Potential JB successors | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s my due diligence.

Scott Drew.

Syracuse > baylor
I think Drew is going to wait for an SEC team to overpay him.
My prediction is when Florida loses Mike White either by firing him or him taking another job before being fired they will offer Drew insane money and he will go to Florida.

Sign me up, compared to the names that are usually mentioned.
Good.

Let’s keep the pool to names like that.

Thank you.

Here’s my due diligence.

Scott Drew.

Syracuse > baylor
These are the type of reality checks going on behind the scenes (trying to put 2+2 together here and not get 5). Not Scott Drew necessarily, but the Scott Drew types - due diligence to gauge interest.

It's a dirty, impure world :)

On 721 Hop in 2017 is way different (and better) than Hop in 2023 or whenever. But that's a different tangent.

We recruit guys (well not this bunch) that want to go to the NBA, that compete against Duke and UNC, etc etc...I think this is going to be a lot like Desko, replacing JB with a guy that can recruit (and retain) top talent where we need to recruit top talent and sell it to the fanbase, season ticket holders, and donors.'

JW is also trying to raise 150 million dollars, he needs more salespeople.
Re: donors, I read an article yesterday about how Gregg popovich was booed several of his initial games after he stepped out of a GM position with the Spurs and named himself the head coach.

I bet you those boos didn't continue for long, once the team started to win.

And if we get the right guy in place, wins will translate into fan enthusiasm which will in turn translate into donations. There's not a get rich quick easy button to push. Results or what matter, for recruiting, for ticket sales, and for booster donations.

Let's aim for sustainable success at a high level, not just a splashy initial higher that can't perform.

Last edited:
These are the type of reality checks going on behind the scenes (trying to put 2+2 together here and not get 5). Not Scott Drew necessarily, but the Scott Drew types - due diligence to gauge interest.

Yeah, 100% easy sells to the fanbase. Tough to pry but we'd win big fast.

Good.

Let’s keep the pool to names like that.

Thank you.

That name is unrealistic. He has no connection to the East Coast, either. There's a difference between compiling list, and whittling it down to a realistic set of candidates.

Let’s me say this about coaching searchers….there was a recent article that addressed this. Wish I could remember where it was.

But it’s premise is that Every fan base completely overestimates the attractiveness of their program when it comes to coaching searches. Every. Stinkin. One.

Athletic Directors don’t. So when someone asks John Wildhack what the future coaching search looks like, his default response is always going to be “we’re going to do a national search because we’re Syracuse and our fans and donors deserve it”. Because that’s the only answer fans and donors want to hear generally.

And I’m sure that John will announce a national search at some point. But he’ll do so with criteria in mind. Everything he has done from a hiring perspective indicates creative solutions that preserve as many existing employees as possible or some type of Syracuse connection.

Could he look at the basketball opening differently? - sure. But I have a hard time seeing it…and quite frankly have heard to the contrary.

The other factor at play is JB. JB is never going to endorse a guy without a Syracuse connection. I would not be surprised to see him announced his retirement in September before a season to force an internal transition. John would only give that person an interim title and then do a “national search.”

There is no easy transition from JB to the next coach.

That name is unrealistic. He has no connection to the East Coast, either. There's a difference between compiling list, and whittling it down to a realistic set of candidates.
This isn’t football.

He needs 1-3 kids a year.

With a NC in his resume, he can walk into any gym on I95 with an Orange S over bis heart and win recruits.

This isn’t football.

He needs 1-3 kids a year.

With a NC in his resume, he can walk into any gym on I95 with an Orange S over bis heart and win recruits.

Guys like that are Bigfoot, there are like 5-6 out there. To Jake's post its highly unlikely for the usual reasons but dare to dream.

Jason Hart is my first choice.
If not Hart then find a coach at a program doing well and fits our profile.

I want nobody attached to the bench now.
I like the Jason Hart option as well. There’s a lot to like there….proven recruiter, alumnus, easy to get buy off from JB. No ties to the zone. A reputation as a great teacher of the game.

Jason Hart is my first choice.
If not Hart then find a coach at a program doing well and fits our profile.

I want nobody attached to the bench now.
I am beyond happy that you have immeasurable, and I mean outer space,distance from the decision making process.

I like the Jason Hart option as well. There’s a lot to like there….proven recruiter, alumnus, easy to get buy off from JB. No ties to the zone. A reputation as a great teacher of the game.
I like Hart better than the current assistants but I really want someone with more head coaching experience than Jason has. A bit of HS and a bit of G League is just not enough IMO.

His gaining a lot of traction within the fan base. Wonder what the actual chance is

I think Drew is going to wait for an SEC team to overpay him.
My prediction is when Florida loses Mike White either by firing him or him taking another job before being fired they will offer Drew insane money and he will go to Florida.
He’s negotiating with Georgia.

Has defense really been our problem?
I know this season was but haven’t we been one of the better defensive teams in the country for awhile?

Are we, though?

I certainly admit that there are times when the zone is a beauty to behold, when we have the right personnel. Like 2013, when we had MCW up top and stud wings who were really, really athletic like CJ and Southerland. Indiana was completely flummoxed.

But more and more, it seems like conference opponents have it figured out, and that has contributed in part to why we haven't performed as well in conference for an extended period of time. And most teams don't exclusively play only one form of defense, congenitally incapable of switching to anything else. And defensive rebounding is part of defense, too -- and we're routinely one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in D1.

So while I see your point, I think it cuts both ways. And I'm not even anti-zone -- I just want to see a system that is more in tune with the modern game. The range that shooters have now... I don't think it is as effective as it once was.

Checks almost every box, except the head coaching one. Obviously, his current role would change that.

Not sure whether he would be interested in signing up for CNY winters again. But if he is, would prefer him greatly over Red / GMac.

His coaching career has been on the West coast. You expect him to come in with no ties and recruit well? Mike Hopkins was a proven recruiter. How has that worked out overall when he went to the opposite coast? I’m very surprised to hear your choice here.

I like Hart better than the current assistants but I really want someone with more head coaching experience than Jason has. A bit of HS and a bit of G League is just not enough IMO.
I hear you, but JW will support him with a Phil Martelli type as a bench coach. I think just about every option with a Cuse connection would have a bench coach.

As someone mentioned….we don’t need to go cheap here…and won’t.

I knew when he walked off the court on his senior day against Villanova that Gerry would be the head coach here one day. That day is coming. He is Billy Donovan II.

Hop would be a Home run. How many of the coaches that we actually have a shot at have been named coach of the year in their conference twice. Have the recruiting chops that he has?
Any coach we hire is going to be a crap shot. Just ask Georgia and Jacksonville.

Dollar for Dollar Hop is our best bet.

His coaching career has been on the West coast. You expect him to come in with no ties and recruit well? Mike Hopkins was a proven recruiter. How has that worked out overall when he went to the opposite coast? I’m very surprised to hear your choice here.
He knows the recruiting world very well. He knows people with east coast ties who will help.

My biggest concern would be him saying no. I believe the story was his wife didn’t want to leave LA to go to Seattle and told Hop he wasn’t coming after Jason originally said yes.

My guess she’s going to be a really tough sell on the idea of living in Syracuse.

Hop would be a Home run. How many of the coaches that we actually have a shot at have been named coach of the year in their conference twice. Have the recruiting chops that he has?
Any coach we hire is going to be a crap shot. Just ask Georgia and Jacksonville.

Dollar for Dollar Hop is our best bet.

Correction: he WOULD have been a home run back in 2019. But he's damaged his brand by crapping out the previous two seasons, barely getting to .500 this year, and losing a ton of embarrassing games earlier in the season.

He was most successful when he inherited a roster from a coach - Lorenzo Romar - who was an outstanding recruiter. As those players moved on, he's been exposed.

But there's no doubt in my mind that he'd be up to the task of maintaining the status quo -- you know, us being a .500 program.

Luckily, we can -- and will -- do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.