Postgame Thoughts… Duke | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Duke

Know a guy who is a UConn fan.

He was basically saying SU fans need to pump the brakes on what our expectations are. Also said SU-UConn at the Garden was louder for UConn.

As an SU grad, it literally took every ounce of energy for me not to punch him in his face.

This is where we are as a program. UConn fans sticking their noses up at us.
You should have done it

Know a guy who is a UConn fan.

He was basically saying SU fans need to pump the brakes on what our expectations are. Also said SU-UConn at the Garden was louder for UConn.

As an SU grad, it literally took every ounce of energy for me not to punch him in his face.

This is where we are as a program. UConn fans sticking their noses up at us.
My nephew is a Mutts fan- and is giving me the same type of grief. But never in a 1000 years would I trade places with UConn. In the immortal words of Marsh01... "e f f e UConn"!

Honestly he probably doesn’t have to start (no one does! The cake is baked wrt this season imo)
Jesse does, Buddy does, and, probably...Joe does - for this team, this year anyway. Symir needs to play a lot more. I can't see JB starting him b/c that aint what JB does after he has vehemently taken the stance that the bench isn't "ready/the starters are getting it done."

Took a quick look - through the Georgia Tech game last year (right before we went on our run to end the year), Buddy's career 3PT% was 36.1%.

Since that game, his 3PT% is...36.7%. That includes his nuclear stretch to end last year.

I think we were all hopeful that the end of last year was him turning the corner into an elite shooter from 3, but it's become clear what he is - a guy that can shoot a good, but not great, percentage on really high volume and have some big streaks (both good and bad) along the way. That's a valuable player, but it isn't an AA, or even someone that should be the primary option on a good team.

Yeah, he's kinda like BJ Johnson but with no secondary skills!

Jesse does, Buddy does, and, probably...Joe does - for this team, this year anyway. Symir needs to play a lot more. I can't see JB starting him b/c that aint what JB does after he has vehemently taken the stance that the bench isn't "ready/the starters are getting it done."

I’m not really sure Joe does.

If this sh-it starting lineup comes back next year I’m done
The starting lineup has just such a massive athleticism deficit. I’d take Buddy back and build around him with athletes who can either shoot or drive. but Cole and Jimmy are just way too slow and unathletic to be the starting forwards if we want to have a halfway decent defense. I have no idea why JB thought this would work.

Let's see what we can look like with Sy and Benny getting heavy minutes alongside Jesse. Don't really care who else joins them on the court. Maybe Swider too but really those 3 with the most important thing being trying to develop Benny and Symir.
Benny still looks really lost. He should still get some decent playing time, but not heavy minutes. Symir is showing real improvement and growing confidence.

The starting lineup has just such a massive athleticism deficit. I’d take Buddy back and build around him with athletes who can either shoot or drive. but Cole and Jimmy are just way too slow and unathletic to be the starting forwards if we want to have a halfway decent defense. I have no idea why JB thought this would work.
He thought he would outscore teams Because of all the spacing he would have with all the shooters on the floor. Not remembering that we don’t have a point guard or even one player who can get past his man off the dribble on a consistent basis.

I don’t know what was worse the coaching job by JB or the interview by Juli both were terrible looks for the university
What did Juli say that was so bad?

She was fine. It was bad timing. Said it was great for the family to watch her sons and husband despite the record. We were getting trounced by 30 at that moment.
That’s fine. Plus I expect her to be a mom first. Would have liked the opposite from dad.

I do tend to believe this Duke team was rather uniquely constructed to beat the zone. It's just an unfortunate thing that happens on occasion. :(
Duke is the 8th best 3 point shooting team in the country, and we are terrible at defending the 3, so makes sense that we would struggle. Oh, and they’re better and more athletic than us at every position. That said, I was surprised that we missed so many shots that were pretty good looks, even some wide open. Our 3 point shooting was horrendous. Buddy looked like he lost all confidence.

Last edited:
They are the 8th best 3 point shooting team in the country, and we are terrible at defending the 3, so makes sense that we would struggle. Oh, and they’re better and more athletic than us at every position. That said, I was surprised that we missed so many shots that were pretty good looks, even some wide open. Our 3 point shooting was horrendous. Buddy looked like he lost all confidence.
Dukes defense is terrible

Waters and Ditota are just happy to have their jobs. I'm not sure I blame them. No questions from Donna and one question from Waters about interior defense. More baloney from Boeheim about how we have to make shots.

He can't facilitate, rebound or defend. Doesn't bring much to the table imo. He's shooting better from 3 this year. Big whoop.

Except he’s been the 2nd best all around player this year according to BPM advanced stats.

That is what I mean the interview was fine her answer was embarrassing. There family clearly putting joy and happiness over winning and that shouldn’t ever happen at a university the level of Syracuse. We all can see what is going on but saying it out loud is a bad look. JB and Buddy should have transferred to the IVY league and it would be a great story not the other way around.
Oh come on. She’s trying to find the silver lining in this disaster of a season while speaking on a national TV broadcast. What is she supposed to say? Even she said out loud it’s not the record we wanted.

I’d rather play someone interested in defense and team offense. Watching buddy just isn’t fun.

But you’re last statement is what I’ve been thinking about since the end of the game. There’s no chance he thought this team would actually be competitive, right?

Except he’s been the 2nd best all around player this year according to BPM advanced stats.
We only have 8 players.
We are 9-10 as a team.

So what is your point.
The roster management is so bad it makes the numbers for a player like Joe who is playing out of position appear better.
Joe is a nice player who shouldn’t be playing PG 30+ MPG.
He would be great as a SG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom