Potential JB successors | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this guy has had a tremendous amount of success at the D2 level, and has not only successfully transitioned his program to D1 but in year two just had an upset win to claim the conference tournament championship.

And he's not the only candidate like this out there. People just aren't familiar with candidates from lower levels.

Sure - but the x and o's are only a part of it.

Whoever we get has to rebuild recruiting from Oak Hill up 95 through the New England preps and better know how to do it in short order.

This is why Gerry is going to be out next Head Coach. He would be a very easy choice and probably the most popular new coach of anyone. His basketball knowledge is unchallenged, IMO, guaranteed by his career at SU and sitting next to our current head coach for 11 years. He's learned a lot more from working for and with JB, a coach with almost 1,100 wins.

The pleasant surprise with GMac for me when he arrived was his ability to solidly play the point guard position and his fingerprints are all over the Syracuse record book, as he set the SU career marks for free throw percentage, three point shots made and minutes played. He finished as the fourth all-time leading scorer, third in assists, and second in steals. Most importantly he left behind a legacy of thrilling Syracuse fans for four seasons.

He is one of the most popular players in Syracuse history, he was named to the Big East third team his sophomore year, and the Big East first team his junior and senior years. If he is chosen to lead the program I guarantee there will be, as it was when he was playing, busloads of fans driving up to the Carrier Dome to see 'The Mayor of Scranton' play each home game.

Popularity doesn't get you wins but he has so much experience in so many game situations and knows how each position is supposed to be played that I believe he would the next great coach at SU. The people who want someone like Pitino or another coach like Oaks may be all over me here but this is MY choice and I'll live with the disagreements.
SU won’t win 10 freakin games with Gerry as coach!!! Not 10!!!

We need to shoot higher and we need recruiting. He has a clear ceiling that a program like SU should never touch.

You're right, we need to aim higher... Then assisting coaches who have never been head coaches before.

Which is why we need to do due diligence.

Whoever we get has to rebuild recruiting from Oak Hill up 95 through the New England preps and better know how to do it in short order.

Isn't that what assistant coaches are for?

I'll take the X's and O's so that we fix the systems on both side of the ball and put the proper foundation in place. I'm tired of one-dimensional, ugly ball.

Recruits push it over the top. But winning helps recruiting too. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone who wins at a high level just because they haven't coached at a p5 level before. No telling what he'd be able to do with the dome, mellow center, etc

I don’t have faith that Gerry or Red could bring us back to relevance.

If we were still relevant, I also don’t have faith they could maintain that.

You don’t “earn” a multi million dollar prestigious job just by having stayed there in line.

The recruiting hasn’t been there. Developing NBA talent has not been there. In game coaching, not to where a top 25 program needs to be. If This were football and Jb turned around and fired one this offseason, many of us here would say that may be the right move to right the ship.

I don’t think St Johns or Temple would hire either which tells me enough

If Red or GMac had any proven success at recruiting high major talent, I’d be happy to support them as next head coach. But they’ve both failed in recruiting over the past decade. So they aren’t proven recruiters and they have no head coaching experience. That’s why I feel they are second tier candidates for replacing JB.

But I do say this with the full expectation that one of them actually will be JB’s replacement. Syracuse is school that really hates change and I’m positive the idea of starting fresh by hiring an outside coach scares the crap out of many at SU. They will want to stick close to “Syracuse basketball identity” which means JB’s system. I fear this will ultimately end up as an extremely bad decision, and the program will suffer for 5 or 6 additional years until real change is made.
We are looking at a dozen years of being irrelevant during the regular season should we hire one of those two guys. Which will make it harder for the next guy to recruit as HS kids won't know SU as SU.

Isn't that what assistant coaches are for?

I'll take the X's and O's so that we fix the systems on both side of the ball and put the proper foundation in place. I'm tired of one-dimensional, ugly ball.

Recruits push it over the top. But winning helps recruiting too. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone who wins at a high level just because they haven't coached at a p5 level before. No telling what he'd be able to do with the dome, mellow center, etc

Before this goes off the rails - are you talking this guy specifically or outside the box types...

Tom Crean and Will Wade are available.

I kid I kid. I would give a kidney(not mine but someone else’s) to get Brad Stevens but we aren’t paying him what he would need to be coaxed back into college coaching, IMO.

Hop

If Hop turns things around at Washington, he’s candidate number one. Here’s the scenarios I have in my head by likelihood:

• Hop is successful at Washington, is hired as Cuse HC. Gerry as AHC, Red takes a low-level HC job and takes Griff with him.
  • Hop is fired at Washington. Gerry is hired as Cuse HC with Hop AHC, Red takes a low-level HC job and takes Griff with him.
  • Hop is successful at Washington or gets fired and there isn’t mutual interest in the Cuse HC position. JW does a true national search, gets a home run hire out of nowhere. One of the assistants stays on, everyone else leaves.
  • Hop is successful at Washington or gets fired and there isn’t mutual interest in the Cuse HC position. Red gets Cuse HC job, Gerry AHC and Griff gets a nice pay bump.
  • Hop is fired at Washington. Jason Hart hired as Cuse HC with Hop as AHC. Gerry stays on. Red and Griff leave.
  • Hop is successful at Washington and is hired as Cuse HC. Red as AHC, Gerry and Griff stay as is.
Appreciate the attempt to map out scenarios, but it's hard to imagine Hop ever taking a job under Hart or McNamara; even temporarily. Wildhack won't bother playing games like that. Hop has a resume with lots of zeros and 2 commas on the past pay line now.

I will say, from the knowledge I do have, many of you are underestimating the depth of the University’s pockets when it comes to them finding the guy they want for basketball.

They aren’t going clearance aisle shopping if a national search is announced.

Before this goes off the rails - are you talking this guy specifically or outside the box types...
Both. I thought that I already sufficiently qualified his age above in a earlier post.

I want coaches who know what the F they're doing. I take it that you have never seen his team play. Reminds me of Tony Bennett coached teams.

What I don't want is to settle for a coach who is just a destitute man's version of the current coach. Time to hit the reset button.

Appreciate the attempt to map out scenarios, but it's hard to imagine Hop ever taking a job under Hart or McNamara; even temporarily. Wildhack won't bother playing games like that. Hop has a resume with lots of zeros and 2 commas on the past pay line now.
Yeah no way in hell Hop comes back East to assist, his recruiting chops are well known and a West Coast team would hire him as a lead assistant in a heartbeat

Both. I thought that I already sufficiently qualified his age above in a earlier post.

I want coaches who know what the F they're doing. I take it that you have never seen his team play. Reminds me of Tony Bennett coached teams.

What I don't want is to settle for a coach who is just a destitute man's version of the current coach. Time to hit the reset button.

I'm sure he's a great coach, lots of great coaches out there that we will never talk to and look at.

Tony Bennett, like everyone else, needs talent. Right now he's on a bubble, has his own bad losses this year (and good wins). Whoever the next guy is the word "recruiting" will be mentioned very very early in the press conference.

You honestly think he's going to entertain a 65 year old guy who's never left Kentucky?

When you said age I assumed he was a 30 year old up and comer type.

By the time JB retires, this guy will be 70.

Yeah no way in hell Hop comes back East to assist, his recruiting chops are well known and a West Coast team would hire him as a lead assistant in a heartbeat

Plus - his family is still from out there.

But mostly - he won those 2 PAC COY’s with ROMAR’s players.

He hasn’t done diddly since it switched over to being all his recruits.

The handful of good players he has landed, were based on his Eastern recruiting ties -
which are long gone now.

And he hasn’t been able to win with the guys he can/does recruit -
Why would ANYBODY think he’d fare any differently here??

Hiring Hop or any of the current assistants would be the definition of insanity-
Doing the same thing, hoping for a different result.

Plus - his family is still from out there.

But mostly - he won those 2 PAC COY’s with ROMAR’s players.

He hasn’t done diddly since it switched over to being all his recruits.

The handful of good players he has landed, were based on his Eastern recruiting ties -
which are long gone now.

And he hasn’t been able to win with the guys he can/does recruit -
Why would ANYBODY think he’d fare any differently here??

Hiring Hop or any of the current assistants would be the definition of insanity-
Doing the same thing, hoping for a different result.

Amen.

That's why I'm glad we have an AD who will do due diligence, as opposed to fans who don't know what the f*** they're talking about. All due respect.
U don’t need to give me respect.

If this program hires a HS/D2 coach, we will be the laughing stock of the country.

He’s not even getting a ‘due diligence’ look.

There is absolutely no way we are hiring a 64 year old guy with no ties to northeast recruiting. C’mon.

We’ll be coming off an era where everyone is bitching about the age of the current coach.

That is an impossible sell to donors.

I'm sure he's a great coach, lots of great coaches out there that we will never talk to and look at.

Tony Bennett, like everyone else, needs talent. Right now he's on a bubble, has his own bad losses this year (and good wins). Whoever the next guy is the word "recruiting" will be mentioned very very early in the press conference.

See, I'm a purist. I want systems on both sides of the ball that are fun to watch. I want players who demonstrate high hoops IQ, and know how to play on both sides of the ball.I want to see lots of assists to made field goals. I'm tired of being one-dimensional and easy to defend. I'm tired of systems on defense that teams figure out and torch, and we have no plan B to go to.

And like 7:21's post perfectly laid out, the in-house candidates people keep talking about are just going to continue this cycle of mediocrity where mired in. Why? Because none of them know anything other than the system JB utilizes. You need look no further than Washington to see how much Hopkins has switched things up.

Again, I know that 99% of college basketball fans on this board have never heard of bellermine. They've never watched those teams play. If they did, they'd understand exactly what I mean with respect to quality coaching, players who work well together, and systems that are effective. There's a reason that this guy won a national championship, and wins at an extremely high level, even now that they've jumped up a level to division 1.

Last edited:
U don’t need to give me respect.

If this program hires a HS/D2 coach, we will be the laughing stock of the country.

He’s not even getting a ‘due diligence’ look.
He's a division one coach.

And for Illustrative purposes, he's exponentially more qualified than either red or GMAC. That's the point.

See, I'm a purist. I want systems on both sides of the ball that are fun to watch. I want players who demonstrate high hoops IQ, and know how to play on both sides of the ball.I want to see lots of assists to made field goals. I'm tired of being one-dimensional and easy to defend. I'm tired of systems on defense that teams figure out and torch, and we have no plan B to go to.

And like 7:21's post perfectly laid out, the in-house candidates people keep talking about are just going to continue this cycle of mediocrity where mired in. Why? Because none of them know anything other than the system JB utilizes. You need look no further than Washington to see how much Hopkins has switched things up.

Again, I know that 99% of college basketball fans on this board have never heard of bellermine. They've never watched those teams play. If they did, they'd understand exactly what I mean with respect to quality coaching, players who work well together, and systems that are effective. There's a reason that this guy wanted national championship, and wins at an extremely high level, even now that they've jumped up a level to division 1.
Has defense really been our problem?
I know this season was but haven’t we been one of the better defensive teams in the country for awhile?

Again, I know that 99% of college basketball fans on this board have never heard of bellermine. They've never watched those teams play. If they did, they'd understand exactly what I mean with respect to quality coaching, players who work well together, and systems that are effective. There's a reason that this guy wanted national championship, and wins at an extremely high level, even now that they've jumped up a level to division 1.

It's a dirty, impure world :)

On 721 Hop in 2017 is way different (and better) than Hop in 2023 or whenever. But that's a different tangent.

We recruit guys (well not this bunch) that want to go to the NBA, that compete against Duke and UNC, etc etc...I think this is going to be a lot like Desko, replacing JB with a guy that can recruit (and retain) top talent where we need to recruit top talent and sell it to the fanbase, season ticket holders, and donors.'

JW is also trying to raise 150 million dollars, he needs more salespeople.

Here’s my due diligence.

Scott Drew.

Syracuse > baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.