PLEASE! No Storming the Court | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PLEASE! No Storming the Court

Marsh01 will be storming the court. Not in celebration, but rather spearing the male cheerleader that leads the "Lets. Go. S. U." chant. I will be joining him.

Explain to me how people running onto a basketball court affects any of you personally?

It won't happen, but I never get the issue with it. Silly.

Explain to me how the outcome of a basketball game between a bunch of teenagers that you have never met in your life affects you personally.

Explain to me how the outcome of a basketball game between a bunch of teenagers that you have never met in your life affects you personally.

It doesn't. Which is why I'm not sitting here saying that if we lose, I am going to lose respect for the institution of Syracuse. And I've met Keita, who is no longer a teenager, so your argument is invalid. Nice try.

My opinion on court-storming is that if you are debating/deciding well-beforehand as to whether to storm or not, you don't understand court-storming. It has to be an impulsive act driven by the emotions of the situation. I stormed 2x in my life: the '87 football win over PSU and the WVU game the same season - my freshman year. Those were different situations than we're talking about here. We hadn't beaten PSU in football in decades and the WVU game was a pure adrenaline rush due to the back and forth finish to go undefeated. Had the WVU game been decided earlier, we may not have stormed.

Our hoops program is in a different position. Right now, we should expect to win every home game. That said, if tomorrow's game is a complete gut-wrencher that we pull out in the final seconds and the students want to release, in the end I won't be too upset about it, although it will be a little embarrassing to those of us who have witnessed so much success.

As long as no one gets hurt, it really matters very little.

It doesn't? You are posting on a message board devoted to Syracuse basketball! You may not lose respect for Syracuse, but you will probably be sad, right? I would say that is affecting you personally.

Not trying to cause trouble, just pointing out a logical inconsistency. It may be true that people get waaaay to bent out of shape regarding court stormings (I agree with this.) But the argument that "random" people doing random things cannot affect you at all is a little silly.

Last time I checked we were ranked #2 and they are #17 (with a bullet). We are supposed to win, at home especially. I would lose respect for the institution if the student body saw fit to storm the court as well.

LOL "for the institution"? I hope US News and World Report doesn't drop us in the rankings as a result of it.

You might want to rethink that. No one can control a crowd of that magnitude. What happens when the people in the rear don't realize the people in the front have stopped and turned around? Better idea: stay in your seats and cheer your arses off. But stay in your seats.

Cowtown- please note the part of my post that said that I was kidding. I realize that this could not happen in reality. Just trying to have some fun.

I'm sure many of us have been in an out-of-control crowd to one degree or another. It's not pleasant, and certainly potentially quite dangerous.

My relatively mild experience was at the Springsteen show at Laker Hall in Oswego in Dec 75.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1975/laker-hall-gym-oswego-ny-6bd01616.html
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1975/laker-hall-gym-oswego-ny-6bd01616.html
It was general admission seating, so we got there early and were probably among the first 100 people, but had to wait outside for the doors to open.. That was worth it as we sat in the 5th row center. Fantastic, long, high-energy show.

The downside was waiting for the doors to open. Inevitably, more and more people showed up, and soon it got VERY crowded up front. Well, some in the back, not realizing the consequences of their actions, started to push the crowd toward the doors. In the front, we were trapped in an alcove, surrounded by the doors in front, probably 20 feet of brick walls on the sides, and the mob in back. It was the only time in my life I was trapped like that. People in the front were getting squashed, and I actually had trouble breathing or even moving my arms. We could not move or hold our ground. People were absolutely freaking out, screaming, and not just the girls.

Not saying anything like that could happen in a court storming, but if somebody fell and 10,000 people or so decided to get to the court, it could get ugly, like a Black Friday at Walmart, only many times larger.

I'm all for court storming, but if you're ranked significantly higher than the other team? Bush league. And no my view of the school will not actually change. It's called being dramatic for affect, its often used - like hyperbole - to emphasize a point. In this case that we are ranked #2 in the country and undefeated right now.

This is different. This is a signature game in our history The 2 coaches have only met twice in over 30 years at their respective schools and are the 2 winningest coaches of all time. If we win this game, we will likely gain the #1 seed in the east and have a grip on the acc in our first year. This game is huge, so much gameday hype and the dome will be drunk and crazy and even a bit dangerous. When we get a weekend night game of this magnitude , this is when the dome is at its best.

I'm sure many of us have been in an out-of-control crowd to one degree or another. It's not pleasant, and certainly potentially quite dangerous.

My relatively mild experience was at the Springsteen show at Laker Hall in Oswego in Dec 75.
It was general admission seating, so we got there early and were probably among the first 100 people, but had to wait outside for the doors to open.. That was worth it as we sat in the 5th row center. Fantastic, long, high-energy show.

The downside was waiting for the doors to open. Inevitably, more and more people showed up, and soon it got VERY crowded up front. Well, some in the back, not realizing the consequences of their actions, started to push the crowd toward the doors. In the front, we were trapped in an alcove, surrounded by the doors in front, probably 20 feet of brick walls on the sides, and the mob in back. It was the only time in my life I was trapped like that. People in the front were getting squashed, and I actually had trouble breathing or even moving my arms. We could not move or hold our ground. People were absolutely freaking out, screaming, and not just the girls.

Not saying anything like that could happen in a court storming, but if somebody fell and 10,000 people or so decided to get to the court, it could get ugly, like a Black Friday at Walmart, only many times larger.

Amazing that there is video of that show - thanks for the link!!

This game has been so hyped, you would be a dick to NOT storm the court if we won.

I hope the Dookies don't like us for that, that's the whole point of doing anything on Saturday is to piss them off.

They may think of Carolina as their rivals now, but let them face the loud house and come away with a loss and we can start to change that for them. New sheriff on town.

Everyone will calmly leave when we are up 12 with 4 minutes to go in order to beat the traffic back to Manlius.

I think that'd be too late!

but let me get this straight... Because the students got to storm the court 30 years ago, current students cannot?

Not sure what you are suggesting...just because they got to storm the court 30 years ago, then it means it's OK now?

As far as not storming because of rankings, I don't think they mean a thing. This is quite arguably the defining game of SU's inaugural year in the ACC (at least, until @Duke) so it transcends the numerical rankings. But as I've said before, I'm ag'in storming. They look like European soccer riots to me.

This is why no one considers SU elite. Duke fans would NEVER and have NEVER storm the court because they know they are elite. SU will always be little brother to Duke. Would love it if SU could ever get to that level that everyone wants to beat.

This is different. This is a signature game in our history The 2 coaches have only met twice in over 30 years at their respective schools and are the 2 winningest coaches of all time. If we win this game, we will likely gain the #1 seed in the east and have a grip on the acc in our first year. This game is huge, so much gameday hype and the dome will be drunk and crazy and even a bit dangerous. When we get a weekend night game of this magnitude , this is when the dome is at its best.

Not to get off topic, but the game will not nearly be as conclusive as you're saying. Winning will give us a nice cushion at the top of the ACC, but with the remainder of our schedule - we are going to need every bit of that pad to ensure winning the ACC and getting the 1 seed.

How about dive bombing from the 3rd level?

This is why no one considers SU elite. Duke fans would NEVER and have NEVER storm the court because they know they are elite. SU will always be little brother to Duke. Would love it if SU could ever get to that level that everyone wants to beat.

Boulderdash. Syracuse is not "at that level that everyone wants to beat"?? Come on. We are the biggest game on the schedule for 99% of teams we play and we get stormed almost every time we lose a road game (which is rare lately, btw).

Put me in the "don't storm" camp.
I get that students should have fun because who cares, it's college. There's plenty of time to be stupid with your friends in the dorms, the cafeteria, frat parties, out on the town. You can regret not doing certain stuff in college. But are you really going to look back 20yrs later and say "damn I wish I'd lived a little & rushed the court"? It's not fun unless it's spontaneous like the '87 WVU game someone mentioned - it's just something people do now because they see others do it.
JMO. I do agree that the Court Storming police has gotten as annoying as the court storming itself, so whatever.

I don't care what the reaction is, as long as we win

It's a dictionary "jinx thread" if I've ever seen.

Only if you let it get to you. My own feeling is that's a bridge I'll cross when I -- hopefully -- come to it. And even if we beat Duke tomorrow we'll have to do it again and maybe again and maybe again before the season is over with.

Good point. We lost 1st place votes in the AP poll last week based on speculation that we were going to storm the court.

Cowtown- please note the part of my post that said that I was kidding. I realize that this could not happen in reality. Just trying to have some fun.

No sweat, you can't always tell with these forum things, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom