Positive spin on Amba not getting drafted | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Positive spin on Amba not getting drafted

Very true and unfortunately, if ED does stay healthy and is considered a prospect in a few years, will he be considered a system guy as AET must have been? BC , honestly if AET with his Stats, and speed playing that ACC schedule, doesn't get a look? Thats scary. I am not an NFL scout but i am sorry, film should matter for more! Its rediculous, there were players that ran 4.6s from smaller schools that got drafted. Sorry, hey scouts, nothing beats game film, the underwear Olympics dont mean much, i dont care how many drops he had. Practice doesn't translate to game action. It just doesn't. Btw, the entire Bills staff was fired today, including the scouting department, bye.

NFL scouts miss on players every year. But, your characterization as to how they form their projections is off. ET's invite to the combine alone meant that his game film was going to be analyzed and dissected.

Like I said before stats get your attention than your talent is evaluated . At Qb it's more about skill set than stats . Look at Trubiski he has NFL traits most college Qb's don't that's why he was the first Qb taken . Vince young , Tebow etc didbt have those traits

NFL scouts miss on players every year. But, your characterization as to how they form their projections is off. ET's invite to the combine alone meant that his game film was going to be analyzed and dissected.

upload_2017-4-30_19-6-58.jpg

Recognize anyone in this shot? Amba Etta-Tawo* is going to play for two SU grads, one a HC longer than the other.

They, (Nathaniel Hackett, OC and Doug Marrone, HC), are going to run a version of the Air Coryell offense. In American football, Air Coryell is the offensive scheme and philosophy developed by former San Diego Chargers coach Don Coryell. The offensive philosophy has been also called the "Coryell offense" or the "vertical offense".

With Dan Fouts as quarterback, the San Diego Chargers' offense was among the greatest passing offenses in National Football League history. The Chargers led the league in passing yards an NFL record six consecutive years from 1978 to 1983[1] and again in 1985. They also led the league in total yards in offense 1978–83 and 1985. Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, and Kellen Winslow would all be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame from those Charger teams.

The NFL scouts definitely missed. So, this is a good thing – a great passing offense awaits. It may take him a few years to become a starter or he may start year one but this is good news. Of course Leonard Fournette isn’t there to catch passes so it may be an offense with a lean toward the ground game depending on how effective Fournette is. Overall I think Amba shouold be pleasaed – what do you think?

*If he makes the active roster!

View attachment 95660

Recognize anyone in this shot? Amba Etta-Tawo* is going to play for two SU grads, one a HC longer than the other.

They, (Nathaniel Hackett, OC and Doug Marrone, HC), are going to run a version of the Air Coryell offense. In American football, Air Coryell is the offensive scheme and philosophy developed by former San Diego Chargers coach Don Coryell. The offensive philosophy has been also called the "Coryell offense" or the "vertical offense".

With Dan Fouts as quarterback, the San Diego Chargers' offense was among the greatest passing offenses in National Football League history. The Chargers led the league in passing yards an NFL record six consecutive years from 1978 to 1983[1] and again in 1985. They also led the league in total yards in offense 1978–83 and 1985. Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, and Kellen Winslow would all be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame from those Charger teams.

The NFL scouts definitely missed. So, this is a good thing – a great passing offense awaits. It may take him a few years to become a starter or he may start year one but this is good news. Of course Leonard Fournette isn’t there to catch passes so it may be an offense with a lean toward the ground game depending on how effective Fournette is. Overall I think Amba shouold be pleasaed – what do you think?

*If he makes the active roster!
You know what else that offense is going to do a lot?

Punt

giphy.gif

Umm, as opposed to everyone else acting as a fortune teller. LOL.

He was a great player at SU and I loved watching him. Is there something wrong with predicting he might not be an NFL player? Guess there's no room for criticism on this board, except it has a history of overvaluing almost every, single, player trying to get drafted.

I'm never on the BB board, I don't even read anything posted over there except 1-2 a year. But how many SU players are currently playing in the NBA?

There's nothing wrong with thinking a player doesn't have the skills and might not make it. But I have a really hard time seeing that with Etta-Tawo. He's got good size. He's got very good speed. He goes up and gets the ball in traffic, and he is a legit deep threat. He played against elite competition and he very much thrived even though he was the guy other teams game planned to stop. So, he dropped some balls at the combine. He had a broken finger.

I've also seen it written that he doesn't run great routes. When offenses are built on pin point accuracy and timing, you better run your route correctly or else. Combined with some of the other things i.e. only productive in system offense, drops, etc it's not that hard to see why he didn't get selected. It's one of those lots of reasons to draft him and lots of reasons not to.

with any luck and Team TC/doogie ignoring 4 years of Maryland for a Syracuse nod, maybe he'll make the taxi squad.

Like I said before stats get your attention than your talent is evaluated . At Qb it's more about skill set than stats . Look at Trubiski he has NFL traits most college Qb's don't that's why he was the first Qb taken . Vince young , Tebow etc didbt have those traits

Vince Young was the #1 QB taken in the 2006 draft. Number 3 overall.

If you look at this from an NFL GM's perspective, you have a one year wonder WR playing in a system that inflates numbers who also had a poor showing at the Senior bowl and the combine in terms of dropped balls. I am aware of the finger injury. Apparently, that did not outweigh the lack of production at Maryland, the tape (he did have an issue with drops, despite the overwhelming productivity), and his post season performances.

I don't find it surprising at all that ET was not drafted.

Two other larger points to consider as we move forward:
1. Babers' offense can produce very impressive numbers with average talent (this is great news given the state of the program).
2. Get used to the performance of SU players being considered "inflated" when it comes to scouting and the NFL draft. Dungey will likely obliterate the SU record books and it won't matter much at all relative to his performance at the combine.

I take a slightly different tact. The numbers might be inflated, but they are getting the attention of scouts. He wasn't invited to the combine because he was tall and played sparingly at Maryland.

If your'e a WR and want to be on the map, this system will do that.

I've also seen it written that he doesn't run great routes. When offenses are built on pin point accuracy and timing, you better run your route correctly or else. Combined with some of the other things i.e. only productive in system offense, drops, etc it's not that hard to see why he didn't get selected. It's one of those lots of reasons to draft him and lots of reasons not to.

The Baylor kid got dinged for the same thing. I think the NFL needs to grow up on this. You hear former GM's and scouts say "he's a system guy" like it's a catch all excuse where they are absolving themselves from coaching. If a guy catches a billion balls, most of them over a defender or behind one - he's got the raw skills. Teach him to run your routes.

I saw a lot of slower, shorter guys who run good routes get taken late.

I'm never on the BB board, I don't even read anything posted over there except 1-2 a year. But how many SU players are currently playing in the NBA?
I thought I was the only one

Vince Young was the #1 QB taken in the 2006 draft. Number 3 overall.
but he wasn't pro material , these running qbs rarely pan out. why do you ask ??? mainly they have no feet , footwork to get into a proper throwing base/ stance is everything , just because a qb is athletic it has nothing to do with pocket feet. most cant fix it as there muscle memory is to far ingrained . these running qb's have no pocket feet and that makes them in accurate and couple that with there run driven "eyes" you have a NFL qb with potential that rarely gets developed . To be an NFL qb you need elite arm strength, pocket feet, accuracy and size. most coaches have big egos and think they can fix any qb , well they are mostly wrong, most qb coaches cant teach because they cant demonstrate , visual demonstration is key , most qb coaches just come up with drills and can point out flaws but again cant demonstrate and if they ca the pupils muscle memory cant let him make the changes necessary. Ie Tebow, Young, Russell, . Dak Prescott a great job at becoming a pro kudos to him, far and few between

The Baylor kid got dinged for the same thing. I think the NFL needs to grow up on this. You hear former GM's and scouts say "he's a system guy" like it's a catch all excuse where they are absolving themselves from coaching. If a guy catches a billion balls, most of them over a defender or behind one - he's got the raw skills. Teach him to run your routes.

I saw a lot of slower, shorter guys who run good routes get taken late.

Watched Jags/Pats preseason game. Didn't see Etta-Tao until 10 minutes left in the 4th...Mostly run plays. Bahh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom