Potential JB successors | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
He knows the recruiting world very well. He knows people with east coast ties who will help.

My biggest concern would be him saying no. I believe the story was his wife didn’t want to leave LA to go to Seattle and told Hop he wasn’t coming after Jason originally said yes.

My guess she’s going to be a really tough sell on the idea of living in Syracuse.

Just tell her that Syracuse is like LA, except there's less traffic and more snow.

Hop would be a Home run. How many of the coaches that we actually have a shot at have been named coach of the year in their conference twice. Have the recruiting chops that he has?
Any coach we hire is going to be a crap shot. Just ask Georgia and Jacksonville.

Dollar for Dollar Hop is our best bet.
I tend to agree…with a bench coach.

W
Isn't that what assistant coaches are for?

I'll take the X's and O's so that we fix the systems on both side of the ball and put the proper foundation in place. I'm tired of one-dimensional, ugly ball.

Recruits push it over the top. But winning helps recruiting too. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone who wins at a high level just because they haven't coached at a p5 level before. No telling what he'd be able to do with the dome, mellow center, etc
What's to coach? All we do is play ISO ball. Just take the ball and shoot. Sarcasm intended!

boeheim was the golf coach with zero wins and bernie was equipment manager.

Not a path I would suggest today if your goal is a major DI head coaching position or if your goal is to successfully oversee a major DI program.

I am beyond happy that you have immeasurable, and I mean outer space,distance from the decision making process.
This is what i think of your post.
shawn-michaels.gif

Hop would be a Home run. How many of the coaches that we actually have a shot at have been named coach of the year in their conference twice. Have the recruiting chops that he has?
Any coach we hire is going to be a crap shot. Just ask Georgia and Jacksonville.

Dollar for Dollar Hop is our best bet.
Hops numbers are very poor at Washington. The only reason he will be back nextt year is $9 million in buyouts.

I knew when he walked off the court on his senior day against Villanova that Gerry would be the head coach here one day. That day is coming. He is Billy Donovan II.
Thank goodness John Wildhack rejected Jim Boeheim’s request to make GMac HCIW.

But you knew he would be SU HC. He wasn’t even a finalist for the Siena job 2 years ago and he used every contact he had.
I lived on Small Rd right next to GMac and Gorman. He is a good dude. Status quo isn’t doing well now but lets make the 2nd assistant the next HC and jump the associate HC as the next guy.

I tend to agree…with a bench coach.
So who is this “bench coach”. Someone like Martelli would be great, but who’s that guy gonna be? Not like a Tim Welsh or Seth Greenberg I hope

“Syracuse is like Hawaii most of the year, the time it’s not, it’s basketball season”……
Just give Mrs. Hart usage of a private jet and sweeten the deal.

Jason Hart is the best candidate for the range people are describing is going to be needed.

He has ties to the program, he played in the NBA, he can recruit and has upside.

If GMac and Hart are the finalists outside of people loving GMac personally their resumes aren't close and Hart is better.

So who is this “bench coach”. Someone like Martelli would be great, but who’s that guy gonna be? Not like a Tim Welsh or Seth Greenberg I hope
It’s up to the next HC you find a fired midmajor type of coach who can help and be Consigliere type.

Like John Beilein type.
Pay them decent money for a few years. They don’t recruit just help game management and running tne program.

Let’s me say this about coaching searchers….there was a recent article that addressed this. Wish I could remember where it was.

But it’s premise is that Every fan base completely overestimates the attractiveness of their program when it comes to coaching searches. Every. Stinkin. One.

Athletic Directors don’t. So when someone asks John Wildhack what the future coaching search looks like, his default response is always going to be “we’re going to do a national search because we’re Syracuse and our fans and donors deserve it”. Because that’s the only answer fans and donors want to hear generally.

And I’m sure that John will announce a national search at some point. But he’ll do so with criteria in mind. Everything he has done from a hiring perspective indicates creative solutions that preserve as many existing employees as possible or some type of Syracuse connection.

Could he look at the basketball opening differently? - sure. But I have a hard time seeing it…and quite frankly have heard to the contrary.

The other factor at play is JB. JB is never going to endorse a guy without a Syracuse connection. I would not be surprised to see him announced his retirement in September before a season to force an internal transition. John would only give that person an interim title and then do a “national search.”

There is no easy transition from JB to the next coach.
You’ve described the “JB is an inconsiderate a-hole that doesn’t want to give up control, even in retirement” scenario.

Let’s face it, even if JB does actually retire he wants to be able to stop by the Melo center and keep an eye on things. He’s going to want to remain connected and feels like he has some control or influence. His ego won’t let him completely let it go. That’s why he needs one of his guys in the seat. I’d be surprised if JW has the intestinal fortitude to go completely in a “JB free” direction.

I fear the program may linger on in mediocrity for quite a while JB works his way through retirement.

John Beilein would make a great bench coach
Red or GMac as head coach, Beilein as bench coach. Then hire 2 prominent recruiters with ties ti AAU and Weitsman. I like Jeremy Pope plus someone similar to Troy Weaver

Red or GMac as head coach, Beilein as bench coach. Then hire 2 prominent recruiters with ties ti AAU and Weitsman. I like Jeremy Pope plus someone similar to Troy Weaver

That would be terrible.

And let's be honest -- why on earth would a coach like Beilein want to work for either Red or GMac? If you're going to bring in John Beilein, just hire John Beilein to be the head coach, and benefit from his track record of success at multiple stops [Richmond, WVU, Michigan].

Why have him work under some unqualified middle man?

It will never happen, but I think Fran McCaffery would kill it here. Always enjoy watching his teams play going back to his Siena days. Best offensive coach in the country IMO and Syracuse is easier to get players to than Iowa.

This is from poster SUFan44
He did the work.

All JB assistants
Rick Pitino (1976-78) - HC Jobs (31 Years) - BU, Providence, Kentucky & Louisville, Iona Career Record: 807- 284
Bernie Fine (1976-2011) - Never HC.
Brendan Malone (1978-84) - HC Job (2 Years) - Rhode Island. Career Record: 17-39
Rick Callahan (1981-86) - Never HC.
Wayne Morgan (1984-96) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - Long Beach State, Iowa State. Career Record: 146-123
Ralph Willard (1986-87; Volunteer) - HC Jobs (19 Years) - Western Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Holy Cross. Career Record: 336-241
Tim Welsh (1988-91) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Iona, Providence. Career Record: 215-148
Scott Hicks (1991-92) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - LeMoyne, Albany, Loyola (Md.). Career Record (D1): 27-114
Tim O'Toole (1992-95) - HC Job (8 Years) - Fairfield. Career Record: 112-120
Mike Hopkins (1995-2017) - HC Job (5 Years) - Washington. Career Record: 85-75
Louis Orr (1996-2000) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Siena, Seton Hall, Bowling Green. Career Record: 201-201
Troy Weaver (2000-04) - Never HC.
Rob Murphy (2004-11) - HC Job (10 Years) - Eastern Michigan. Career Record: 166-155
Gerry McNamara (2011-Present)
Adrian Autry (2011-Present)
Allen Griffin (2017-Present)

No way do we take someone off the bench now.

Status
Not open for further replies.