Postgame Thoughts… Cornell | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Cornell

Energy and deflections. That was the story of the second half. I know we gave up a lot of open shots that Cornell mist, but the energy was much better. I like that we got our hands on a lot of passes, we just didn’t grab enough of the loose balls in my opinion to really dominate Cornell. But it was encouraging to watch.

Energy and deflections. That was the story of the second half. I know we gave up a lot of open shots that Cornell mist, but the energy was much better. I like that we got our hands on a lot of passes, we just didn’t grab enough of the loose balls in my opinion to really dominate Cornell. But it was encouraging to watch.

Yep. Cornell was pressing and rushed in those shots too. Plus they went for it early going all out expending a ton of energy. I've watched them a few times and while they play fast they are not that chaotic and frenetic. They went all in to try and take this one and just couldn't make it happen.

Yep. Cornell was pressing and rushed in those shots too. Plus they went for it early going all out expending a ton of energy. I've watched them a few times and while they play fast they are not that chaotic and frenetic. They went all in to try and take this one and just couldn't make it happen.
They really move the ball well. One of their guys made a real NBA level play where he drove into the lane and rifled it one handed to a guy waiting in the corner. It took our guys a while but in the 2nd half our guys finally closed off some of their lanes.

I’m dreaming of being like 14-6 and having 20,000+ including a big and fired up student section for UNC on 1/24. And then let’s freakin bury them. Wes Johnson at MSG buzzsaw them.

Let’s make it happen. Enough is a freakin nuff. Let’s be Syracuse again. We’ve got a stud center and PG, a senior deadeye shooter, and multiple young and athletic forwards that are turning a corner. No excuses. Let’s go.

LOVE IT !!!

They really move the ball well. One of their guys made a real NBA level play where he drove into the lane and rifled it one handed to a guy waiting in the corner. It took our guys a while but in the 2nd half our guys finally closed off some of their lanes.

It's superb coaching how he has them playing.

I’m dreaming of being like 14-6 and having 20,000+ including a big and fired up student section for UNC on 1/24. And then let’s freakin bury them. Wes Johnson at MSG buzzsaw them.

Let’s make it happen. Enough is a freakin nuff. Let’s be Syracuse again. We’ve got a stud center and PG, a senior deadeye shooter, and multiple young and athletic forwards that are turning a corner. No excuses. Let’s go.

Its not out of bounds to get there. One game at a time with winnable games in front. These kids have had a lot thrown at them even if the talent levels weren't that high.

Sure they’re all in contention, but none of them are any good and I think Cornell appears to be the most competitive top-to-bottom of all of them.
I like their style of play...

With a whole fist full of freshman, you aren't going to schedule top flight teams. Let's take things gradually and by ACC tournament time and March you may get your wish.

And next year, you might see one or two of those top teams on the early schedule if coaches think the center can be adequately filled. The rest of the team should be there.

Those who think Mintz is one and done are being far more optimistic about his progress than I. Playing like he is now, even improving through the season, he would still have a long way to go to think about the NBA.

We haven't had a team capable of playing tough OOC opponents since our first year in the ACC when we went to Maui anyway.

I'm not saying its the correct thing to do given the status of the program just that it absolutely kills me to see every other name school play a respectable schedule while we have to pad ours with gimmes. All the big boys were playing each other this week.

Maliq Brown needs to play more.
Feels like it’ll take until March for Boeheim to truly figure this out. Similar to Jesse in 2021. I don’t understand why guys like JBA and Justin Taylor come off the bench before him.

There’s a LOT of coaches in their 30’s and 40’s who I absolutely hate. Like, that whole generation of college coaches are complete dorks. Actually maybe 50s too…I think Danny Hurley is probably 50+ but he’s such a man baby that I forget how old he really is.

But that Bryant coach might take the cake. Never seen a coach, his entire team, and all their assistants act like that. I hate them all. If we ever play them again I’m stubhubbing seats front row behind their bench and basically being like the guy with the nail in his head was to Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore.
I don’t normally go the aggressive, rude, revengeful, despise-them-all route, but I must tell you I am with you all the way. Bryant is bad peoples.

No idea what you’re looking at.
Better fundamentally in a lot of ways. I haven’t seen all of the games, or really all of the games I have gotten to see. Bell has been meh at best. Williams has looked like he has a short: he just is around for most of the time, then has spurts of energy. I like what I saw of Brown. The kid knows how to play basketball.

-i’ve been very critical of JG3 but today showed what a weapon he can be when he takes shots that he can make as opposed to launching off balance or fading shots. He only burned us on defense twice with two lazy close outs and I actually thought his defense was as good as we’ve seen in some time. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his defense was a little better when JB gave him a few blows.
-Benny seems to be figuring some things out on offense and becoming more of a threat with each passing game. I hope that continues especially when he finally decided to go to the basket late in the game and was effective doing so. His rebounding was horrendous as he continually got his hands on balls that he should be able to secure but somehow lost them.
-Judah was not good in the first half but I was glad to see him continue to go to the basket and not get relegated to the bench. It just shows how much more trust JB has in him than he has had with other freshmen.
-good to see Bell more active rebounding. The kid knows how to score and his stroke is nice. I like how he goes to the euro step on the fast break and is effective doing so.
-again it is crazy how people clamored for brown and JB finally gives him a chance and he is taking advantage of it. I can only wonder what took so long especially given our rebounding problems.
-pretty evident that we will struggle when Jesse plays like he did in the first half
-contrary to what JB said in his presser I thought the zone was much more active in the second half and really made Cornell work. I thought that was our best defensive second half of the season.
-I found putting Quadir in at the 3 when we were struggling with rebounding to be an odd decision. The scouting reports about his reckless approach and not taking care of the ball that we heard about before he arrived at Syracuse were spot on. I am bullish on his future but he needs to be smarter if he wants to be a one which I believe is his aspiration.
-Beautiful tribute by JB to Louis Orr in the presser. Rare for us to see that part of JB.

Last edited:
-i’ve been very critical of JG3 but today showed what a weapon he can be when he takes shots that he can make as opposed to launching off balance or fading shots. He only burned us on defense twice with two lazy close outs and I actually thought his defense was as good as we’ve seen in some time. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his defense was a little better when JB gave him a few blows.
-Benny seems to be figuring some things out on offense and becoming more of a threat with each passing game. I hope that continues especially when he finally decided to go to the basket late in the game and was effective doing so. His rebounding was horrendous as he continually got his hands on balls that he should be able to secure but somehow lost them.
-Judah was not good in the first half but I was glad to see him continue to go to the basket and not get relegated to the bench. It just shows how much more trust JB has in him than he has had with other freshmen.
-good to see Bell more active rebounding. The kid knows how to score and his stroke is nice. I like how he goes to the euro step on the fast break and is effective doing so.
-again it is crazy how people clamored for brown and JB finally gives him a chance and he is taking advantage of it. I can only wonder what took so long especially given our rebounding problems.
-pretty evident that we will struggle when Jesse plays like he did in the first half
-contrary to what JB said in his presser I thought the zone was much more active in the second half and really made Cornell work. I thought that was our best defensive second half of the season.
-I found putting Quadir in at the 3 when we were struggling with rebounding to be an odd decision. The scouting reports about his reckless approach and not taking care of the ball that we heard about before he arrived at Syracuse were spot on. I am bullish on his future but he needs to be smarter if he wants to be a one which I believe is his aspiration.
-Beautiful tribute by JB to Louis Orr in the presser. Rare for us to see that part of JB. I can’t help but wonder given how much JB loved him, why Orr never was an assistant coach at Cuse.
Orr was an assistant from 1996 to 2000 I believe

Up 12 with 3:30 to go and Copeland, after getting the ball from a double teamed Jesse on the baseline and dribbling it up across half court like he’s supposed to, throws a lead pass out of bounds rather than slowing it up and running 30 seconds…..

this is AAU basketball’s fault. It’s NOT better ball than high school. They just get all the good players on the same teams while collecting money, and then have them coached by some dork wearing shorts and old running sneakers….they just run up and down. No “situations” coaching. QC wouldn’t have even gotten talked to after that turnover in an AAU game.

That’s my take and I’m sticking to it.
Ummmm... Depends. You'd be very surprised. All AAU is not created equally.

I run an AAU Club here in DC, about 50 kids or so.. It's all about the coaching and what he/she's trying to do... teach, win, dad coach or someone re-living their childhood through the boys. I take coaching and teaching very seriously and we don't teach junk ball. I think Copeland wasn't trying to be fancy, still see the nerves trying not to make a mistake. In my Club, I'll take that... for now.. That will be the least of my concerns in another year or so.

There is a whole lot of what you say, I will admit... You can always tell the difference between coaches that are teaching, growing and developing young men that play basketball vice those guys that got a bunch of good players and are just out to win. I started the club as an "anti" AAU club focused on teaching the game and developing young men. I didn't take the best players just some that wanted to learn the game, taught them from ground up, building on what they did well. We got molly-whopped our first six months. After 12 months we were always competitive. Year two, we are a tuff win.

Ps... I NEVER wear shorts, and "old skool" sneakers are all i do..

Spot on. Energy was missing in the first 10 minutes other than Joe who i thought played one of his best all around games. He was excellent in all areas yesterday. Really happy for him.
I liked the small lineup with Bell Benny Brown on the back line. Hope to see more of this as situations allow.
This team is starting to come together and its fun to watch. Lots of tools for JB to work with. Great second half by the guys. Lets build on this.

Saw an interesting exchange between Benny and JAB. Jim was in his face about something...addressed the team a bit and Benny is clapping and ready to go before they went back to the floor. That young man can take harsh instruction and bounce back realizing what he has to do... instead of turtling into a shell he went out and did what he was told. What a difference a year can make.

The freshmen have a lot of growth to go yet but you can see the positive spurts and potential they have. I think Bell got the idea from JAB what he has to do and is doing a better job than earlier which is a very good sign.

We're still going to see a lot of ups and downs...especially in ACC play but once each youngster starts to figure out how to play the game at this level we should see some pretty good basketball, Mintz still has to figure out how to play 1 but you can see he's learning but still tries to do too much at times.

When league play starts Jesse is going to have to be good to great every night. Our offense concerns me more than our D against good teams and Jesse will be our only guy with an advantage pretty much every game.

In Bell’s post-game interview, when asked if he’s happy he score double figures, he said he’s more worried about rebounding than scoring. JB wasn’t exactly subtle, but still, I’m glad the message was received. Seems like a great kid and while it will be an adjustment, I think he will get to a suitable level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom