he was ultimately convicted of anything.

Yeah it doesn't even matter really. One way or another we had a string of mediocre classes.

Agree 100%--doesn't really matter, 8 years later. Certainly not worth "arguing" over. :)

Nope not close wright was a top 50 recruit, one of the worst ever top 50 recruits.

Ah, if we're talking about high-level recruits, Wright takes it. For all-time worst scholarship player, though, he's got some competition. I mean, Wright was at least able to do things like make layups and, you know, run.

Ah, if we're talking about high-level recruits, Wright takes it. For all-time worst scholarship player, though, he's got some competition. I mean, Wright was at least able to do things like make layups and, you know, run.
The other guys were maybe they can contribute later on in their career type players, hit or miss and they struck out looking lol

But, how do you discount the greatest year in the program's history??? I was an SU fan before I went to the school and I could only dream of a national title especially after the disappointment of 1987. 2003 was the team of the decade, and Carmelo was the undisputed leader and best player on the them. I do not agree that one year does not qualify him. I would rather have one more year of Carmelo, than four years of any other player during the 2000's. To me, it is not not even a close call. I nearly cried at the top of the Superdome in April 2003 when Hakim blocked that shot, and will never forget what that win meant to me. And I know we win that title because of Carmelo playing one year at Syracuse. And from what I remember, JB said to Carmelo "thank you". That says it all.

I think there is an argument to made for "lasting impact", and although Carmelo delivered the elusive trophy, he didn't do it alone. And the championship didn't immediately return the program to its glory days, as we hoped. We only won 2 more games in the tournament over the next 5 years, I think, and landed in two NITs. We conceivably could have turned into Maryland. The most important player of the decade might have been Jonny Flynn, who really turned out to be the guy who returned us to the glory days.

I think you're mistaken about that. I think part of the reason we took him over a couple other kids in that class was because he had a more solid family background. That's what I recall from a couple sources, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom