Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

Folks were surprised Jimmy was started, then alarmed he was getting all those mpg. Now, I think we're all numb. There's no clear logic to this philosophy and I don't care how raw Benny Williams is/was/has been. Jimmy does not deserve 35+ mins per game. Guys named Melo, Flynn, Pearl, DC, or Sherm, certainly did, but its clear no one on this squad does. This is sick.

Honestly of the guys you listed the only ones who I’m reasonably sure who played more are Carmelo and Flynn,

On this team Symir is absolutely a starter.
He doesn't have to start, but it should be pretty clear by now that he needs to play a lot more. He can do things that no other player on this team can. Not that those things are extraordinary, nor am I implying that Symir is a gifted college player. The point is he can do things that no other player on this team can. I will add that I think his quickness is exceptional.

He doesn't have to start, but it should be pretty clear by now that he needs to play a lot more. He can do things that no other player on this team can. Not that those things are extraordinary, nor am I implying that Symir is a gifted college player. The point is he can do things that no other player on this team can. I will add that I think his quickness is exceptional.
Except now he's hurt. We are even more doomed.

Agree. He is our best lead guard.

If he doesn’t have to start then neither does anyone not named Edwards.

I don’t think Symir is that good, but he’s a point guard and the only one we have.

Remember when Jim said that Colgate would be the best team we would play this year against our zone.

i think Duke was better.

just my opinion
.....and the season isn't over yet!!! We let 30% 3 pt shooting FSU burn us for 60%.

If he doesn’t have to start then neither does anyone not named Edwards.

I don’t think Symir is that good, but he’s a point guard and the only one we have.
Here's the difference. You are looking at it objectively. I am looking at what JB might do.

It’s mind blowing it’s even being considered. The definition of insanity.
Some times it's hard for a father to realistically appraise their son's talents. I'm sure many of us have witnessed dads coach their sons where the dad wildly overrates their kid's ability. Just because JB is coaching at a much higher level doesn't make him immune from this blind spot.

Gave you a like, but I 100% disagree with you.

The talent and coaching isn’t there. It was going to be Buddy shooting a ton and everything else was a back seat. It became even worse that Jimmy gets the second most shots a game.
Fair enough.

What really irks me a bout him is when they get the W he is all lovey dovey with Juli and others but when Syracuse gets the W he blows by players and then sits in the presser and says "Amazing". Just a fair weather coach!
He's been that way for decades.

Know a guy who is a UConn fan.

He was basically saying SU fans need to pump the brakes on what our expectations are. Also said SU-UConn at the Garden was louder for UConn.

As an SU grad, it literally took every ounce of energy for me not to punch him in his face.

This is where we are as a program. UConn fans sticking their noses up at us.

I hear you, even though I might not speak the language you are using. Who do you think JB will sit to make Symir a starter?

Honestly he probably doesn’t have to start (no one does! The cake is baked wrt this season imo)

Anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Homer coaches the football team.
He starts Bart at QB and the team sucks and Bart fakes an injury so he doesn’t have to play to appease his teammates. Then Homer writes a note saying the team will forfeit because Bart isn’t playing.

It’s kinda funny.

He's a career 35-36% shooter from 3 yet some think he's this great outside shooter. He's not.

I truly thing it has everything to do with the announcers saying after every miss (seemingly) - "he almost never misses those."

It creates this weird idea for people that he almost never misses.

Last edited:
I'll never stop being baffled by anyone that thought this was a possibility. He had a hot streak to end last year, and a couple other hot streaks that were not that notable.
Took a quick look - through the Georgia Tech game last year (right before we went on our run to end the year), Buddy's career 3PT% was 36.1%.

Since that game, his 3PT% is...36.7%. That includes his nuclear stretch to end last year.

I think we were all hopeful that the end of last year was him turning the corner into an elite shooter from 3, but it's become clear what he is - a guy that can shoot a good, but not great, percentage on really high volume and have some big streaks (both good and bad) along the way. That's a valuable player, but it isn't an AA, or even someone that should be the primary option on a good team.

That is what I mean the interview was fine her answer was embarrassing. There family clearly putting joy and happiness over winning and that shouldn’t ever happen at a university the level of Syracuse. We all can see what is going on but saying it out loud is a bad look. JB and Buddy should have transferred to the IVY league and it would be a great story not the other way around.
What did she say that was embarrassing? Didn’t see interview.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom