Postgame Thoughts… VCU | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… VCU

yeah I can see why JB and staff might have thought beating pressing teams wasnt too much of an issue ...last season it didnt really hurt much...except for the Houston game. But I agree. I think they are underestimating how much opponents might do it...the blueprint is out ...on both sides of the ball.

I think just because syracuse doesnt really change up their defense they might be assuming other teams wont either...which would be a mistake. Its actually the exception to only stick with one system no matter what, not the rule.
I think the pressing issue is a problem but a bit overrated. Yes, JB had Kadary last season to relieve pressure defense and Elijah Hughes to help Girard the year before. Plus we had Marek who could break a press. But we’ll figure it out. Turnovers aren’t even much of an issue. VCU and Auburn have elite defenses and just threw a ton of guys at us.

I think the pressing issue is a problem but a bit overrated. Yes, JB had Kadary last season to relieve pressure defense and Elijah Hughes to help Girard the year before. Plus we had Marek who could break a press. But we’ll figure it out. Turnovers aren’t even much of an issue. VCU and Auburn have elite defenses and just threw a ton of guys at us.
even if it didnt show up in terms of turnovers the impact was huge. JG3 struggled big time in Atlantis.

And the team generally wilted down the stretch of games. I think they had to expend so much energy just to get a decent shot that it hurt a lot on defense too. They put up 55 against VCU and 68 against Auburn.

The problem is really initiating the offense and JG3 cant really do it against pressure. Symir is an option - i'd prefer him in there if a team is pressing - but he also struggles to play efficiently.

I dont think that its gonna be an isolated thing. Most p5 teams have enough athletes to face gaurd and thats what theyre going to do.

Its not an issue in terms of winning a few games here and there...but pretty much any ranked team will be pretty hard to beat - which I guess thats an "overrated problem" if youre fine with being a mid major.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom