Postgame Thoughts… Cornell | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Cornell

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Weak start to this game, but sort of what I expected. Good effort to tie it at half.

Second half we dominated, no question. Kudos to Jesse for stepping up on D and in the paint there.

Joe played great and kept us in it early. Bell played well too, including some good effort plays which are really needed from him.

Nice to see Symir and Benny hit threes.

Brown continues to just play good basketball, even though the numbers were not eye popping.

It was a good team win with how they responded to Cornell being the aggressor. Cornell came in super confident after just barely missing out on beating Miami.

There is slowly some chemistry building as a whole team on both ends. It's a work in progress. The flex lineup with Maliq was key to the win and was nice to see it work. Rebounding was a major issue but it felt like 1/3 of Cornells boards came on like 5 possessions

Weak start to this game, but sort of what I expected. Good effort to tie it at half.

Second half we dominated, no question. Kudos to Jesse for stepping up on D and in the paint there.

Joe played great and kept us in it early. Bell played well too, including some good effort plays which are really needed from him.

Nice to see Symir and Benny hit threes.

Brown continues to just play good basketball, even though the numbers were not eye popping.
To me, Joes play in the first keeping us in it and the adjustments to the small lineup were the difference.

Then the effort kept the lead.

promising to see us continue to improve.

Poor Jesse. They said he was sick. Plus he took a shot to the ribs in the first half. Then he got a bloody nose in the second half. Kudos to him for fighting through it all in the second half and playing great.

And Bell and Benny were all over the place on defense.

For the first time this year Benny and Bell looked like leaders in the second half. Our Core three was a Core 5 in the second half. The little things.
Brown Symir, Copeland (minus one pass) played well. Ajax Hima, Justin were quiet but ok.

Last edited:
Yeah Bell takes a lot of guff for being what appears to be a congenitally terrible rebounder, but he had a good game.

I know folks make it into Bell vs Taylor, but reality is Bell has made more consistent contributions in his minutes. Taylor had one incredible game that was a glimpse of what could be, and does some decent things in his minutes, but still is growing as a player just as much as Bell.

Poor Jesse. They said he was sick. Plus he took a shot to the ribs in the first half. Then he got a bloody nose in the second half. Kudos to him for fighting through it all in the second half and playing great.

And Bell and Benny were all over the place on defense.
Jesse's rebounding is really on a different level this season.

Yeah Bell takes a lot of guff for being what appears to be a congenitally terrible rebounder, but he had a good game.

I know folks make it into Bell vs Taylor, but reality is Bell has made more consistent contributions in his minutes. Taylor had one incredible game that was a glimpse of what could be, and does some decent things in his minutes, but still is growing as a player just as much as Bell.

Bell might not have put up great numbers at Wasatch and they got beat a lot but the lack of fear out there with him is clear. The game isn't too fast for him. IMG was good too of course but Taylor is thinking still a bit too much and a step behind.

I think we can put to bed the early season discussion of whatever rivalry between Judah and Joe. Those guys were having fun out there together in the second half.

Yep. I would say it took maybe 4 games at most. They are clicking. Joe is doing good job encouraging him too.

The defense was better in the second half in terms of making the first shot more difficult and contesting passes. However they were so pathetic at rebounding (last I checked, a part of defense) that Cornell ended up with myriad wide open looks from 3, which they were just missing. So all told , i think it could have been a much different story if they just made even 1/3 of those wide open threes in the 2nd

This was the first game I felt we had a little something going as a team. I thought this was JG3 best game maybe ever. For most of the game he gave a tremendous amount of effort on the defensive side of the ball and didn't really force too much on offense.

Thought Benny played well if I am not mistaken he was the only starter to not come out in the 2nd half? I thought he played very well within the zone as was moving around well. He was only credited with 5 rebounds but I could have sworn he had at least 8. I think with Benny has long as he plays hard with energy JB is going to live with some of his "silly" plays.

Bell and Brown played well.

Overall I thought we played maybe our best game of the season. Trending in a nice direction I wont take a drink of the orange kool-aid yet but this was a very refreshing game.

He’s getting competition on the offensive end, he needs to provide more rebounding if he wants more court time now
The guys who haven’t rebounded still get time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom