Practice Report from the Melo Center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report from the Melo Center

Nice report. One of the above comments mentioned leadership and made me think...who will be the team leader this year, the player who keep them all together? So many new faces, and players who have played very little. Rak? He certainly is a role model with already earning his degree, but I'm not sure I see him as a floor leader.

Thank you RF for the report... Does your dad (or anyone) know whether those pics of dc3 from last spring where he was skinny were legit or not?

Thank you RF for the report... Does your dad (or anyone) know whether those pics of dc3 from last spring where he was skinny were legit or not?

100% legit. Coleman began juicing last winter [seems funny to type that about an athlete, but just to be clear, I'm talking about a diet where he substitutes juice that provides all of the nutrients he needs for food] to shed a few quick pounds before surgery, to help make his rehab / recovery a bit easier, and the kid apparently just has incredible willpower and stuck with it. He's down 40 or so pounds from last year.

Last edited:
I might agree about Gbinije but not Christmas. He will be our defensive leader this year. He should assert himself more in the post on the offensive side too. But he is our leader on d. I don't think 3 blocks and 5 1/2 boards is out of the question.

Anything less than 5.5 boards is a disappointment. I understand the zone benefits the forwards for rebounding, but Rak should be close to 7 easily, imo, with all the minutes he will garner.

Thanks RF.

I'm looking forward to Rak's ion-court performance this year. ;)

100% legit. Coleman began juicing last winter [seems funny to type that about an athlete, but just to be clear, I'm talking about a diet where he substitutes juice for food] to shed a few quick pounds before surgery, to help make his rehab / recovery a bit easier, and the kid apparently just has incredible willpower and stuck with it. He's down 40 or so pounds from last year.
Thanks for clarifying, when you said juicing, my first though was Barry Bonds...I think he ends up redshirting. It's too bad, after he lost all that weight. I agree it take tremendous willpower. But hopefully that means he'll work hard on his game and come back much improved.

Nice report. One of the above comments mentioned leadership and made me think...who will be the team leader this year, the player who keep them all together? So many new faces, and players who have played very little. Rak? He certainly is a role model with already earning his degree, but I'm not sure I see him as a floor leader.
Trevor

Agreed.

However, they just don't seem to be those type of players/guys. Some thrive in that role, others just don't.

I think Gbinije can be that player. He wasn't given an opportunity at Duke, and he was thrown into a peculiar situation here at SU. The best that we can hope for is that he embraces his role on this team as a guard and becomes a leader. I saw it last year, he showed glimpses of a guy that can pull us back into, or keep us in games.

As for Rak, he's now a senior and I think JB will give him some more slack. I think he has it, and I think he knows its his time to shine, the NBA is there.

I'm much more worried about Cooney's consistency, Coleman's health and our ability to limit turnovers.

whenever i see someone get called "RF" i think of this guy

mr-furley.jpg
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I think of this guy (My avatar) GOAT

...I think he ends up redshirting. It's too bad, after he lost all that weight. I agree it take tremendous willpower. But hopefully that means he'll work hard on his game and come back much improved.
Agree w/ this- which makes Obokoh as our backup one of THE crucial question marks for the season. Wonder what's the word on his progress...

Anything less than 5.5 boards is a disappointment. I understand the zone benefits the forwards for rebounding, but Rak should be close to 7 easily, imo, with all the minutes he will garner.
it all depends on his minutes . . . and that depends on his ability to keep his fouls to a minimum. If he plays the same 23mpg that he managed last year, he'll be hard pressed to top 6rpg even if he has another excellent rebounding percentage number.

I want to see him stay on the floor for at least 28mpg . . . everything else will fall into place if that happens.

100% legit. Coleman began juicing last winter [seems funny to type that about an athlete, but just to be clear, I'm talking about a diet where he substitutes juice for food] to shed a few quick pounds before surgery, to help make his rehab / recovery a bit easier, and the kid apparently just has incredible willpower and stuck with it. He's down 40 or so pounds from last year.

I started juicing at the beginning of the summer, dropped 15 pounds over a few weeks and have easily kept it off. I drink a "green dream" for breakfast, a "berry bliss" for lunch then have a high protein dinner (usually chicken or fish).

This is for all you men of a certain age out there: we should be drinking a lot, if not most, of our meals when we reach middle age - our colons & prostates will thank us

Excellent report. I'll take any [good] Syracuse basketball news I can get.

I do have to say, though, I was surprised by the Kaleb Joseph comments regarding his size/strength. Looking at his physique and playing style in high school, I got the impression that he was above average strength for a PG, and bigger/stronger than the PG's we've had in recent memory. Kinda pictured a bigger version of Jonny Flynn.

I want to qualify all of this in advance by pointing out that this report wont convey anything earth shattering. But I saw the post yesterday clamoring for information from practice, and thought I'd pass along a few tidbits. I apologize in advance that this is second hand, from my father, who had the opportunity to go up to the Melo Center last week to catch about two hours of one of the team's early preseason practices. It's tough to draw any definitive conclusions from just one practice--especially with young players--but nonetheless he had some interesting observations. In no particular order...

• What do you do when you have a team full of new faces, many of whom have never played significant minutes at he collegiate level? Answer: you spend a lot of time in preseason teaching them principles of the defensive system. The coaching staff was taking advantage of the new rules allowing teams to start practicing earlier in the fall by having this largely green group team focus on zone defense--spacing, movement, switches, hedging out on shooters, etc. It wasn't a full practice in the sense where they scrimmaged--it was all drills and defense, so everything he saw was mostly in contrived, half court situations. No fast breaks or transition scoring opportunities. Offense came only in the context of the team working on zone defense.
  • In terms of the looks test, McCullough looks like a bigger, stronger, potentially better version of Jerami Grant. Nice muscle definition for an incoming frosh. Active rebounder.
  • On that last point, it looks thinks we're going to be a much better rebounding team this year. McCullough / Roberson = better tandem on he boards than Fair / Grant were last year. Both of these kids seem to have a nose for the ball. Rak rebounded well, too. Frontcourt should be really strong, especially on the offensive glass.
  • When they rotated onto offense as JB ran guys in and out of roations on both sides of the ball, Roberson and McCullough both looked to put the ball up when the opportunity presented itself. Neither one of them had a particularly strong day shooting the ball, but both displayed solid form--the shots just weren't dropping.
  • Rak looks much more assertive, although how that translates into on-court performance is anybody's guess. Hit that medium range jumper that he started showing confidence in last year, and showed that he could finish inside with that little hook when challenged. He looks even stronger than last year, really looking to carve out position in the low post. But like usual, we never feed the post. My father mentioned that it is impossible to know what we're going to get from Rak [it could be 4/4 or it could be 12/9], but that he looks poised for a big year. Which we need from him as the team's lone experienced big.
  • BJ shot the ball better than Roberson / McCullough, and looks like he's going to get quite a bit of run this year. Taller than last year, but according to my dad he still looks like a human hyphen. BJ's dad has posted pictures on the forum all offseason, and I think BJ has clearly added some good weight / size / mass, but that speaks to how skinny he was coming in. According to my dad, BJ looks like he has a size 24 waist--unbelievably thin, in other words. But he's got length and bounce, and looked comfortable putting the ball on the floor and attacking. Nice versatility. Again, this was in half court drills, not full court game action, where he might really excel
  • Since the majority of practice was spent working on zone defense with a lot of new faces, Boeheim was quite animated, stopping practice several times to correct players and provide instruction when players were out of position. New team, lots of new faces stepping into bigger roles--so no surprise there.
  • My dad mentioned that he didn't see Joseph shoot the ball one time the entire two hours. He was running the offense in the drills, and just didn't shoot. This isn't a good nor bad thing--just how practice went down. Someone from the Syracuse newspapers also in attendance mentioned to my dad that when he'd seem practice the previous week, Joseph seemed to shoot it pretty well--especially mid range / in the lane.
  • Another observation about Joseph was that he looked very skinny, too. Not BJ skinny, but like a true frosh who needs to get in the weigt room. My father's comment: "I hope he doesn't get muscled off of the ball defensively."
  • Cooney looked fine. Spent most of the practice on defense, not really shooting. Again, as with Joseph above, that's just the way that practice ebbed and flowed.
  • Gbinije looked like he was a little bit stronger--noticably more cut--and more aggressive offensively. Take that with a grain of salt--this wasn't a live game or even a scrimmage, but Gbinije appeared to be looking to score more. Last year, he looked more like he was just trying to fit in. This year, he's more assertive.
  • One final note--the skuttlebutt from the Melo Center is that Coleman playing this year is totally 50/50 at this point. The coaching staff just doesn't know yet how quickly he'll bounce back, and it is impossible to speculate until they see what he can do [or can't do]. Point being, none of the reports out of summer about Coleman are being evasive--they literally can't project how far along his recovery will be until he's cleared to do more.
Like I said, nothing earth shattering. It will be interesting to see how the team looks when they begin full scrimmages in practice, and open the offense up a little instead of focusing the entire session on defensive basics.

Lots of question marks entering this year! I don't think that I can remember an SU team that had as many unknowns as this one has. Will be fun to see how it all plays out!

Let's Go Orange!!!

RF = the undisputed King of aesthetically pleasing posts.

I might agree about Gbinije but not Christmas. He will be our defensive leader this year. He should assert himself more in the post on the offensive side too. But he is our leader on d. I don't think 3 blocks and 5 1/2 boards is out of the question.
On the contrary my friend. Gbinije is at his best when he has to shoulder much of the burden or when the chips are down. And that is why I believe that things are setup pretty nicely for him to have success this year.

Last year he was playing not to make a mistake because he knew he was on a short leash as Coach B seems to do with certain players. This year however I expect him to play loose and aggressively. For this team to have any success this year Cooney and Gbinije have to put up points because they will be the primary scorers on this team.

RF says take it with it a grain of salt that Gbinije appears aggressive and seems to be looking to score more, but I'd say if you are into sodium, then take with a table spoon of salt because he will be lighting it up this season.

Take it from a very reliable source. He has been given the green light despite the fact that he will be coming off the bench.

GO ORANGE!

On the contrary my friend. Gbinije is at his best when he has to shoulder much of the burden or when the chips are down. And that is why I believe that things are setup pretty nicely for him to have success this year.

Last year he was playing not to make a mistake because he knew he was on a short leash as Coach B seems to do with certain players. This year however I expect him to play loose and aggressively. For this team to have any success this year Cooney and Gbinije have to put up points because they will be the primary scorers on this team.

RF says take it with it a grain of salt that Gbinije appears aggressive and seems to be looking to score more, but I'd say if you are into sodium, then take with a table spoon of salt because he will be lighting it up this season.

Take it from a very reliable source. He has been given the green light despite the fact that he will be coming off the bench.

GO ORANGE!
Now both you and RF have me believing!

Cooney and Gbinije will be the primary scorers on this team.
Cooney maybe, but it's much more likely that the two starting forwards will be the team's primary scorers.

Not to say consistent production from TC/MG will not be crucial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom