Poor Malachi. | Syracusefan.com

Poor Malachi.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
How bad is it to get drafted by one of the worst teams, get injured and then find out your team trades your best player for someone who plays your position. Hopefully it works out for him.

He's done better than I thought he would this season.

Wow, shocked they traded Cousins.

Lopsided DeMarcus Cousins deal proves Kings are worst franchise in sports | FOX Sports
That was a weird trade. Surprised Kings didn't get a better package than that. But they are the Kings! The Kings now have like 6 guys whose best position is probably 2G. Afflalo, McLemore, Heild, Richardson, Tyreke Evans and Temple. I have to think they shop Afflalo and Mclemore pretty heavily. Evans could prob play some SF. The Pels are overloaded the other way. No have Davis, Cousins, Asik, Ajinca, Ter Jones, and the recently signed D Montejunis. Both teams now have clogs to be cleared up.

That was a weird trade. Surprised Kings didn't get a better package than that. But they are the Kings! The Kings now have like 6 guys whose best position is probably 2G. Afflalo, McLemore, Heild, Richardson, Tyreke Evans and Temple. I have to think they shop Afflalo and Mclemore pretty heavily. Evans could prob play some SF. The Pels are overloaded the other way. No have Davis, Cousins, Asik, Ajinca, Ter Jones, and the recently signed D Montejunis. Both teams now have clogs to be cleared up.
By the way, having seen Heild, I think Malachi has a better upside. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

How bad is it to get drafted by one of the worst teams, get injured and then find out your team trades your best player for someone who plays your position. Hopefully it works out for him.

giphy.gif

Even a bad organization wouldn't trade a guy with talent like that unless they were pretty sure about something.

By the way, having seen Heild, I think Malachi has a better upside. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The Ringer posted an article earlier in which they said Vivek views Heild as a Steph Curry like talent.

I was going through Instagram comments not long ago and a Cuse fan commented on a picture saying he should have stayed at Cuse. Mali responded with something along the lines of "doesn't matter on the 1st and 15th every month".

Though he's wishing he's playing, he probably doesn't care TOO much because he's still getting that paycheck.

Edit: I found the quote. It goes like this

Follower: Orange could use u...it's okay though your having fun in the d league

Mali: why thank you, I'll keep that in mind on the 1st and 15th of every month

Last edited:
He's young. If it was meant to be, then it'll happen.

simmons did a whole thing on the Ringer Podcast about how there really weren't any other deals worth taking. I wonder if they could have got someone like McCollum from Portland.

I was going through Instagram comments not long ago and a Cuse fan commented on a picture saying he should have stayed at Cuse. Mali responded with something along the lines of "doesn't matter on the 1st and 15th every month".

Though he's wishing he's playing, he probably doesn't care TOO much because he's still getting that paycheck.

LOL - love it

For sure. $110k a month just doesn't go as far as it used to... :p
Sure doesn't when your prime money making years are limited to 10-15 years max.

On average he should live another 30+ years after.

what does 600K after taxes get you to live on where wants to be.. and if doesnt get a 2nd contract he ends up with some money in the bank, no degree and no job.

he needs to spend it wisely.

what does 600K after taxes get you to live on where wants to be.. and if doesnt get a 2nd contract he ends up with some money in the bank, no degree and no job.

he needs to spend it wisely.

Without the second contract he goes to Europe and still makes amazing money, after 10 or so years he has plenty to go back to school for three more years or gets into coaching and has a degree.

The mentality that these guys are screwed without a second contract is beyond me. Worst case scenario for these kids is they got an amazing head start in life. Can't believe it's difficult for a SU player to have a degree and not get a pretty great job through the alumni network.

There were 135 players with D League experience on opening rosters this year and 10 first rounders from 2015 spent time there. To go along with his recent injury, I'm guessing this isn't exactly what Malachi envisioned for this year. But his career isn't over just because he spent time in the D League this year.

Took a peak at the Google machine, average Euro salary starts off at 100K a year. So even if it's 3x that much, it's not much. China looks to be much better.

Sure doesn't when your prime money making years are limited to 10-15 years max.

On average he should live another 30+ years after.

That's why a large portion of these guys end up filing for bankruptcy protection.

Without the second contract he goes to Europe and still makes amazing money, after 10 or so years he has plenty to go back to school for three more years or gets into coaching and has a degree.

The mentality that these guys are screwed without a second contract is beyond me. Worst case scenario for these kids is they got an amazing head start in life. Can't believe it's difficult for a SU player to have a degree and not get a pretty great job through the alumni network.

It really is unbelievable how people try to pretend like if you leave early to go to the NBA there's this force field that prevents any money from ever entering your bank account again after you stop playing in the league.

And also interesting that everyone assumes all of our players will without a doubt waste all of their money and be reckless - or even care what these guys do with the money they worked their entire lives for to earn in the first place.

It really is unbelievable how people try to pretend like if you leave early to go to the NBA there's this force field that prevents any money from ever entering your bank account again after you stop playing in the league.

And also interesting that everyone assumes all of our players will without a doubt waste all of their money and be reckless - or even care what these guys do with the money they worked their entire lives for to earn in the first place.

Like how MCW had his mother take all of his contract money and she gave him an allowance. Not every athlete is reckless but it's more fun to think that way for the crazed fan

You highly overrate the SU alumni network.

These new acquisitions should force him to develop his game more to where he becomes a viable asset and show he has staying power even if it is as a role player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom