Post-Standard layoffs | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Post-Standard layoffs

He always came across as an anti-progressive, bitter senior citizen pandering to the demographic that reads newspapers -- anti-progressive senior citizens.
I hope Donnie Webb survived.A great guy . Loved his articles.on football.;)

i guess i am used to a guy like izenberg,buds analogies appear sophamoric at best and attempts at intellectual commentary seems shallow--to each his own

Don't disagree, but I'm specifically talking about him as a writer, not a thinker.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football. I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r

losing dick and sean is like losing the soul of the city and the tie in to the past and present and much of the good news rather than the depressing bad all the time.for sports they can get rid of all except david. no need to read syr.com anymore for me

I've never read enough Dick Case stuff to get attached to his articles, but Sean Kirst is a guy whose stuff I always read. Both of them could probably start their own blogs and get people to pay to advertise on their sites.

Dave - thanks for posting, sorry to hear the news. Best of luck in the future and best wishes on your difficult decision ahead.

Maybe if you're bored on Mondays you can post your game breakdowns here. :)

I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r
Thank you for all you have done. You're one media person that I for one admire and appreciate. I've really liked that you always said you aren't a fan but a journalist which has earned you the trust and respect of this group of fans. I dearly hope the best for you.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football. I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r
take the job,you will do it justice as you always have and make it interesting for us

take the job,you will do it justice as you always have and make it interesting for us
Selfishly I want to say the same thing but I think Dave can do much better than the job offered.

dave r

I'm really sorry to lose you as a football writer. Your previews and breakdowns of each game were the best thing in the newspaper. Maybe someone felt they were too honest?

Selfishly I want to say the same thing but I think Dave can do much better than the job offered.

Let's hope so, but good writing jobs are hard to come by nowadays. Best of luck, Dave.

Anything on Mike Waters who along, with Dave Rahme, I think is one of the best at what he does?

Mike and Donna have been offered positions covering SU hoops. The season, after all, is upon us.

The biggest problem with the paper is the ownership.
I guess it looks like I will be left with the creative mumblings of Bud.

Thanks Dave. When I started this thread, this was the news I was afraid to hear. Best of luck in the new endeavor and thank you for everything.

Truly a sad day. Thanks for your hard work and best of wishes no matter what you decide to do next.

Dave best of luck to you and thanks for all the great football information you have provided us with. Your chats have been a great feature of this web site. A lot of us have a lump in our throats today as we try to digest the changes we were afraid might happen. It stinks!!

That's one thing you can't call Bud.

He's colorful, he's often too negative, he writes about nothing, and he's constantly recycling the same few themes. But he's a stronger writer than just about anyone who's worked for that paper in the past fifteen years.

You mentioned Kirst - did he get laid off too, or was that just speculation? That'd be very disappointing. The Post-Standard has long been weak in terms of columns, but he's all they've got.

Must be the management heard my call for more whiz-bang and opera analogies.

Must be the management never heard of sarcasm. Huge error letting Dave Rahme go. Huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom