Players skipping bowls | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Players skipping bowls

I’m not a fan. NBA players just sit out games for “rest” when they’re not even hurt.

Where does this end? Will superstar players who play some great games early in the season start packing it in in October if they feel the scouts have seen all they need to see?

I don’t know...sitting out games for fear of injury and being an athlete don’t really go together. I’m looking at all these guys sideways if I’m in a front office.

It already happened with Nick Bosa at Ohio State

Nick Bosa will not return to Ohio State after injury and instead focus on NFL draft

So if I'm in my last days of college and have a job lined up that is going to pay me millions per year, potentially more. But I have a teacher who wants me to do one last project that doesn't count towards my final grade and this project could put my landing the job at risk.

Geez, I wonder what I'm going to do. I feel so morally obligated to do that project so I don't let me teacher and classmates down...
I agree but ina way I don’t. That school just paid for free classes for u and trained u to be where u are now. I’m on the fence here because if it wasn’t for that school , u probably wouldn’t be at that point. Football is a team game. I don’t know. I would play. Take out an insurance policy. Something. I would feel like I quit on my teammates and that wasn’t how I played so. Tough decision.

I think where Ed Oliver gets drafted helps answer that question.

In general though, it’s fairly standard for coaches to take new jobs and for teams to have interm coaches for bowl games. That, to me, is an indicator of the difference between bowl games and regular season games. Bowls are stupid and mostly meaningless (beyond the significance of getting there) - and it’s clear even the schools and coaches feel that way too.

Why shouldn’t the players?

Excellent point I forgot about. Coaches take off for their new schools all the time before the bowl game but we criticize players who haven’t secured their new job yet from doing the same thing.

If this bothers the schools, I wonder if they'd try to re-write the scholarship language, saying it's dependent upon playing the full season, as health permits.

Might as well get a few nickels back in return.

It ends with Leveon Bell. Leaving his team hanging for an entire season for his own financial gain.
I get why the kids do it. But what i dont get is why NFL teams down at least somewhat downgrade them because of it.
They aren't hanging. They have Conner.

I mean, point is, he made a me decision and quit on his team. whether he is right or wrong, from a risk perspective, as a team owner, i want guys less likely to do that than more. Guys who quit on their teams here, justified or not, are not a good precedent
Umm, I don't believe he is under contract. Hard to say he quit if he and the team did not reach a mutually satisfactory contract.

I agree but ina way I don’t. That school just paid for free classes for u and trained u to be where u are now. I’m on the fence here because if it wasn’t for that school , u probably wouldn’t be at that point. Football is a team game. I don’t know. I would play. Take out an insurance policy. Something. I would feel like I quit on my teammates and that wasn’t how I played so. Tough decision.
It ain't free. It costs time and an incredible amount of damage to your body. The school also reaped millions based, in part, on your performance.
For the most part, the big schools aren't there to educate the kids: they are there to keep them eligible.

It ain't free. It costs time and an incredible amount of damage to your body. The school also reaped millions based, in part, on your performance.
For the most part, the big schools aren't there to educate the kids: they are there to keep them eligible.
Yeah true. As I said it’s a tough call. Also though if ur any good should have a in’s. Policy on u either way.

I'm always surprised when players from HS play in those exhibitions/all star games. If I have a scholarship, I ain't playing in one of those.

I don't blame the players for a second. For most, this is why they even went to college.

Mixed feelings about this. You play all year risking injury, then you flake in the last game? Then again, have a career ending injury in a practically meaningless game and missing out on a dream and millions gives them all the reason to skip these games.

Agree. Now, if your team is in the playoff and in the hunt for a national championship, I think a player might receive more fuss about it. However, as you alluded to, these bowls games are relatively meaningless.

Is it just me or does anyone else say ridiculous things to FreakTalksAboutSU just so you can look at his avatar and be like 'speechless, I know...'

Power 5 football is a major unto itself with all it’s time demands.

Sure they can. But it's expensive. And they'd have to pay for it themselves.

The kids who end up skipping bowls, should have insurance. The insurance is offered through partnerships with the ncaa along with loans to cover the cost of premium. Here is some info for you, if you are interested:

Student-Athlete Insurance Programs

I guess there is a potential a kid blew up during the season and therefore may not have purchased insurance. However, from my recollection, most of the kids who skip bowls in the past have been bigger name players.

If this bothers the schools, I wonder if they'd try to re-write the scholarship language, saying it's dependent upon playing the full season, as health permits.

Might as well get a few nickels back in return.

I suspect that’s a terrible idea. If you start adding a monetary component to scholarship offers, it probably undermines schools ability to keep players from successfully demanding to be paid (and winning some form of that in court).

Schools can’t afford to add a monetary stipulation to scholarships out of fear where it would end up - they would lose a lot more than they would gain by a wide margin.

I suspect that’s a terrible idea. If you start adding a monetary component to scholarship offers, it probably undermines schools ability to keep players from successfully demanding to be paid (and winning some form of that in court).

Schools can’t afford to add a monetary stipulation to scholarships out of fear where it would end up - they would lose a lot more than they would gain by a wide margin.

Couldn’t be an individual school decision anyway. The schools would have to lobby the NCAA to regulate the rule.

It’s something to watch though, especially if it causes a school to get bumped down in bowl selection because of it.

Playoffs are great but little by little, everything else is becoming the NIT.

Couldn’t be an individual school decision anyway. The schools would have to lobby the NCAA to regulate the rule.

It’s something to watch though, especially if it causes a school to get bumped down in bowl selection because of it.

Playoffs are great but little by little, everything else is becoming the NIT.
Your comment about the NIT is dead on.

I don’t begrudge any player for sitting out. However, at some point CFB will have to address this when you have players sitting out NY6 games, let alone other bowl games. This year we had two of the best defensive players just stop playing halfway through the season.

It does feel completely pointless unless you’re in the CFP and, to a lower extent, NY6.

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t be at all as excited about playing WVU without Will Grier. Would just feel like a scrimmage.

Umm, I don't believe he is under contract. Hard to say he quit if he and the team did not reach a mutually satisfactory contract.

Why are we arguing this? Ok fine, I'm wrong, the owners loved this and will definitely draft players that they think are more likely to do it

Culture changes. There was a time when it was a wildly successful year if a Big Ten team won the Rose Bowl; it hasn’t been that way for at least 20 years. The college football playoff isn’t creating that reality - it was only created as a response to a culture where only being #1 matters.

So yes - the bowls are increasingly pointless. There is nothing that is going to stop or even significantly slow that from becoming increasingly true.

Ddin’t Christian McCaffrey miss a bowl? I’d take him 6x to Sunday

Yeah and if there were two comparable players there I'd probably take the one less likely to sit out game 16 of a contract year to avoid injury. That's all I am saying

Nevermind. I am wrong. They would definitely take the guy more likely to sit out.

Sure they can. But it's expensive. And they'd have to pay for it themselves.
And I think it only pays if you can't play your sport again, not if you lose draft status.