Pre-Spring Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pre-Spring Depth Chart

He redshirted last year correct? I thought he'd be pretty good but haven't heard anyone post much of anything on him.

According to suathletics.com, Manley played in the UConn game. So it depends on how dependable that website is. It would be odd that they would blow a true freshman's redshirt on one game, but it wouldn't be the first time I guess.

Tomcat's post last week about strong safety has me very concerned. I think we need to find someone between now and the summer if we can, rather than rely on someone we convert.

Wayne Morgan will be our strong safety or Darius Kelly.

I guess I'm not quite ready for full basketball mode. I enjoyed the football season way too much, so I'm still thinking about the football team for a few more days at least.

So here's my stab at how the depth chart is looking like going into the spring (incoming summer recruits not included).

Spring non-participants in red...

QB - Charley Loeb, Sr.
John Kinder, Jr. / Terrel Hunt, So.

RB - *Jerome Smith, Jr.
Tyson Gulley, TSr. / Adonis Moore, TJr. / George Morris, Fr. / Steve Rene, Jr. / Miles Davis, Fr.

WR - *Jarrod West, Jr.
Jeremiah Kobena, TJr. / Chris Clark, TSr. / Keenan Hale, So.

WR - Quinta Funderburk, So.
Adrian Flemming, TSr. / Kyle Foster, So. / Ben Lewis, Fr.

TE - Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Josh Parris, Fr. / Max Beulieux, Jr.

TE - *Beckett Wales, TSr.
Ron Thompson, Fr. / Ben Barrett, Fr.

LT - Andy Phillips, Sr.
Kyle Knapp, Fr. / Jonathan Burton, TFr.

LG - Ivan Foy, So.
Omari Palmer, Fr.

C - *Macky MacPherson, TSr.
Jason Emerich, Fr.

RG - *Rob Trudo, So.
John Miller, Jr.

RT - *Sean Hickey, Jr.
Nick Robinson, So.

RE - *Marcus Brewster, TSr.
Donnie Simmons, So. / Rob Welsh, Jr.

NT - Eric Crume, TJr.
Ryan Sloan, So. / Zian Jones, TSr. / Marcus Coleman, Fr.

DT - *Jay Bromley, TSr.
John Raymon, So. / Davon Walls, TSr.

LE - Micah Robinson, Jr.
Josh Manley, TSo.

WLB - *Dyshawn Davis, TJr.
Lewellyn Coker, TSr. / Josh Kirkland, TJr.

MLB - *Marquis Spruill, TSr.
James Washington, Fr. / Luke Arciniega, Jr.

SLB - Cam Lynch, TJr.
Oliver Vigille, So.

CB - *Brandon Reddish, TJr.
*Rishard Anderson, Sr. / Jaston George, So.

CB - Keon Lyn, TSr.
Julian Whigham, TSo. / Alvin Cornelius, Fr.

FS - *Jeremi Wilkes, TSr.
Durell Eskridge, So.

SS - Ritchy Desir, TJr.
Wayne Morgan, TSo. / DeVante McFarlane, Fr.

*returning starter

Nice work.

I would list the three WR positions separately if you are going to list the TE positions separately. And yes, I agree with whoever it was that had Foster listed as the 3rd WR. That kid can play.

Broyld is a tough one to deal with when doing a depth chart. He doesn't really fit in anywhere.

I see you have Cornelius at CB. Could well be. We have too many players at WR and not enough at CB. We needed to get a CB in the class of 2013 and didn't do it (though Estime definitely could play there). We are losing two seniors at CB after 2013, and if Morgan gets moved, we just have Reddish, Whigham and George to play CB in 2014. And possibly Scissum. Something needs to be done. Cornelius or Estime makes sense. Given how often we play against 3 and 4 WR sets, maybe both should be moved there.

It would make sense to me to play Alvin at CB part of the spring and see what he can do there.

If Morgan gets moved to SS as expected, I would be surprised to see McFarlane moved there as well. Darius Kelly is coming in the fall and I know the staff thinks Scissum will end up at safety as well.

It is my understanding that Cam Lynch was quietly moved to the MIKE position during the off season. I think he is the favorite to win that position right now, though Luke brings some interesting skills to the table. Pretty sure they will leave Coker there and give him a shot too. The battle for the starting position at the MIKE should be a good one...three talented athletes with very different skill sets and backgrounds. I think the staff wants Luke to win the job with the thinking he will be the best guy to stop the run. It would also free Cam to move back to the Okie package and that pseudo linebacker/defensive back position from which he was so effective last season, especially late in the year.

The Okie package is really our primary defensive set, so when we make these charts, we should probably be thinking that way. In reality, most of the time we are probably only going to play 3 DL. I think they are usually going to be Bromley, Raymon and Brewster, though all will be rotated in and out on a regular basis.

As for the normal 4-3 alignment, you have completely forgotten Wayne Williams. I don't think he is going to start but I expect he will split time with Crume at NT, with Bromley and Raymon splitting most of the time at DT (when we play the 4-3).

Nice work.

I would list the three WR positions separately if you are going to list the TE positions separately. And yes, I agree with whoever it was that had Foster listed as the 3rd WR. That kid can play.

Broyld is a tough one to deal with when doing a depth chart. He doesn't really fit in anywhere.

I see you have Cornelius at CB. Could well be. We have too many players at WR and not enough at CB. We needed to get a CB in the class of 2013 and didn't do it (though Estime definitely could play there). We are losing two seniors at CB after 2013, and if Morgan gets moved, we just have Reddish, Whigham and George to play CB in 2014. And possibly Scissum. Something needs to be done. Cornelius or Estime makes sense. Given how often we play against 3 and 4 WR sets, maybe both should be moved there.

It would make sense to me to play Alvin at CB part of the spring and see what he can do there.

If Morgan gets moved to SS as expected, I would be surprised to see McFarlane moved there as well. Darius Kelly is coming in the fall and I know the staff thinks Scissum will end up at safety as well.

It is my understanding that Cam Lynch was quietly moved to the MIKE position during the off season. I think he is the favorite to win that position right now, though Luke brings some interesting skills to the table. Pretty sure they will leave Coker there and give him a shot too. The battle for the starting position at the MIKE should be a good one...three talented athletes with very different skill sets and backgrounds. I think the staff wants Luke to win the job with the thinking he will be the best guy to stop the run. It would also free Cam to move back to the Okie package and that pseudo linebacker/defensive back position from which he was so effective last season, especially late in the year.

The Okie package is really our primary defensive set, so when we make these charts, we should probably be thinking that way. In reality, most of the time we are probably only going to play 3 DL. I think they are usually going to be Bromley, Raymon and Brewster, though all will be rotated in and out on a regular basis.

As for the normal 4-3 alignment, you have completely forgotten Wayne Williams. I don't think he is going to start but I expect he will split time with Crume at NT, with Bromley and Raymon splitting most of the time at DT (when we play the 4-3).

Great stuff. This is why I make threads like these...for the informative responses.

Very interesting to hear Lynch was actually the one moved to MLB. That will be fun to watch in spring practice. Is James Washington an outside linebacker?

I haven't forgotten about WW but he's not arriving until the summer at the very earliest. Hopefully he earns his associate's so he is eligible for the 2013 season.

[

Tyson Gulley, TSr.

NT - Eric Crume, TJr.

Red = spring non-particpant? What does that mean? Did I miss something? Off-season maintenance?

[

Tyson Gulley, TSr.

NT - Eric Crume, TJr.

Red = spring non-particpant? What does that mean? Did I miss something? Off-season maintenance?
Shoulder surgery for both along with Gulley.

I just can't get the image out of my mind of Eskridge doing an "Ole" on the big Cincinnati tight end. If he's not a hitter, he probably doesn't belong at SS.

Oh geez, thanks for waking the demons and reminding us of that play.

I'm a little late to the party on this post, but good job on the breakdown of the depth chart. I agree that we probably have the most talent on both sides of the ball here in a very long time. We are absolutely loaded at the RB, WR, TE and DL positions with quality and quantity. Although we have strong potential starting units at the OL, LB and DB positions, we are pretty thin and a key injury or two would really hurt at those spots. Obviously, we have more guys coming in the fall, but with the possible exception of a few guys (i.e. Kelly) it would be nice to not have to use the freshmen right away to fill in the gaps.

Obviously, we have more guys coming in the fall, but with the possible exception of a few guys (i.e. Kelly) it would be nice to not have to use the freshmen right away to fill in the gaps.
All the JUCO guys should get a shot at proving whether they're ready to contribute right away.
Also, Estime might get a shot at being a kick returner right away.

All the JUCO guys should get a shot at proving whether they're ready to contribute right away.
Also, Estime might get a shot at being a kick returner right away.
I thought that RDesir did a very good job on Punt returns.

I thought so too. I would assume he'll be doing that again this year.

I thought so too. I would assume he'll be doing that again this year.

He will be in for a battle with Estime. That kid looks like he could be a Hester type back there. Who knows how it will shake out, but I think they have high hopes for him on ST.

He will be in for a battle with Estime. That kid looks like he could be a Hester type back there. Who knows how it will shake out, but I think they have high hopes for him on ST.
He might not even qualify, let's take a step back there.

He might not even qualify, let's take a step back there.

That's why I said "no idea how it shakes out." Obviously, if he's not on the team - it will be hard for him to contribute. Here's to hoping. I'd rather have both than one.

I also thought Desir did well on punt returns. He did a good job locating the ball, catching it, and getting what he could.

However, he didn't strike me as a guy that had it in him to go house. Obviously that had a lot to do with how the return unit set up their blocks, but I hope we can find a bigger "game-breaker" to put back there on 4th down next year.

I also thought Desir did well on punt returns. He did a good job locating the ball, catching it, and getting what he could.

However, he didn't strike me as a guy that had it in him to go house. Obviously that had a lot to do with how the return unit set up their blocks, but I hope we can find a bigger "game-breaker" to put back there on 4th down next year.
he almost did take one to the house last year, got down to the 15 if i remember correctly...

Raymon and Bromley will both start.

Cam has a real chance of winning the Mike.

Don't forget about Donnie Simmons. Kid is making waves.

1 maybe 2 of the WRs will be moved.

This D is LOADED this year. Will be the clear strength of this team.

I fully expect Knapp to be starting, since we didn't take a JUCO, the writing is on the wall there.

Foy/Palmer should be a good battle. Palmer is a big boy.

I expect Raymon to be starting, from all accounts the coaches are pumped about him. Him and Bromley together should be fun to watch.

Don't see Wilkes starting at safety, someone else is going to step up, whether it's Morgan, Kelly, not sure.

Expect Arciniega at MLB, you don't bring a JUCO like him in unless you expect him to have a strong shot at starting and putting Spruill at MLB negates that. He's got the physical tools to be successful at MLB.

Oh and there's no way in the world Ron Thompson doesn't start if he's healthy. He's just as talented as Broyld but he actually is a TE.

Oh and there's no way in the world Ron Thompson doesn't start if he's healthy. He's just as talented as Broyld but he actually is a TE.
...and has excellent hands. That's one of the major differences.