Postgame Thoughts… NC State | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… NC State

One of the things I have rarely seen here, but I have come to understand, is that other college coaches really like JAB. Not universally, of course (Nate Oats pushed back, as did the Bryant HC). But the vast, vast majority appreciate his coaching acumen and what he has done for coaching. He advanced his profession. He talks to young coaches in the summers. They approach him, maybe less so now than they did 10-15 years ago, but he’s showed genuine interest in others. Some of this happened through USA Basketball, which JAB was involved with besides being Coach K’s assistant. To say JAB is “revered” might be a bit too strong, but it is not far off.

I think Keatts likes JAB and feels comfortable enough in that moment to say something about the craptastic refs. And JAB essentially said, “yeah, get in line, it’s a long one, they’ve sucked a lot more than just tonight.”
This was my take too. “I get it - we’re an ugly step child here too.”

Just finished game on dvr.

gritty, gutty performance.

Judah was fantastic. Getting better every day

Jesse started so shaky, then was just dominating at the end. Great boards throughout

Joe def had his moments but I almost broke my tv when he started complaining with the ball still on the ground. Jesse bailed him out.

Bell had his moments too, but still just dreadful on the glass. He has to start boxing out. still much better on rotations.

Brown was amazing on D. sometimes shaky on the d boards a little, but was very very good on o boards. Time for him to start looking for a shot when he has a short guy on him.

Worst Taylor mins maybe all year. Looks awful in all phases.
also maybe worst Sy mins.
benny, again, just doesn’t defend.

I normally am screaming for bench when guys were so exhausted (bell and brown specifically were like walking up the floor), but no one could give us mins...so I got it.

the refs? I honestly thought the only call we got lucky with was the last Judah call. The charge was a charge. The Joe flop was payback for the refs not stopping the game for getting slapped in the face. the result is what it should’ve been.
Girard's embarrassing flop and then quitting to complain looked terrible. Mintz has his own troubles at times at the end of games but at least he tries to win the right way

Girard's embarrassing flop and then quitting to complain looked terrible. Mintz has his own troubles at times at the end of games but at least he tries to win the right way
Embarrassing flop? No such thing, he got the call (unless I’m thinking of the wrong call). As for mintz he’s pretty consistently beat down the floor defensively when he doesn’t get a call. He did it twice last night. Criticism is fair, but should be consistent.

Last edited:
Keats should have been T’d up in a previous TO. He was all over the ref and wouldn’t let up. The refs gave him too much latitude. On the court continuously, barking at the refs, following the ref around. Over the top. That’s why you T a coach.

This. What was he thinking
I thought the biggest mistake was leaving Burns out there after he got his third foul. Sit him down for a couple of minutes, and you have more fouls and time to play with.

I thought the biggest mistake was leaving Burns out there after he got his third foul. Sit him down for a couple of minutes, and you have more fouls and time to play with.
Burns was killing us in the middle of the zone and they sat him for way too long. Thanks to Judah for being so good at drawing fouls. That swipe Burns took when Judah blew by his defender was the difference-maker.

I was surprised it wasn't called out of bounds for hitting the side of the backboard.
They would call it out if it hit the top of the backboard. Not sure why the side wouldn't be the same.
I don’t think this is true

Reminded me of Hak years ago against ND when he threw the ball in the air to run time off the clock at the end of the game.

I always thought Hak must have seen this old clip, (watch to the end). As I recall, Hak mis-timed it and there were still a couple of seconds when the ball came down. JB said he's had a sudden attack of insanity.

Also: that's what cheerleaders used to look like. Actually, that's what girls used to look like.

Pretty sure JB is saying “wait a minute, I’ve been F..Ed by the refs before too, back off!”

Look at the guy in the light blue shirt in the background. He seems pretty amused, so can't imagine it was anything bad.

Posters who live in glass houses, etc.
Confused Girl.gif

Agreed. Except they were playing pretty well with 4-5 minuets to go.

Correct. While he probably should have been put in sooner, they were down 7 when he went out with his 4th foul and were only down 3 when he came back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom