Portal Overload | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Overload

My only gripe is the redshirt extra year was so important for these kids actually graduating and getting degrees.
The ones who applied themselves are getting their degrees in 3 1/2 years. That's what making the grad transfer market so big.

This isn't as damning as you think it is. According to my records, Syracuse had the following number of guys with eligibility leave the team in the off-season (whether it be transfer, DQ, or other reasons). This count includes walk-ons:

After 2016: 17
After 2017: 16
After 2018: 13
After 2019: 22

You should take out the walk-ons. They don't count toward the scholarship limit, and many will never see the field. It's no big surprise when many of them quit football, because of, y'know, COLLEGE.

Tha
You should take out the walk-ons. They don't count toward the scholarship limit, and many will never see the field. It's no big surprise when many of them quit football, because of, y'know, COLLEGE.
You’re missing the point. (There are walk-ons in the portal.)

There’s always been this much movement in the off-season, but most people have never seen it quantified before, and that’s prompting hand-wringing and the wrong conclusions.

A lot of these guys would be smart and have some fun if they'd just realize their pro dreams ain't gonna happen, and took their thus-far-free educations and transferred to a public Division 2 or 3 place where they'd presumably get a ton of playing time and have an opportunity to just play ball and be have fun in college, rather than be dedicated cannon fodder in a big time program. I knew a few kids that left D1 schools when they realized they wouldn't see the field and they had great careers- and a great time- at smaller colleges.

I’m starting to get concerned that the staff is aggressively trying to get players from the portal but the players do not want to come to su. That to me would indicate that the coaches are no longer able to sell the program which would be a huge problem. I hope I’m wrong and quality players still want to come. I will wait and see how it turns out.

I’m starting to get concerned that the staff is aggressively trying to get players from the portal but the players do not want to come to su. That to me would indicate that the coaches are no longer able to sell the program which would be a huge problem. I hope I’m wrong and quality players still want to come. I will wait and see how it turns out.
You're wrong.

I wouldn't
Hope you feel the same way next season. Remember Bleech was a starter and then became a backup. From everything I read people on the board feel he will be a major part of the line and a difference maker. Just because you are a backup on an sec team does not mean you would not be an immediate upgrade from our current OL players.

You're wrong.
Just for clarification. I’m I wrong that the staff is aggressively hitting the portal or that the staff cannot convince quality players to come to su.

wrong.

and Bleich lost his starting spot because of an injury

Not according to this article.

Not only is that article written from the Florida perspective and slandering Bleich by saying he couldn't handle the pressure of playing in the SEC, it clearly says, : "Bleich, who did not play Oct. 19 at South Carolina due to blisters on his foot, "

he was benched the next time he played and it was long documented he was struggling to play through injuries.

I’m starting to get concerned that people are drawing sweeping conclusions based on partial information.

The truth is - yeah - some players won’t want to come here for 1000 different reasons. And yes, it’s a harder sell than some teams. That’s how recruiting works and is no different for ever team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom