Post-Standard layoffs | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Post-Standard layoffs

Interesting that there really isn't a football story, outside of Morning Orange, in the paper this morning.

The Times-Picayune in New Orleans switched to 3 days a week today and PennLive also having layoffs today. All owned by Advance Digital so i'm assuming it's the same for all their media holdings:

al.com
cleveland.com
gulflive.com
lehighvalleylive.com
MassLive.com
MLive.com
NJ.com
NOLA.com
OregonLive.com
PennLive.com
SILive.com
syracuse.com

They operate the website- do they also own the newspaper?
http://advancedigital.com/

That blows. Dave is such an asset and will be a huge loss. I have no attachment to PS after Dave is gone. Something could come in and fill the void and I would never need to go back. I would have paid for digital content to get the sports stories Dave wrote in both FB and lax.

That blows. Dave is such an asset and will be a huge loss. I have no attachment to PS after Dave is gone. Something could come in and fill the void and I would never need to go back. I would have paid for digital content to get the sports stories Dave wrote in both FB and lax.

Where will you get your Syracuse football news? There is no other outlet.

Where will you get your Syracuse football news? There is no other outlet.

This site. Ever since Nolan started on the beat, this place has given me 90% of my SU football news.

Odd that they'd let Rahme go. They must think he's too expensive to keep. Darn shame. Syracuse is now a city without a daily newspaper.

They operate the website- do they also own the newspaper?
http://advancedigital.com/

Syracuse.com features stories and photos from The Post-Standard. Syracuse.com is managed and operated separately from The Post-Standard. Both companies are owned by Advance Publications Inc.

Advance Digital must be their web management arm. Can check out the info on Advance.net.

I like how there is no mention of Dick Case being let go in the paper today, especially considering he has his normal article on page 2.

Terrible news on Rhame especially on the lax front. His Monday articles were always worth reading.

Just heard, bad news for both Rahme and Weidner.
ugh:(

I wonder if he will reapply for his old job at less money? Let's get those ad blockers turned off and raise some money to hire him. Fire up the pay forum!!!

losing dick and sean is like losing the soul of the city and the tie in to the past and present and much of the good news rather than the depressing bad all the time.for sports they can get rid of all except david. no need to read syr.com anymore for me

This site. Ever since Nolan started on the beat, this place has given me 90% of my SU football news.

Odd that they'd let Rahme go. They must think he's too expensive to keep. Darn shame. Syracuse is now a city without a daily newspaper.

Good luck with that. This site isn't giving news from practice, from the coach, anything, really, outside of recruiting news and what people hear.

cant believe rahme. he is 1 of the best sports guys i have ever read.

very analytic, very smart, relevant info. He and Waters were must stays IMO. this pisses me off.

and i swear on my life, if bud isnt given an early retirement and rahme is shown the door - i for 1 will not go onto syracuse.com until poliquin is gone.

Not a threat, just a promise.
bud is a jerry izenberg wannabe and never was --poor writer

losing dick and sean is like losing the soul of the city and the tie in to the past and present and much of the good news rather than the depressing bad all the time.for sports they can get rid of all except david. no need to read syr.com anymore for me
Kirst is gone too? I hadn't seen that, jezzum.

Dave Rahme was incredible in his coverage on SU football. This is an utter shame. SU should hire him to simply continuing putting out alot of information and news on the team. If they are trying to interest the locals, cutting off their team news supply isn't going to help.

Dave - I know you are on this site with the chats, best of luck to you and thank you very much for being amazing with your football coverage. Hopefully, you can continue to stick around in the area. We need someone like you for this team.

bud is a jerry izenberg wannabe and never was --poor writer

That's one thing you can't call Bud.

He's colorful, he's often too negative, he writes about nothing, and he's constantly recycling the same few themes. But he's a stronger writer than just about anyone who's worked for that paper in the past fifteen years.

You mentioned Kirst - did he get laid off too, or was that just speculation? That'd be very disappointing. The Post-Standard has long been weak in terms of columns, but he's all they've got.

He's colorful, he's often too negative, he writes about nothing, and he's constantly recycling the same few themes. But he's a stronger writer than just about anyone who's worked for that paper in the past fifteen years.

You mentioned Kirst - did he get laid off too, or was that just speculation? That'd be very disappointing. The Post-Standard has long been weak in terms of columns, but he's all they've got.

did you just call bud a whiz-bang writer?

suspend yourself for 1 day.

Good thing the National Championship in basketball is played on a Monday night. Otherwise there wouldn't be a paper to hold up following the game. I say this because the Post-Standard will publish on Tuesdays.

Hold on to your keepsake papers. There won't be many more in the future.

Hoping Sean Kirst, Donna Ditota etc are still there at the end of the day. Very sad. It's scary to think that some of the PS guys who were kind enough to host question/answer chats on this board could be gone.

I really enjoy reading the local news in newspaper form but I'm not surprised that the internet version has hastened it's demise. Some of the recent bloggers who they have reporting the news on Syracuse.com have been brutal with basic grammar mistakes etc. Feel so badly for these people and their families in these tough times.

Unfortunately, the internet version lacks the depth of stories in the paper version. I don't see how you can expect people to subscribe to a "newspaper" on a 3 day a week basis.

i guess i am used to a guy like izenberg,buds analogies appear sophamoric at best and attempts at intellectual commentary seems shallow--to each his own

Michael Benny@MichaelBenny
Longtime #Syracuse Post Standard columnist Dick Case among those let go. One worker says 110 total layoffs at the paper.

He always came across as an ultra-conservative, bitter senior citizen complaining about any and every progressive issue, pandering to the prime demographic that still reads newspapers -- senior citizens who yearn for the glory days of Allied Chemical and Dey Brothers.

He always came across as an anti-progressive, bitter senior citizen pandering to the demographic that reads newspapers -- anti-progressive senior citizens.

I have to agree with that. And he was really clumsy with facts. Sorry to see him lose a job, glad he's been at his craft for a long time. Thought his work could've been stronger.

I heard last night that Sean Kirst was retained. Did I hear wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom