Potential JB successors | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta love all the GMac hate in this thread. Some amazing fans on this board

We don’t hate him. Love the guy. Just not the correct replacement for JB. It’s about being rationale and making the right choice for the future of the program.
“Not the correct replacement” You crack me up. How in Gods name do any of you have a clue how good a head coach he will be. This Syracuse Icon has given his life to SU basketball, shows all the qualities you would want to lead your program yet it wouldn’t be “rationale” to give him a chance be the next HC.This board has become a clown show.

“Not the correct replacement” You crack me up. How in Gods name do any of you have a clue how good a head coach he will be. This Syracuse Icon has given his life to SU basketball, shows all the qualities you would want to lead your program yet it wouldn’t be “rationale” to give him a chance be the next HC.This board has become a clown

Well this was shot down and will not happen

“Not the correct replacement” You crack me up. How in Gods name do any of you have a clue how good a head coach he will be. This Syracuse Icon has given his life to SU basketball, shows all the qualities you would want to lead your program yet it wouldn’t be “rationale” to give him a chance be the next HC.This board has become a clown show.
It’s ‘clowny’ to assert that anyone here ‘hates’ GMac.

No one knows what kind of HC he will be. That is kind of the point. Shouldn't SU hire someone with a track record? Should we hire DC, Sherm, Moten, Wallace, Melo, Hak as HC since they are bigger icons?

No one knows what kind of HC he will be. That is kind of the point. Shouldn't SU hire someone with a track record? Should we hire DC, Sherm, Moten, Wallace, Melo, Hak as HC since they are bigger icons?
Really, you’re comparing Gerry who has been coaching for years to guys who have never coached before.

I’m done.

LOL. I hope that you don't have to make significant decisions in business or life.

Why Gmac over Red?

Not really saying we should hire... but Ammaker.
CAN YOU IMAGINE him going up against Scheyer/Duke before 33,000 in the dome?
After what "may" have happened in the Coack K replacement?

Before this goes off the rails - are you talking this guy specifically or outside the box types...

The reason I brought that guy up was to show the types of candidates I would prefer to see. Doesn't have to be this guy specifically -- although he is a terrific coach, and a proven winner.

But I would much rather see the AD go after top tier, highly established names -- which are going to be expensive. And some won't be realistic. Kick the tires on guys like John Beilein [who might have something to prove, after the Cleveland / NBA debacle], Brad Stevens [totally unrealistic], Billy Donovan [totally unrealistic], etc.

Maybe even explore some second tier guys who also win and have won at several stops. People talk about Cooley from Providence -- what about someone like Rick Barnes? Say what you will about the postseason accomplishments or lack thereof, he gets teams into the top 25 and his teams play an exciting brand of basketball. Maybe he doesn't get us to national championship level -- but I'm willing to bet he'd recruit a helluva lot better than what we've had the last 8 years, and make us more competitive on the national landscape, reverse the downward slide this program has been on since 2014, get us back into the rankings and back in the national spotlight as being relevant again. Shaka Smart is another interesting name. As is the coach from Oklahoma State, who has NYC tie [although he is somewhat of a newb at the P5 level].

And if those candidates don't pan out, then target guys like the one from Bellarmine -- guys who win, win, win and have a track record of success at a lower level.

What I don't want to see is us going after no-trick pony coaches, who can't coach their way out of a paper bag from an X's and O's standpoint, and just have their teams get by on effort. Think: Danny Hurley.

Or completely unproven commodities like the guys currently sitting on our bench.

I also don't want guys who are failing at their current job, or only producing mediocre results [sadly, I'm looking at you, Hop].

We can, should, and will do better.

I knew when he walked off the court on his senior day against Villanova that Gerry would be the head coach here one day. That day is coming. He is Billy Donovan II.
I haven’t seen it translate to recruiting.

Roughly half his life

The reason I brought that guy up was to show the types of candidates I would prefer to see. Doesn't have to be this guy specifically -- although he is a terrific coach, and a proven winner.

But I would much rather see the AD go after top tier, highly established names -- which are going to be expensive. And some won't be realistic. Kick the tires on guys like John Beilein [who might have something to prove, after the Cleveland / NBA debacle], Brad Stevens [totally unrealistic], Billy Donovan [totally unrealistic], etc.

Maybe even explore some second tier guys who also win and have won at several stops. People talk about Cooley from Providence -- what about someone like Rick Barnes? Say what you will about the postseason accomplishments or lack thereof, he gets teams into the top 25 and his teams play an exciting brand of basketball. Maybe he doesn't get us to national championship level -- but I'm willing to bet he'd recruit a helluva lot better than what we've had the last 8 years, and make us more competitive on the national landscape, reverse the downward slide this program has been on since 2014, get us back into the rankings and back in the national spotlight as being relevant again. Shaka Smart is another interesting name. As is the coach from Oklahoma State, who has NYC tie [although he is somewhat of a newb at the P5 level].

And if those candidates don't pan out, then target guys like the one from Bellarmine -- guys who win, win, win and have a track record of success at a lower level.

What I don't want to see is us going after no-trick pony coaches, who can't coach their way out of a paper bag from an X's and O's standpoint, and just have their teams get by on effort. Think: Danny Hurley.

Or completely unproven commodities like the guys currently sitting on our bench.

I also don't want guys who are failing at their current job, or only producing mediocre results [sadly, I'm looking at you, Hop].

We can, should, and will do better.
I wouldn't want someone like Rick Barnes either. Wherever he might go would be his 5th stop not counting his assistant jobs. Just a hired gun and then move on.

For those who want Mike Boyton:

So what has Boynton done that has been impressive? He found a way to get Cunningham and they had one good year.

I knew when he walked off the court on his senior day against Villanova that Gerry would be the head coach here one day. That day is coming. He is Billy Donovan II.
I think Hop is a way more charismatic and commanding personality, which you need for recruiting and as the face of the program, and has vastly more coaching experience. The open question that we don’t really know is their basketball minds and vision for the program.

I wouldn't want someone like Rick Barnes either. Wherever he might go would be his 5th stop not counting his assistant jobs. Just a hired gun and then move on.
He’s struggled a bit in March but he turned both Texas and Tennessee into regular top 25 contenders. He’s a good coach and recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.