Postgame Thoughts... Pitt game 2 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Pitt game 2

So let's think about that for a second.

In light of that, there are two conclusions: either they aren't worthy of being consulted, or they are so easily steamrolled that they aren't good enough leaders to do what's needed in the face of adversity.

Either way, it speaks volumes about how woefully unqualified either of the two AC's are to fill JB's shoes.

And apologies, bulldog, because I know you're close to the situation.
Don’t apologize. It’s a weird situation. JB loves the guys and literally has them running practice, yet he doesn’t talk to them in game? It all just doesn’t make sense no matter how you slice it or what anyone’s opinion is. And I’m friends with the guys first and they just happen to be coaches caught in a weird spot

JB has never huddled with or consulted with his assistants during a timeout. Not Hop, not Murphy, not Weaver, not Fine. He’s just never done it. I did see once in a great while Hop would walk past him and say something to him. But that’s it. Has nothing to do with the current assistants.

That's a clever attempt at hair splitting.

Because it isn't entirely factual. If you mean that JB doesn't consult with ACs do draft up plays during "timeouts," sure.

But let's consider that JB has several consistent ways that he utilizes timeouts. Sometimes, he uses the entirety of the time railing on officials. Or sometimes he uses the entirety of the timeout chewing out a player for some mistake they made. Other times, he's drawing up a play.

Across all three scenarios [and in particular the first two], the assistant coaches often are chiming in, or outright organizing things with the players / team while JB is preoccupied.

Just so we can dispense with the subtext that the ACs have all of this strategic insight they want to provide, but are somehow being neglected by JB.

Because if what you are saying is true, then essentially the AC staff is comprised of a bunch of glorified team managers who certainly shouldn't be considered as head coaching material.

The issue is Jim criticizes everyone but his kids. Jimmy played a horrible game. Maybe his worst of the year and he doesnt sit and doesn't get mentioned by his Dad yet he calls out other players .
The issue is that Jimmy is a starter getting 35 minutes a game.

If we were 18-2 people would say JB’s press conference bus-throwing is funny.

I just don’t see any other coach in America trashing his players the way JB does. Jesse is one of the most improved players in the country (thanks Griff) and yet he takes a beating. I honestly don’t know who would ever want to play for JB

JB is just being a clown at this point.
Jimmy: 8pts, 7 reb, 1 ast, 3 TO in 36 min
Cole: 9pts, 1 ast, 8 reb in 35 min
Jesse: 8 pts, 9 reb, 2 ast 3 blks in 34 min
Yep its all Jesse's fault.

I don't have an issue with him if he wants to critique Jessie but to say nothing the entire year about Buddy or Jimmy save for one comment about Jimmy missing FT's one game when he couldn't avoid it anymore is malpractice. His kids being on the team has taken a really bad turn and put the University in an impossible place.

The issue is that Jimmy is a starter getting 35 minutes a game.

If we were 18-2 people would say JB’s press conference bus-throwing is funny.

Jimmy should be getting half of that tops. He's an energy guy off the bench who will have some games where he is on and more minutes are warranted. But 35 min a game for Jimmy at this level is absurd.

That’s completely taken out of context. He’s talking about his strength and how he was getting bumped around. And that he’s a good player but to be a great player he’ll need to get stronger.
I have a crazy idea.

Now hear me out.

Maybe someday we try recruiting a center who is already strong, and not a beanpole who needs four years to add 15 pounds.

I know, I know, it’s lunacy.

Boeheims, combined:

12 of 33 from the field
4 of 18 from three
5 of 7 from the FT line

No need to talk about defense.

Great job hammering Jesse.
He also criticized Jesse missing free throws after saying a few weeks ago that he doesn't ever criticize his players for missing free throws, but can do it to Jimmy because it's his son. That is the only time he has criticized either of his sons publicly in 4 years. I'm great with him not doing it if he doesn't do it to everyone else.

I have a crazy idea.

Now hear me out.

Maybe someday we try recruiting a center who is already strong, and not a beanpole who needs four years to add 15 pounds.

I know, I know, it’s lunacy.

What if he's strong but has ping pong paddles for hands?

Jimmy should be getting half of that tops. He's an energy guy off the bench who will have some games where he is on and more minutes are warranted. But 35 min a game for Jimmy at this level is absurd.
He shouldn’t be on the team. I hated it when I heard this time last year that he’d almost certainly be on the team this season. I still hate it.

That's a clever attempt at hair splitting.

Because it isn't entirely factual. If you mean that JB doesn't consult with ACs do draft up plays during "timeouts," sure.

But let's consider that JB has several consistent ways that he utilizes timeouts. Sometimes, he uses the entirety of the time railing on officials. Or sometimes he uses the entirety of the timeout chewing out a player for some mistake they made. Other times, he's drawing up a play.

Across all three scenarios [and in particular the first two], the assistant coaches often are chiming in, or outright organizing things with the players / team while JB is preoccupied.

Just so we can dispense with the subtext that the ACs have all of this strategic insight they want to provide, but are somehow being neglected by JB.

Because if what you are saying is true, then essentially the AC staff is comprised of a bunch of glorified team managers who certainly shouldn't be considered as head coaching material.

Have no idea what you’re saying. I stated a fact. Him not consulting with the current asts says nothing about them. He’s never consulted with asts during timeouts.

You jest but...for the first time in my life toward the end of the 1st half I decided to check the live score. I was 50 minutes real time behind. I saved an hour of my life. Again...this was the first time in my life that not only did I not religiously avoid seeing a score, hearing a score, reading a text. I actually thought to myself as they were still leading, "Pitt stinks but we look really bad. If they lose I really don't want to watch the next hour. And if we win, I'll enjoy watching it anyway." So I checked the score. And now I get to watch a rerun of NCIS instead of Syracuse basketball. Never thought it would come to that.
good move. Wish I could get back the 2 hours I wasted watching that embarrasing game

No excuse to blame Jesse. This loss was on the awful play of Jimmy, Cole and Joe and the poor roster construction that has plagued us all year.

Yes Jesse still needs to get better but to talk about the kid needing to do more while some guys get a pass.. gteffo.

I don't have an issue with him if he wants to critique Jessie but to say nothing the entire year about Buddy or Jimmy save for one comment about Jimmy missing FT's one game when he couldn't avoid it anymore is malpractice. His kids being on the team has taken a really bad turn and put the University in an impossible place.
Exactly. You can't call out one player when a number of other players played just as bad if not worse. This has become a pattern. And the kid who is constantly skating is his son. That is just wrong. Either he cant see it, or refuses to see it, in either regard its very poor coaching and more importantly, its even worse leadership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom