Postgame Thoughts… ND | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… ND

I think while being excited for the win and hoping for the best, I think some of analysis isn’t recognizing that ND missed A LOT of open shots

There was one possession late in the first half when we were up three and ND missed the widest openest corner three I ever saw and I was like “huh, that never happens.”

Of course they tied it with a three on like the next possession.

I know I pick on JBA a lot for not being that good, but I will say this, he played EXCELLENT defense on that final shot by ND. Arms went straight up and disrupted the shot without fouling.

I think JBA should play a lot more, and in fact JBA being the primary ball handler is an angle that quite frankly a lot of people are missing.

Joe’s defense was much better today. Muuuch better. I’m not talking about the steals, he fought over a couple of screens for the first time in forever.

There was one possession late in the game where he showed initially, then fought OVER the screen and the got out effectively on the shooter on the ensuing ball reversal.

The result was a missed shot. That’s what can happen when he puts forth the effort.
He guarded and was guarded by a different athlete but good for Joe. Not east being under the microscope like he is.

I think while being excited for the win and hoping for the best, I think some of analysis isn’t recognizing that ND missed A LOT of open shots
Thank you for saving me the time of going back and finding a similar post.

We missed A LOT of open shots, too.

Joe’s defense was much better today. Muuuch better. I’m not talking about the steals, he fought over a couple of screens for the first time in forever.

There was one possession late in the game where he showed initially, then fought OVER the screen and the got out effectively on the shooter on the ensuing ball reversal.

The result was a missed shot. That’s what can happen when he puts forth the effort.
Yup, don't have to be a lockdown guy to make a difference on defense. Sometimes just hustling matters.

1-0 in the ACC.

Jesse is a beast.

Joe good game (with some warts).

Judah huge bucket (with a number of bad plays tho).

Still not sure why Benny and Bell start, but one game at a time.

Liked JT's minutes.

JB with some good ATO plays and the subbing at the end.

Good win, let's keep it up.
Taylor pushing Bell down the rotation seems to be the biggest takeaway.

JBA pushing past Bell is a shocker, probably an aberration... But how many times have we been victimized by good passers out of the high post? JBA did some nice things out there. Unfortunately, he and I had the same number of rebounds as dead men.

Eh not really but regardless I’m talking about analysis of our D specifically. We played better on D somewhat but a normal shooting night from them and they win

Best all-around game you can hope for out of him. And if he cleans up his usual, unforced mistakes, he can be even better.

Eh not really but regardless I’m talking about analysis of our D specifically. We played better on D somewhat but a normal shooting night from them and they win

Well they seemed to have no problem shooting against MSU’s world famous man to man defense. Our defense was good today. We didn’t give many 2nd half open looks. Made them work the clock and find shots Late. Very good overall defensive effort, good coaching and an excellent win.

Well they seemed to have no problem shooting against MSU’s world famous man to man defense. Our defense was good today. We didn’t give many 2nd half open looks. Made them work the clock and find shots Late. Very good overall defensive effort, good coaching and an excellent win.
Yeah we’ll just agree to disagree. I thought they missed open shots and missed open passes to the base line. 3-4 missed dunks, layups. But as you said, we made stops when it mattered

Good shooters still miss three pointers. We showed that last year. We did a good job in the second half not letting them get into a rhythm on offense. I think Jesse coming out and totally dominating them took a little of their swagger away from them. They lost some of their cockiness.

Really happy for JBA. Kid has stuck it out and is being rewarded with a chance. 1 bad shot, 1 fumbled pass, but otherwise very solid. Love his ability to keep a couple rebounds alive, though he didn’t get any. The close out on the final play was textbook.

Not sure there’s any reason to change the lineup now. If you bench Bell or Benny you will lose them mentally. Lets them try to get going and see how it plays out. Taylor is getting the same minutes and closing out games no matter who starts.

JBA gets some run….my only quibble would be to get Brown a taste every game.

JB can still coach from tip to buzzer….it’s all the other stuff that is the issue.

Glad Mintz got a positive late in the game and he should understand that that drive is what he needs to do in pressure possessions…not the fancy dribble 15 foot fadeaway (that luckily fell).

Not surprised Joe got off the snyde. For 20 years, our shooters always get healthy against ND…especially at their place. They simply don’t pressure the ball like other teams.

Oh, and Jessie has been insane every night. To a degree he’s getting so many rebounds there’s not much left for the forwards.
Including Edwards's 14 boards, we still lost to an undersized Irish by 7. It's not his fault.

Last edited:
I miss Cole Swider than I ever thought I would one year ago.
Watch Swider‘s podcast with Devo. Cole said that he told JB he’d return if he wanted him to and how thankful he was for the opportunity and faith he had in him. He said he loves JB who told him that he was ready for the NBA and his next step. Cole said if JB had asked him to return he would be at SU this year but JB was unselfish, talking only about what he believed was best for him. He said the confidence JB had in him really propelled him to continue to work hard and it has definitely paid off with him living his dream with the Lakers.Wish he was here too but it sure has been working out for Swider.

Yeah, but Notre Dame has guys who can usually shoot.

They only shot slightly worse than their average from 3, 33% vs 36%

Yes, really. We shot 16% from three.

Aren’t you one of those “You are what your record says you are” guys?

You don’t need me to tell you that part of JB’s logic with the zone is playing the percentages. He made adjustments to take some shots away and to leave specific players open. He’s counting on them to miss shots, even if that’s a pre-Curry mindset.

Yes, really. We shot 16% from three.

Aren’t you one of those “You are what your record says you are” guys?

You don’t need me to tell you that part of JB’s logic with the zone is playing the percentages. He made adjustments to take some shots away and to leave specific players open. He’s counting on them to miss shots, even if that’s a pre-Curry mindset.
We shot 16 percent from 3 because Joe jacked a bunch of bad 3s

You think those were open looks?

The open looks we missed were Benny and JBA jumpers. They had 33 percent 3 pt shooters missing wide open 3s.

If you think the defense was greatly improved, I hope you are right. We’ll see the rest of the year

We shot 16 percent from 3 because Joe jacked a bunch of bad 3s

You think those were open looks?

The open looks we missed were Benny and JBA jumpers. They had 33 percent 3 pt shooters missing wide open 3s.

If you think the defense was greatly improved, I hope you are right. We’ll see the rest of the year
Mintz missed one as well. We missed shots inside the arc, too.

ND shot 33% from three. They are what their stats say they are.

Mintz missed one as well. We missed shots inside the arc, too.

ND shot 33% from three. They are what their stats say they are.
great...I look forward to our D keeping up this level of play then...will give us good results.

great...I look forward to our D keeping up this level of play then...will give us good results.
This is the D we’re going to see. Everyone knows it’s not going to change. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom