Preemptive Bring Back 44 Thread | Syracusefan.com

Preemptive Bring Back 44 Thread

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Think this is a tool Fran intends to bring back and unleash?

Not necessarily posting this because of the RB flip.

But we have the guy to give it the hype it deserves and give it back the respect it once commanded.

IMG_4112.jpeg

If one of our board genies can put a Cuse FB jersey 44 on this, we can start a social media campaign.. let’s go

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the combination of the University trademark on the 44, and NIL allowing players to make $ on their name and likeness, including jersey and number, make it a legal and logistical nightmare. It's absolutely doable but would require a level of mutual compromise that doesn't exist in 2023.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but the combination of the University trademark on the 44, and NIL allowing players to make $ on their name and likeness, including jersey and number, make it a legal and logistical nightmare. It's absolutely doable but would require a level of mutual compromise that doesn't exist in 2023.
It’s very doable. Everybody has room to eat on this.

I know fans care but the player has to as well. It has been a long time...
See….I hear people say this a lot but just because the kid may not know the legendary 44s specifically, a lot of them have elders/mentors & role models who do. They get how meaningful that number is.

in addition, the horrendous decision to retire it sort of took it out of the public domain making the first point a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The early returns when looking at this staff, the social media involvement and NIL possibilities make me think it could be a significant recruiting tool.

They could really do some terrific stuff with it. Hoping it happens soon.

SUOrange44

I just want to see it on the field again. The player shouldn't have to meet some unattainable standard either. That was never part of the tradition. Not every #22 in lacrosse will make the HOF either, and that's OK.

Notice the guys making the NFL, the first thing they do is grab #44. They wanted to wear it here.

Permanently retiring it was just another bad idea by a west coast visitor.

While we're at it, I think the top QB at SU should be wearing #5. It just looks... right.

New era, time to bring back #44. It does the University, the players and the fan base no good having it hanging in the rafters for eternity. There were multiple legends that wore the number, why in the world would anyone want to put a hard stop on any more legends wearing it? As I said in another thread, we're not the Yankees.

Fran doesn't need it to recruit. Make it so the recruits see it and know it's out there but keep it just out of their reach until...

They have co-licensing agreements with many SA and it’s way more doable than you think. I wouldn’t view it any different than the Spallina 22 Jersey tee you can buy right now.

I agree 100%.

Got to get John to talk his ESPN buddies to do a 44 for 44 and get 44 the jewel as we know it to be...to be something a HS recruit really really wants to wear.
I'd love for a 30 for 30 on 44 but not sure the story is interesting enough nationally to garner that type of documentary. I think the big issue is not alot of intrigue post Ernie Davis. I think the angle that could work is why it wasn't given to Tucker and if there was something shady going on with the SUAD and the former 44s...who knows.

I'd love for a 30 for 30 on 44 but not sure the story is interesting enough nationally to garner that type of documentary. I think the big issue is not alot of intrigue post Ernie Davis. I think the angle that could work is why it wasn't given to Tucker and if there was something shady going on with the SUAD and the former 44s...who knows.

Honestly I think it's pretty cool that they can't wear 44 until they make it in the NFL and then they can pick that number. It would be a cool recruiting tool to have SU NFL guys talk about that.

I'm assuming that 44, all orange logo-free helmets, are completely off the table at this point for reasons that are above my pay grade.

My assumption is that Wildhack, as an alum and a fan, would have brought them back if he could.

But, what about in 2024?
But seriously, it shouldn't be that hard to reach a compromise. A player will sell way more jerseys if it's #44 and SU can still make $ through profit sharing on 44s with the individual names on them. Or, SU keeps the rights to nameless 44 jerseys and the player keeps the rights to 44 jerseys with his name.
Personally, I would rather have a 44 jersey with no name or one of the past greats, not the current guy who will be gone in a year or two.
How does it work with other #s?

That's not a legal issue though. That has been a courtesy, that frankly, they shouldn't have input on.
That courtesy is how it's typically been done at other schools when a number has been taken out of retirement. But I guess at Syracuse, we have no problem to just give you an honor and yank it right back like it never happened.

Like it or not (and I agree that I wish it hadn't been done) the number was retired and I don't think we can just pretend November 12, 2005 never happened if it suits us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom