Potential JB successors | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Potential JB successors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very bad optics to promote the younger white assistant over the older, African American “Associate Head Coach”.
If it’s the bench, it’s gotta be AA.
I’ll give you credit for at least acknowledging this as a factor that will undoubtably play a part.

It should never play any part.
You must not live in 2022. It most definitely plays a part. Whether you like it or not, it plays a part.

If GMac is the future of Syracuse basketball, then the school is better off telling Red his time at SU is over.

The constant use of the zone needs to be stopped. It's like the Dodo bird, it's extinct.
Need to go back to the way we played in the 1980's and early 90's. Aggressive man to man, with some press. Then occasionally throw in some zone.
It’s not the zone, it’s the players. This group could not play man or zone

It should never play any part.
If you pass over the more senior, more experienced, candidate and the differentiators are “intangibles”, it’s an issue.
I did not say that race should be a factor, but given the givens, bypassing Red for Gerry could be a PR problem.
Now, if Gerry were the Associate HC, and was bypassed for Red, that could also bea PR issue.

You must not live in 2022. It most definitely plays a part. Whether you like it or not, it plays a part.

If GMac is the future of Syracuse basketball, then the school is better off telling Red his time at SU is over.
Read what i wrote.

If you pass over the more senior, more experienced, candidate and the differentiators are “intangibles”, it’s an issue.
I did not say that race should be a factor, but given the givens, bypassing Red for Gerry could be a PR problem.
Now, if Gerry were the Associate HC, and was bypassed for Red, that could also bea PR issue.
I actually think its already been decided that Red is the next coach

Is JB the AD? I’m sure he will have a say but I find it hard to believe that JW won’t at least look outside the program. I think an internal candidate might make sense when the program is in a good place but we are not. I think cleaning house makes the most sense because whether people want to believe it or not, the assistants are responsible for this dumpster fire too

This.

If we hire from within it will be proof positive that mediocrity and irrelevance is fine to continue and a real statement of purpose (or lack thereof.)

Read what i wrote.
Completely understand what you wrote. I think you are having trouble understanding the factors that are at play, even when people continue to explain them to you.

It’s cool you want GMac. Just don’t ignore all of the circumstances and factors that could lead to him not getting the job.

I agree with those saying Shaheen but he will likely get scooped up this off season. His St Peters team is tough.

I agree with those saying Shaheen but he will likely get scooped up this off season. His St Peters team is tough.
Seton Hall when Williard goes to Maryland

If Autry isn't the next guy he would be wise to sound out George Washington for their job.

This.

If we hire from within it will be proof positive that mediocrity and irrelevance is fine to continue and a real statement of purpose (or lack thereof.)
It will absolutely show that SU doesn't care about its fans.

Any time up until 2018 I'd have accepted an internal hire. 2019-21 it would have been a closer call, though I wanted an outside search. This year, no.

A good friend of mine, behind the scenes, says that Larry Larrañaga, Miami Hurricanes head basketball coach will be our new head coach for the Syracuse mens basketball team in the 2022-2023 season.
Larrys been winning and closed out 2022 with a 22-9, 14-6 record.
“Fact is, he's a much younger coach and the visual transition will be easy for the fans to adjust to.” said an unreliable source who wished to remain anonymous.

92B11C63-1AF1-46CB-818B-970FEC2BF4A5.jpeg

Ostensibly, the same reasons why the AD might believe Red or Gerry are 'qualified' to be the next head coach would be the same as those when Hopkins was designated HCiW. The same as for Scheyer at Duke. Boeheim himself. The same for any assistant promoted in any program in any sport throughout history. The same for anyone in any job in any industry who gets a promotion. The person has demonstrated "acumen" and intelligence and passion and competency at important skills. That's not "proof" they'll succeed in the next chair, but neither is success at a small program, leading to being labeled 'the next big thing.' It's probably more comfortable to believe that HC success on any level is proof, but that's as context-driven as failure. And, with bringing in an outsider, you're relying on a resumé, not a relationship and personal experience.

That all said, i'm not campaigning for the internals. Actually, having seen a few hours of teams in this tournament, i'm more fully on the side of wanting completely new blood and a complete overhaul. It's not that Red or GMac can't correct the course, but i fear they're both too ensconced in an ethos that is old hat, and i can't trust that they'd be inclined, inspired, or capable of breaking out of the JAB mold.
I think this pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. It's not exactly rare for schools with a history like ours to promote from within. Detractors can obviously say this program isn't what it once was and therefore we shouldn't make a legacy/continuity type of hire. I get that and I tend to agree; I would love to hire a good, proven coach from outside.

My guess (no inside info outside of what some of you have told us) would be that we will end up going with a legacy hire, be it Hop, Red, Gerry, etc.

I'm kinda content with it; I think there's at least a chance that even if we don't overhaul our offense/defensive systems, simply having new blood leading the program could get us back on track. I'd still prefer to go outside the program but I just don't view it as being likely. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Completely understand what you wrote. I think you are having trouble understanding the factors that are at play, even when people continue to explain them to you.

It’s cool you want GMac. Just don’t ignore all of the circumstances and factors that could lead to him not getting the job.
To be clear. I want in order.
Pitino
Hop
Gmac
Red.

After that i want a Young East coast Coach with great ties to NYC Philly and the DC areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.