Posting up Oshae | Syracusefan.com

Posting up Oshae

NateW

Living Legend
The last few games I have seen a concentrated effort to get Oshae the ball in the post.

It’s sporadic but definitely becoming a part of the game plan.

The entry pass has been a bit of an adventure- last night he set up close the the block and ended up catching the entry pass behind the 3pt line. Hahaha!

I for one am happy to see this tho... it’s a piece that this offense has severely lacked for awhile now and is necessary to round out the half court offense.

It’s still undecided how effective OB can be utilizing a back to the basket game but, let’s be honest, it is definitely where he needs to make his hay right now considering his inconsistent outside shooting. He needs the reps to improve his scoring, passing, and awareness with this aspect of the game. If this rounds into form we become a much more dangerous team come March.

Also the symbolic act of the post up is something that hopefully will put a different strain on opposing defenses.

I think what has frustrated everyone, is that this team has the athletes, they just play too passively until it's do or die time. Happened last night in our turrable start. If battle doesn't go off, we were looking at a damaging ugly loss. Who can we get on the staff that can hype the players and get them focused. Is this due to lack of leadership? (and I know Frank talks during games - but it seems really baffling and bizarre that we looked so uninterested and unfocused last night at the tip). I think that's the missing X factor. That's the difference in being a middling team and one who gives supreme effort for each other on D to grind out tough wins when they need to. Far to often we have to "make (really hard) shots" to even have a hope at winning.

In years past, we had an identity, something that the team could hang their hats on when things get tough and the plays break down... like the great D in recent teams, or heck even a play that could almost always get a bucket or a foul, etc. I am struggling this year to find one, and it could circle back to the motivation/not being dialed in mentality but... let's hope we do find that spark or it'll be too late to have this team reach it's potential.

Posting up from the block against potentially smaller guys, sure. Give it a shot to draw fouls. But when he comes to the elbow and tries to seal off his man, I actually don't understand the set at all. Forget about the fact it's often a real struggle to get the ball to him in a consistent location, I don't understand what our desired outcome is. The guy who struggles finishing and dribbling is now in a position where he has to dribble to the basket to try to finish? It ends up being a 1 on 1 situation, head down, do anything to get to the hoop and (too often) throw up a terribly low % shot. A guy I remember being very successful at this spot on the court was Wes Johnson. A big part of his success was because he was elite (college level) at mid-range shooting. Reminded me of Carmelo Anthony in that sense he could always get his jumper off when iso-d from 15ft.

Oshae in that same spot is too often a wasted possession, imo. I do however like the attempt to change up the sets we run.

I think what has frustrated everyone, is that this team has the athletes, they just play too passively until it's do or die time. Happened last night in our turrable start. If battle doesn't go off, we were looking at a damaging ugly loss. Who can we get on the staff that can hype the players and get them focused. Is this due to lack of leadership? (and I know Frank talks during games - but it seems really baffling and bizarre that we looked so uninterested and unfocused last night at the tip). I think that's the missing X factor. That's the difference in being a middling team and one who gives supreme effort for each other on D to grind out tough wins when they need to. Far to often we have to "make (really hard) shots" to even have a hope at winning.

In years past, we had an identity, something that the team could hang their hats on when things get tough and the plays break down... like the great D in recent teams, or heck even a play that could almost always get a bucket or a foul, etc. I am struggling this year to find one, and it could circle back to the motivation/not being dialed in mentality but... let's hope we do find that spark or it'll be too late to have this team reach it's potential.

I hear what you're saying. Though, it reminds me of what JB said not too long ago in regards to motivating his players; He said; a coach getting his players motivated to play in a game like this or D1 hoops is a bit overrated. If a player (at this level) doesn't have the motivation within himself, then he should ask himself if he should be playing ball at all...or something along these lines. I agree with this sentiment.

The last few games I have seen a concentrated effort to get Oshae the ball in the post.

It’s sporadic but definitely becoming a part of the game plan.

The entry pass has been a bit of an adventure- last night he set up close the the block and ended up catching the entry pass behind the 3pt line. Hahaha!

I for one am happy to see this tho... it’s a piece that this offense has severely lacked for awhile now and is necessary to round out the half court offense.

It’s still undecided how effective OB can be utilizing a back to the basket game but, let’s be honest, it is definitely where he needs to make his hay right now considering his inconsistent outside shooting. He needs the reps to improve his scoring, passing, and awareness with this aspect of the game. If this rounds into form we become a much more dangerous team come March.

Also the symbolic act of the post up is something that hopefully will put a different strain on opposing defenses.

that charge call was a giant bull turd, what a crappy call, the guy never stopped his feet from moving. It continues to be a concerted effort to have him attack, that has gone on since he got here, and he is getting better at it, see the 1H last night. I also like the posting up, it needs to continue. He doesn't need much space for a blow by, and his finishing will continue to improve. He is way overdue for a complete game.

I hear what you're saying. Though, it reminds me of what JB said not too long ago in regards to motivating his players; He said; a coach getting his players motivated to play in a game like this or D1 hoops is a bit overrated. If a player (at this level) doesn't have the motivation within himself, then he should ask himself if he should be playing ball at all...or something along these lines. I agree with this sentiment.

To some degree yes, absolutely a player needs to have that drive. But you can't tell me Dino doesn't stoke the embers and light a fire under the Fball's team ass every time they step on the field. These are not mutually exclusive things.

It sucks that Brissett has such difficulty finishing inside, because a true low post threat would make this offense pop. It's the missing puzzle piece. And obviously, we aren't feeding Chukwu in the post -- it sure would be nice if Oshae could be that guy on a more consistent basis.

The tools are all there, just not the execution. But like the OP astutely mentioned, it is a promising development that we're at least trying to establish this facet of the offense.

Maybe going to Las Vegas to work on his game wasn't the best way to spend his off-season.

To some degree yes, absolutely a player needs to have that drive. But you can't tell me Dino doesn't stoke the embers and light a fire under the Fball's team ass every time they step on the field. These are not mutually exclusive things.

Yes, he does. Although, once they get the rah rah pregame speech or what have you and run out onto the field stoked with emotion, etc., it's up to the player's own mental capacity to go out and maintain that focus, motivation, etc., and that comes from within oneself. It's a huge part in many cases of what makes/separates good players who have the physical talents/attributes, from the exceptional ones with similar physical abilities.

That's an interesting debate. I think at all levels you have coaches that likely get more "effort" out of certain players because of how they motivate, or the player's relationship with the coach. A lot of players aren't all-in, 100% effort guys - they're all likely fairly highly motivated dudes though to varying extremes to even reach this level, so maybe these are two different things.

It sucks that Brissett has such difficulty finishing inside, because a true low post threat would make this offense pop. It's the missing puzzle piece. And obviously, we aren't feeding Chukwu in the post -- it sure would be nice if Oshae could be that guy on a more consistent basis.

The tools are all there, just not the execution. But like the OP astutely mentioned, it is a promising development that we're at least trying to establish this facet of the offense.

Maybe going to Las Vegas to work on his game wasn't the best way to spend his off-season.

Agreed. I could be way off here, but frankly I’m tired of this “one foot out the door, bigger and better things out there than Syracuse” feel that some of these guys who aren’t even that good give off.

Directly related to the AAU over high school team mentality that is the standard now, IMO.

Everything’s all about the individual.

I honestly don't enjoy when Oshae touches the ball anywhere. Chances of something positive occurring aren't great.

OB spent a lot of time shooting foul shots last year. He’s probably shooting half as many this year. He seems to avoid contact. I get tired of him doing push ups with his hands after scoring. He needs to sprint back on defense. He has a much higher opinion of himself than how he’s playing.

The problem with anyone posting up is that it usually takes two quick, planned passes to get the ball inside or a widely spread out defense. That's something I've rarely seen from an SU team in my 50 years as a fan.

Rarely does OB (or any other SU player) get the ball in a good position to score, in the low post or anywhere else inside the arc.

It's obvious that D1 athletes SHOULD be self motivated, but I don't buy into the coach not having some responsibility also. Let's be honest, that is not JB's strength, and never has been. If he doesn't have an assistant capable of doing that, then he needs to get one. I thought Howard played better against Pitt, but I don't see him being a leader at all. This team is bereft of players with any leadership skills. That is why we are so inconsistent. Battle has some fire, but he even shuts down when he's having a bad shooting game. I don't know Girard's personality, but I hope & pray he has leadership skills.

It's obvious that D1 athletes SHOULD be self motivated, but I don't buy into the coach not having some responsibility also. Let's be honest, that is not JB's strength, and never has been. If he doesn't have an assistant capable of doing that, then he needs to get one. I thought Howard played better against Pitt, but I don't see him being a leader at all. This team is bereft of players with any leadership skills. That is why we are so inconsistent. Battle has some fire, but he even shuts down when he's having a bad shooting game. I don't know Girard's personality, but I hope & pray he has leadership skills.

Leadership comes from within, it's an inherent borne quality. One does not become a leader by being told to lead. If you are a type A personality, and I'm B, etc., there's not much you can say to me to change that innate personality trait. And, leadership and motivation are not synonymous.

Best thing I saw from OB Saturday was he tried a backdoor cut that was covered, quickly came right back and cut toward - toward - the low box and did what passes for his post up. Two smart, non-settling movements in one set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom