Preseason Camp Thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

Hence the reason so many people were enamored with Tommy Devito. He could make all the throws. Being able to make the throw in shorts doesn’t make you a good quarterback though.
And sometimes it does, so you recruit them and put them in a position to succeed. It’s weird that people and using hindsight with TD - I want Dino to recruit a 4* QB with that arm every time. Obviously, you want the other boxes checked too - but a massive ton of CFB QB struggle and don’t succeed.

If every time someone says “good arm” or “nice throw” we have to hear about TD, I’ll lose it

Huge news on Jones! Sounds like a dislocated/broken collarbone? If it was broke there’s no way he would be light jogging right?

I can’t imagine he’d be even light jogging with a broken collarbone. Even with pain meds that would be painful, would more likely be on a bike.

I can say one thing, y'all are consistent. Every year you try and put that newbie QB in as the starter.

And every year he's playing by the end of the year. (Usually because the other guy gets hurt.)

I gotta say, I enjoy this time of year. All the speculation, love it.:)
Just hope we can enjoy the season in its entirety as much as now.

interesting to me in that about half those throws to the sidelines were poorly thrown..it was just a simple 10-15 yd out throw..
I totally agree. In front to far, behind, or low. That’s a throw he should hit 85% of time in hands.

Like Howard Cosell, I can say without compunction that “I never played the game.” That said, whenever I see these videos of practices, one of the first things I think is, Why do players spend so much time just standing around? I know it’s hot. I know they’re tired. But I would think these practices should stress their systems more. I’m sure I’m just not familiar enough with it. Or maybe these are just the less demanding portions of practice. Still, seems like one guy catching a ball, one guy throwing a ball. And 20 guys standing watching seems unproductive.

I’ve heard from multiple solid contacts that there’s no qb battle heading into the season. Its all Shrader
Not sure why so much negativity toward GS. Yes there were ups and downs last year on his throws but there were other factors that affected the passing game.
With the new OC and qb coach I believe there will be improvement. One of the things that got me excited about coach Anae is that people were saying he molded the offense around his players strengths. Not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Also not sure how we can take anything from these limited clips. I cannot even tell which players are involved. I admit I’m using my phone so maybe on a large screen it is better.
None of us will truly know what the offense will do until 9-3. Even then there will be people on the board complaining even if GS threw for 400 yards and 5 scores. Some people are just looking for a reason to complain.
I feel if he could average between 225 to 250 yards per game passing we can have a good season. I know he did not come close last year but that is what I am hoping.
24 more days.

Not sure why so much negativity toward GS. Yes there were ups and downs last year on his throws but there were other factors that affected the passing game.
With the new OC and qb coach I believe there will be improvement. One of the things that got me excited about coach Anae is that people were saying he molded the offense around his players strengths. Not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Also not sure how we can take anything from these limited clips. I cannot even tell which players are involved. I admit I’m using my phone so maybe on a large screen it is better.
None of us will truly know what the offense will do until 9-3. Even then there will be people on the board complaining even if GS threw for 400 yards and 5 scores. Some people are just looking for a reason to complain.
I feel if he could average between 225 to 250 yards per game passing we can have a good season. I know he did not come close last year but that is what I am hoping.
24 more days.
9D331D0D-BAE4-4732-A634-88597EFDF419.jpeg

24 more days.

Well GS can't really throw is my issue. He's not a traditional passer. He missed throws last year where he had time. We're not going to get maximum accuracy from a guy like him. You don't need it either because his legs are weapons but there may be games and halves where he's completely a weight on the offense if they stifle our running game

24 more days.
Shrader not only had to put up with an incompetent offensive scheme, but he had to risk his body/well being to make it even half work.

He’ll be a new QB with the same warrior instincts this year.

24 more days.
I haven't seen a ton of negativity towards Shrader-The majority of the fan base seem pretty positive towards him. There's some who are in wait-and-see mode about his accuracy and I think that's fair.

24 more days.
If the passing game averaged that, SU is winning 8 games, minimum

I think people forget the uva offense under anae with Bryce Perkins. It was extremely different than with Armstrong. I think they know how to get their playmakers the ball and to their strengths. Offense doesn’t need to light the world on fire just not go 3 and out every other series. And if smchit is consistent would make a big difference.
My biggest hope is that the “under pressure” play calling delays last year is a product of the old OC and not babers and Shrader. Bc I don’t remember that being an issue in previous years under babers.

You have to whip your head and shoulders around if you dropping back at all and if you are in the shot gun still have get you shoulders to the target. It’s a high difficulty throw for a right handed qb. If you doing the same on the left hash it’s much easier
Yep. As a former QB, there isn't a much harder throw. Throwing downfield, middle, or on your hash is all pretty easy throws because squaring your shoulders and feet is pretty much guaranteed. Setting up and throwing 35 to 40 yards across your body is not easy.

The only throw more difficult is rolling out and throwing back against the grain. That isn't one that is often simulated in practice because coaches do not want their QBs to throw that pass in the first place!

I totally agree. In front to far, behind, or low. That’s a throw he should hit 85% of time in hands.
Listened to the locked in Syracuse podcast and they mentioned that during very brief 11 on 11 portion of practice, G.S. threw 2 picks trying to make that throw.
Can't take too much from camp, but 2 picks in very few attempts on those sideline throws isn't what you like to hear.

I’ve heard from multiple solid contacts that there’s no qb battle heading into the season. Its all Shrader

Yeah hearing the exact same thing…

A bit of a competition for number 2.

Shrader in non-media, live situations has been easily the most accurate passer.

GS/Tucker are Syracuses hope to get to a bowl game this season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom