Prediction on staff and players | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Prediction on staff and players

I don't think so. But if he did that would be a big indicator he won't run any zone.
Man/zone - don’t matter. If it wasn’t a player you handpicked and you’re not on board. Yank it like you’re pulling a mower.

Man/zone - don’t matter. If it wasn’t a player you handpicked and you’re not on board. Yank it like you’re pulling a mower.

I don't think it's advisable to turn away any players when you're taking over a roster that's about to see half of the current players bounce. He'll have plenty of space for anybody he wants to/can bring in. Patterson is a physically gifted player with, what sounds like by most accounts, a ton of potential. I say stick with him and if it doesn't work out Patterson can transfer and play somewhere else immediately, so no harm, no foul.

Why would GMac stay?

He needs to spread his wings. Somebody said get a head coaches job at a small school in NYS. I think PA has a lot of colleges he could cut his teeth at, as well, and he is a legend in those parts.

I am curious about Taylor. He did not leave the bench in our last few games. Is he injured, poor practices or just in the dog house? How will this impact his interest in staying?
yeah i noticed that playing time the last games was different. quadir and benny became more prominent and hima and taylor stopped playing...could be foreshadowing...or could be nothing...but it was noticable

He needs to spread his wings. Somebody said get a head coaches job at a small school in NYS. I think PA has a lot of colleges he could cut his teeth at, as well, and he is a legend in those parts.
Agreed. And if he does really well at a mid-major, that gives the program another option too in case it doesn't work out with Red. I'm 100% behind Red and hoping for his success, but if he doesn't succeed it would be good to know GMac is a hot new candidate (although if Red doesn't succeed I think there'd be a lot of pressure to hire an outside candidate, but if GMac is trending up he'd be hard to pass on).

yeah i noticed that playing time the last games was different. quadir and benny became more prominent and hima and taylor stopped playing...could be foreshadowing...or could be nothing...but it was noticable
Hima had been playing a lot less before that, but Taylor disappearing was definitely weird.

Griff is going to stay on, Gmac will be a HC at a smaller NY school
I’m not sure if he’d want to come back. But honestly, if Hop is let go at UW, it makes a lot of sense to reach out and see if he wants to return to Central New York. He and the staff are close, from what I understand. Though he may have head coaching opportunities at some mid majors.

Hima not playing was probably due to Jesse being good. Taylor not playing was probably because he wasn’t productive in his minutes.
Hima was always meant to play to keep Jesse out of foul trouble. As Jesse learned to foul less, Hima's minutes dwindled. There was never any chance JB wanted Jesse off the floor unless necessary.

I don't think it's advisable to turn away any players when you're taking over a roster that's about to see half of the current players bounce. He'll have plenty of space for anybody he wants to/can bring in. Patterson is a physically gifted player with, what sounds like by most accounts, a ton of potential. I say stick with him and if it doesn't work out Patterson can transfer and play somewhere else immediately, so no harm, no foul.
I can't seem to find anything on Patterson. Can you share any info you have?

I’m not sure if he’d want to come back. But honestly, if Hop is let go at UW, it makes a lot of sense to reach out and see if he wants to return to Central New York. He and the staff are close, from what I understand. Though he may have head coaching opportunities at some mid majors.
I can't imagine in a million years that Hop would come back in an assistant role when he was the coach in waiting. I guess he might if he didn't have any other options but that would be a tough pill to swallow here at Cuse.

Jon Bol Ajak is the first player officially in the portal. Obviously this was not unexpected, but who will be next?

If Jesse leaves priority #1 is getting a transfer center. I think by far. Judah staying would be the biggest development of the off-season though.

Mintz and Edwards must be confirmed one way or another first because that will change the entire offseason plans. Assume JG3 is leaving so we need ACC player to replace him.

If Jesse leaves priority #1 is getting a transfer center. I think by far. Judah staying would be the biggest development of the off-season though.
Yeah, well said.

I have no idea how we replace Judah, short of Quadir making a huge leap. We're not getting a baller highschool guy. Portal feels dicey for not just a point, but that level of scorer. It's just a lot of production that's not easily replaced.

Replacing Jesse seems extremely difficult, but is theoretically possible with the portal, plus it feels like a guy that's 75% of Jesse still puts us in pretty good shape at the 5.

Hima definitely regressed as the season progressed but I am not against him potentially getting heavy run next year. Early in the season he had a Chukwu-esque defensive presence in the middle of the zone. Changed the way opponents attacked us. I am in support of Hima playing, especially if we play zone
Not sure he really regressed. Seemed like he stopped getting opportunities. I remember him not playing very well in one game and then we stopped seeing him get meaningful minutes.

I can't imagine in a million years that Hop would come back in an assistant role when he was the coach in waiting. I guess he might if he didn't have any other options but that would be a tough pill to swallow here at Cuse.
I agree it would be a tough pill to swallow. Unless he saw it as a side stepping stone to help get the program back on track and set himself up for another good head coaching gig. I love Hop. He shoulda been the head coach here if JB had followed the plan.

I do hope Red doesn’t follow the formula of 100 percent zone and that he installs a more analytics-driven modern offense.

Last edited:
I agree it would be a tough pill to swallow. Unless he saw it as a side stepping stone to help get the program back on track and set himself up for another good head coaching gig. I love Hop. He shoulda been the head coach here if JB had followed the plan.

I hope Red doesn’t follow the formula of 100 percent zone and that he installs a more analytics-driven modern offense.

Per Bulldog who has a solid take on Red - zone won't be in the mix.

Doubt it. It’s griffs recruit
Was it griff's handpicked recruit or the recruit JB assigned to Griff? I think that makes a little bit of a difference.

So Re: Benny..

In his last 4 he averaged 13 and 7, and was 9-13 from 3. Had 5 steals vs Wake yesterday too. He ended the season shooting 39.6 pct from 3.

Also - that includes, in his last 4, an 8 min stint in Wake1 of all zeroes and 1 board.

Color me intrigued if Red can bring him back and we get this Benny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom